Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yay!
    Mar 2011

Q620 - Upgraditis hit me, and will continue hitting me.

So... I got my 2010 Q620 a while ago... Creeping up on a year now, I guess. I rode it in complete stock form (minus the swap of SPD pedals) since its purchase date. As with any avid rider, the bug to upgrade nailed me hard!

So I went to the LBS (I'm a loyal, local buyer most of the time) and we put together a list of stuff! Some of it has been purchased elsewhere, but most (and the labor) was done locally.

So far we've done:

Mavic Crosstrail wheelset (setup tubeless)
    Devox TAR 2.1 120tpi
    Shimano SLX Front Derailleur
    Shimano SLX Rear Derailleur
    Shimano SLX Shifters
    SRAM PG980 Cassette
    SDG Fly I-Beam saddle and post.
    Alligator Wind-Cutter Ti-Ni Rotors

Good stuff. Before the various parts were installed, the bike was around 35 pounds. ...yes, heavy. I had the thick slime tubes because I was destroying regular tubes. After the swap out, the bike is right at 28 pounds. The shifting is amazingly smooth by comparison to the Alivio/Deore parts I had.

I still have plans to get a new crankset and BB (I imagine I'll shave some more weight there, and get an even smoother "ride", in the context of drivetrain). I also am searching for a new fork. Some of the ones I'm looking at are around 2 pounds (or more) lighter than my stock fork. I'd love to have my bike in the 25 pound range.

Finally, I think I'm going to swap my front tire out for a WierWolf... I get a bit more front tire slide than I'd care to have (after swapping to the 120tpi tires).

...it's awesome, and it sucks, because I don't want to be poor, but I love putting new bits on my rig. Does anyone have any positive opinions on the WeirWolfs?
    Last edited by Lenbo1982; 04-10-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Not particularly detailed, but here's a nifty image of my rig.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    An update:

I have since upgraded my fork to a RockShox Tora 302 Trail (Solo Air). Good stuff. Hopefully I'll get to hit it some this weekend. I have to get a shock pump first though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am also upgrading a Q620. Reba front fork, SRAM trigger shifters and derauillers, PG980 Cassette, now tryng to decide on brakes. Think I am going to use Formula RX.

Wayne

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Heh, I'm having the same dilemma. I have a handful of brakes that I'm tossing around.

I'll post up when I eventually choose one.

mtbr member
    I have the same Q620... I am newer to biking and can say I nearly fell outta my chair when you said you went from 35 to 28 lbs... holy moly.

Although I thought stock weight was around 31.5 lbs ( i will have to weigh mine when I get it back from the bike shop).

time to start pricing upgrades

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Anom
    I have the same Q620... I am newer to biking and can say I nearly fell outta my chair when you said you went from 35 to 28 lbs... holy moly.

Although I thought stock weight was around 31.5 lbs ( i will have to weigh mine when I get it back from the bike shop).

time to start pricing upgrades
    Well you're actually correct. Stock weight was claimed (by Felt) at 31.5 pounds. I think (as with all manufacturers) that that might be a little optimistic. Call it 32 pounds. Mine was so heavy because I put the super thick Slime tubes in it. While at my LBS, we weighed them, and each tube was something stupid like almost 2 pounds.

From its heaviest (~35 pounds) to it's lightest (now sub 28 pounds) is how I outlined it.

Here is my bike, as it stands now:

Frame: Felt Q620 17.5" 26'er
    Fork: RockShox Tora 302 Trail Solo Air
    Wheels: Mavic Crosstrail
    Tire (F): WTB WeirWolf 2.3 UST 2011
    Tire ( R): WTB WeirWolf 2.1 UST (Uh… older)
    Crankset: Shimano FC-M361-L (Stock)
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Rear Der: Shimano SLX Shadow
    Front Der: Shimano SLX
    Shifters: Shimano SLX
    Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp (Stock)
    Rotors: Alligator Wind Cutter Ti-Ni (180f/160r)
    Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC
    Stem: Bontrager RaceLight 100mm
    Grips: SRAM White Lock-On
    Seatpost: SDG I-Beam Aluminum
    Saddle: SDG I-Fly
    Pedals: Shimano SPD (Don't recall exact model)

At last weigh (5/22/11), 27.7 lbs

I figure I might be able to shave another pound (max) from a brakeset and crankset/bb. :-) I obviously didn't go with the most expensive and lightest parts available. Whenever I start building my dually, I'll end up getting some sort of SID or Reba fork for the bike, and I'm sure that will shave even more. In my personal opinion, I think ~25 pounds is what I can hope for out of this bike, without being one of those insane gram counting weight weenies.

Here is a picture, you can kind of see it behind my wife's Q520. :-)

mtbr member
    I see about the weight issue... All good.

So if I can ask how much you have invested in upgrades?

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Going tubeless was a massive weight saver over the Slime tubes.

...as for cost... I jumped in another thread about sub $2000 hardtails, and mentioned there that my bike was just barely under the $1900 dollar mark including the cost of the original bike.

So figure around $1250 for all the upgrades. :-)

I did a few of the installations myself, some of it I had done at my LBS. :-) I'm sure you could get the parts for "cheaper" and do the work yourself, but I like to be as loyal as possible to my LBS. :-) It ends up not being "cheaper" when/if you have a problem that you can't fix (if you cut the LBS out). The guys at my LBS are often very helpful (both with knowledge and cost), especially since I bought the original bike and much of the parts/labor there. :-)

If I had to guess, you could probably get similar parts for the 900-1000 range altogether, but you'd have to do all the work yourself, and you would be on your own for any issues that might jump up. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenbo1982 View Post
    Not particularly detailed, but here's a nifty image of my rig.

Damn, it looks amazing. Let me know how the tubeless tires are, I've been thinking about upgrading to them if I end up going with the 620 which if all goes well I will.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Oh, I've been running a 2.3 Weirwolf up front and a 2.1 Weirwolf in the rear on the UST wheels for some time now. Stans liquid in them. Freakin' awesome!!! Do it, and never regret it.

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Here's the newest picture I have.

Frame: Felt Q620 17.5" 26'er
    Fork: RockShox Tora 302 Trail Solo Air
    Wheels: Mavic Crosstrail
    Tire (F): WTB WeirWolf 2.3 UST 2011
    Tire ( R): WTB WeirWolf 2.1 UST (Uh… older)
    Crankset: Shimano SLX 170mm
    Cassette: SRAM PG-980
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Rear Der: Shimano SLX Shadow
    Front Der: Shimano SLX
    Shifters: Shimano SLX
    Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp (Stock)
    Rotors: Alligator Wind Cutter Ti-Ni (180f/160r)
    Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC
    Stem: Bontrager RaceLight 100mm
    Grips: SRAM White Lock-On
    Seatpost: SDG I-Beam Aluminum
    Saddle: SDG I-Fly
    Pedals: Shimano SPD (Don't recall exact model)

I'll be changing the brakes soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am working on mine 2008 Q620, but I am alsostarting to build a Santa Cruz Heckler FS Bike.

Here is what I ahve on the Q620 so far:
    Stock Frame 19.5"
    Reba Team 100mm Fork
    LX Crankset
    X.7 Shifters
    x.7 derauillers
    Formula Puro Brakes with Formula 160 rotors
    Sram PG-980 Cassette
    Stock Saddle--Bought a WTB Pure V today--it goes on tomorrow
    Stock WTB SX24 wheels (these gotta go) Weirwolf 2.1's on both ends
    Stock bars and stem
    Sram 971 Chain
    Worn out stock grips
    Forte Platform Pedals

Other than the wheels, everything else is pretty good. Wheels don't do the rest of the bike justice.

I bought the bike used for $250. Probably have about a $1150 in it now. Stupid, but it was fun!

Wayne

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Man, the 620 is a phenomenal bike. I love mine to death. The geometry feels fantastic, the bike is solid... love!

I'm about to start (as soon as it gets here) a Jamis XAM 2.0 from up build from all the scrap parts I have lying around from the 620 take offs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just bought a 2006 Santa Cruz Heckler frame with a Marzocchi Z.1 Freeride FL 140mm fork with a Chris King headset. The Z.1 needs rebuilding, so I bought a Rockshox Pike with a 20mm through bolt axle and put it on the frame. I have a set of Formula RX brakes coming, and I liked the X.7 shifters and derauillers so well on the Q620 thal I bought another set for the Heckler. Still need wheels, handlebars, saddle (If the WTB Pure V that I bought yesterday for the Q620 works well, I will get another for the Heckler since it was on sale at Performance for $40), cables, and a crankset so it will be a while before the Heckler is ready to ride.

Wayne

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Meuir View Post
    I just bought a 2006 Santa Cruz Heckler frame with a Marzocchi Z.1 Freeride FL 140mm fork with a Chris King headset. The Z.1 needs rebuilding, so I bought a Rockshox Pike with a 20mm through bolt axle and put it on the frame. I have a set of Formula RX brakes coming, and I liked the X.7 shifters and derauillers so well on the Q620 thal I bought another set for the Heckler. Still need wheels, handlebars, saddle (If the WTB Pure V that I bought yesterday for the Q620 works well, I will get another for the Heckler since it was on sale at Performance for $40), cables, and a crankset so it will be a while before the Heckler is ready to ride.

Wayne
    Man... there's a guy I've ridden with that has a Santa Cruz Superlight... amazingly awesome bike. He has some CrankBrothers Cobalt wheels on it... total sex!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Rule #58 lenbo, rule #58...

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfreemire View Post
    Rule #58 lenbo, rule #58...
    Don't make me chop you. lol Next time we ride, I'm totally throwing a stick in your spokes. Haha.

...what does the "l" stand for in your name?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey whats up guys Im wondering if any one is running anything larger than the 2.1 tire in the rear? I started with a Q620 frame and I'm building from there Im almost done and hoping to post pictures soon. Thanks for the info in advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ive got a 2.1 wtb weirwolf in the back and i think a 2.3 is probably the biggest you could go, and theyre on a q720 so same frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    wow that was fast... thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lenbo1982, get the SLX brakes and you're done!

What's the weight nowdays?

Yay!
    Mar 2011
    Heh, I actually built the old parts back onto that frame and traded it to jlfreemire's shop for a roof rack!

I have a Salsa Mamasita (full rigid) and a Jamis Dakar XAM I (full squish) now!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfreemire View Post
    Ive got a 2.1 wtb weirwolf in the back and i think a 2.3 is probably the biggest you could go, and theyre on a q720 so same frame

I have a Psycho Genius 2.3 on the rear of my 2011 Q620 which runs fine, but when running slightly lower air pressure you will rub the frame in hard corners, drops/jumps. Also any rocks that your side tread pick up are ejected from the tire before it can pass through the frame opening! In short a 2.3 can be ran but a 2.25 may be more practical.

Frame: Q620
    Fork: 120mm Rockshox Recon Gold RL Solo Air w/remote lockout
    Bars: loaded AMXC
    Stem: Spike DH
    Crankset: Shimano FC-M552 w/External BB Black Ops platform pedals
    Drivetrain: 1x9 w/Dartmoor guide and blackspire bashguard deore rear deraileur
    Tires: (F)Bronson 2.3 (R)Psycho Genius 2.3

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks AM-Q i ended up going with 2.2's front and back. I'll see if i can post pictures soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast