mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Redemption vs. Compulsion

i am looking into a bike that will have about 5.5-6.5" suspension in order to handle the terrain around here being rocks, roots, mud and steeps as well as ups, lots of ups. i have an opportunity to get a hold of either an 08 Redemption or an 08 Compulsion for the exact same price. Which to get? They both fit into my price frame and the equilink is a huge selling point since I am going to have to ride up in order to go down. Heres what I am looking for:

- Handles: Rocks, roots, bottom bracket deep mud, occassional free ride class/ resort weekend
    - pedals up and handles the downs
    - is a tough frame and can handle a little bit of abuse
    - is, preferably, less than 34 lbs built

heres the build sheet for both. which do you think?
    Felt Racing Redemption 3: Aggressive All-Mountain Full Suspension Featuring Equilink, 165mm Travel, 6061 Series DB Aluminum w/Hydroform TT, Oversize DT & ST, Butted Seat/Chainstays, Cold- Yokes and Dropouts, 1.5 Head Tube
    FORK/SHOCK:
    RockShox Domain 302 U-Turn Coil, 115/160mm Travel, Motion Control Damping w/Integrated Speedstack, Maxle 360 20mm axle. Fox Float RP2 Air Pro Pedal, Rebound Adjust
    DRIVETRAIN:
    Deore XT “Shadow” Rear Derailleur, Deore Front Derailleur and Rapid fire shifters, Truvative Firex SX 2pc Crankset with External Bottom Bracket, Sram PG-950 Cassette and PC-951 Chain.
    WHEELSET:
    WTB Dual Duty Fr Double-Wall Rims w/eyelets, Shimano M475 RearHub, Felt 20mm front hub, Black Stainless Steel 14g Spokes, Maxxis 2.35 Ignitor Tires with Folding Kevlar Bead.
    COMPONENTS:
    Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc Brakes 203mm FT/185mm RR Rotors, 1.5 Reducer style Headset, Felt Form Freeride Saddle, Alloy Seatpost, Oversized Forged/CNC All Mtn stem, Oversized Butted Alloy Bar, Felt All Mtn Lock-on Grips
    SIZES: S (15.5) / M (17.5) / L (19.5) / XL (21.5)
    COLOR: Smokey Nickel
    WEIGHT: 33.8 lbs

Felt Compulsion 2:
    Compulsion Aggressive Trail/All Mountain Full Suspension Featuring Equilink, 145mm Travel, 6061 Series DB Aluminum w/Hydroform TT, Oversize DT & ST, Butted Seat/Chainstays, Cold Forged Yokes and Dropouts, Fully Integrated Head Tube.
    FORK/SHOCK:
    RockShox Pike 409-U-turn Coil, Turnkey Lockout, 20mm Maxle, Adjustable travel 95-140mm, Motion Control, 32mm Aluminum Stanchions, Floodgate, Rebound & Compression Adjust; Fox Float R Air.
    DRIVETRAIN:
    Sram 27 speed, Sram X-9 Rear derailleur, X-7 Shifters, Shimano Deore XT Front Derailleur, , Truvativ Firex 3.1 2 Pc Crank with External Bottom Bracket, Sram PG-950 Cassette and PC951 chain
    WHEELSET:
    WTB Dual Duty Fr Double-Wall Rims w/eyelets, Shimano M525 RearHub, Felt 20mm front hub, Black Stainless Steel 14g Spokes, Maxxis 2.35 Ignitor Tires,
    COMPONENTS:
    Avid Juicy 5 Brakes 185mm FT/160mm RR Rotors, Fully-Integrated Headset, Felt Façade Dual Density Saddle, Alloy Seatpost, Oversized Forged/CNC All Mtn stem, Oversized Butted Alloy Bar, Felt All Mtn Lock-on Grips
    SIZES: S (15.5) / M (17.5) / L (19.5) / XL (21.5)
    COLOR: Matte Royal Blue
    WEIGHT: 32.2 lbs
    FEATURES OVER COMPULSION THREE: RockShox Pike 409 Coil thru-Axle fork. Sram X-9 Rear Derailleur X-7 Shifters, Firex 2-pc crank wi/ External BB Avid Juicy 5 Brakes

Thread Pollution
    I would go for the Pivot

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    theyre both 1700 and a pivot is out of price range. the 5" pivot is over 3k and if im going over 3k, ill get something else first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Go for the Redemtion for the extra travel. Sounds like you like a bit of free ride and you won't be looking for more travel as you might if you went with the Compulsion. For the same price and not much more weight, the Compulsion sounds right. I saw your other thread about the suspension. I have a Virtue 2 and love it! Unfortunatley I can't compare to anything else as I went from Giant Rincon rigid from the early 90's to my Virtue. HUGE difference obviously! Good luck! Seems like a good price as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    how is the ride on the redemption? i am looking for something with a good feel in the rear, literally. the roots around here are 3" above the ground and all over the place and after 15 minutes, your arse is crying. is it soft enough not to punish the sit bones?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just in case the last question was for me, I haven't ridden the compulsion or redemtion. Only the Virtue 2.

Crash Test Dummy
    I just purchased a 08 Felt Redemption 3. This bike is amazing. Really it does everything you described you need it to without any problems. I just upgraded from an 07 Felt Virtue 3 which is very similar to the Complusion series and I like this bike WAY more than the Virtue. I can take big jumps/drops, bomb down the down hill sections and it climbs almost as well as the Virtue and the 165mm of travel tames even the gnarliest roots and rocks. You won't be disappointed with the Redemption 3.