Thread: Q720?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Q720?

First I am new to the forums so hello to everyone. I am contemplating getting back into mtn. biking and doing some cross country mild/medium roads.

I have looked at several 09' models from Trek 6000; Gary Fisher Marlin with disc brakes; Gary Fisher Piranha and Hoo Koo E Koo; to Felt Q720 to Haro bikes.

I really like the componetry on the Q720 and the frame design. I like the white color as well. I have yet to ride one but here is what I have researched.

The Dart2 front shock gets alot of bad reviews! I was told that people are riding this shock in conditions that it was not designed for like big drop off's for the main part which has proabably resulted in the bottoming out and failure. This is my main concern for this bike. I do wish it came with the Tora or Recon shock but sometimes you have to do what you can. I want to keep this purchase under $1K if possible and the bike hits that note on the head.

I know I can upgrade the shock later for a beefier front suspension. But my question is if I encountered drop off's what would be acceptable for the most part and I know it is the rider that can control some things but what is within this forks limit? 8", 10"12", or 18" drop that would be safe? I am 6' and weigh 205 lbs. so while I don't see myself as a Clydesdale I am not a 165 lb. 9th grader as well. I worked out all my life with weights so I do have upper body mass mainly.

Just needing some imput on this bike which looks like it will flip the bill for what I need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

felt

Ask your LBS if they can switch the fork out for a few extra bucks if your concerned. I have an 08 Q720 with the Dart2 and have gone off 2-3 foot drops with no problem. I do only weigh 170lbs though. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    They will change it out with no issue. I just wondered what experiences people with this bike and that setup are having. Thanks for the feedback. I will make a decision and purchase something. I really do like the Felt however.
    I am never last; but I am never first either.

Tn Rider
    Oct 2007
    Buy it!!!!
    I have one of the first 720s made, a 07 model, mine has the cables on top of the top tube instead of under as they are now.
    I have beat this bike pretty good and no issues, I changed out the tires, grips, seat and pedals. I have no issue with the Dart2 fork at all, I think some of these "issues" are lower end snobbery, just like the hated SOLE brakes, mine have been flawless, I have been told I would hate them if I ever used anything of quality.
    Also I am 6' at 205 lbs and the single track around here is roots and rocks.

This is my second Felt, I have a roadie also, I like riding something a little different from the masses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the info. You and I are identical in height/weight for the most part so having feedback from someone with experience is a added plus. I do love the 09' model I have been eyeing!

Tn Rider
    Oct 2007
    NCmountians, what part of NC are you from? I'm in Bristol Tn, I would like to get some info on some nc riding, Asheville or any part of the NC hills.
    Buy thatFELT yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am in the Asheville area. Bristol.....hmmmm, your not far away. As far as NC riding or trails there are alot of good Mtn. Bike books with local trails at like Barnes & Nobles and other book stores. I had a few books but once I got into road biking years ago gave them away. Yet to buy the Felt but waiting until the new year.