Thread: Redemption

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Redemption

I just ordered a redemption 2 frame and I was wondering if I could put a 140 or 145mm fork on it.....I'm just not convinced that I need 150+ mm of travel. I realize that this would change that position but would it be workable?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    According to the site, that bikes comes with an adjustable 115-160mm fork, so i would think you'd be fine with 130 or 140mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Some review complain about the rake angle but I dont really understand if they are saying that a shorter travel fork would be better or it needs a longer fork for the rake!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had my LBS bike put together my bike today at which point they told my that my front derailleur wount not clear the equilink bar. Impossible I say as Felts website says the Redemption 2 has a M530 and I picked up an M530. Well a closer look at the picture shows its not the M530 so thankfully they were able to find an M531 that fit.

Is the M531 the one which comes with the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yah, nice of them to misprint that on the website eh. I ordered a FD-M770 for my Redemption 2 buildup, needless to say went to put it on and 'clink'...butts right up against the dogbone. Grabbed a FD-M771 instead and it went together without any issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevalent
    Yah, nice of them to misprint that on the website eh. I ordered a FD-M770 for my Redemption 2 buildup, needless to say went to put it on and 'clink'...butts right up against the dogbone. Grabbed a FD-M771 instead and it went together without any issues.
    Ok, I lied...the FD-M771 doesn't work. Once I installed my crank I had to move the derailleur up just a little and there wasn't enough room to clear both the dogbone and big sprocket (by about 3mm). I just picked up a FD-M531 from the LBS which should at least get me out of the garage, haha.

Looks like the problem boils down to the location of the clamp bolt for the derailleur. Anyone building this bike will need to get a front derailleur that has a side clamp bolt parallel to the derailleur cage itself (the FD-M531 / 581A / 601 / 761 all appear to have this design that should work as do most SRAM derailleurs). The XT components I tried had a clamp bolt that's offset at an angle to the rear which causes the interference issues...XTR, Saint, etc. components all seem to have the same unworkable design but I haven't tried those so YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icerider2001
    I just ordered a redemption 2 frame and I was wondering if I could put a 140 or 145mm fork on it.....I'm just not convinced that I need 150+ mm of travel. I realize that this would change that position but would it be workable?
    I have a Redemption 3 that comes with the RS Domain with U-turn. I, like you was convinced that all that travel was a bit much for cross country use and dialed it down to shorten the travel. It handled horribly. I kept backing it out further and further to make a better ride and ended up riding it with the full 150mm. Your experience may be different as this is a personal thing (how you ride, rider size, terrain ridden, etc.) but I would recommend getting something you can adjust the travel on just in case.
    Round Trip Bike Shop
    A local bike shop in Casa Grande, AZ
    www.roundtripbikeshop.com