Thread: Q620, or Q520?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Q620, or Q520?

Hey people!

I am wanting to buy my first new real mountain bike, and am on a rather tight budget, so can't decide whether the Q620 is worth it. I am only 16, so I don't need the best bike, but would like to start doing races more seriously. Any input on the Q620's hydro brakes, as I have heard that they are a bit lacking. Are they better that the Q520's mechanical ones?

Thanx

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The 620 has a slightly better drivetrain mix, but not by much. I think its hard to justify the extra money for the 620, but I don't know too much about those hydros. If set up properly they should be better than mechanicals. Maybe you want to buy a bike thats a little better than what you need it for so you can grow into it and not need to buy a new one in a couple years.
    Usually OEM brakes arn't the best, but the feel of hydors is definitely better than mechanicals. Read the reviews, although alot of people say they suck they probably used them for one ride or they didnt set them up properly, the reviews arnt always the best to rely on but do a search or google those brakes for a better idea.

Great... another hobby...
    Jun 2008
    I bought the 08 Q620 early last year. I love the frame but I quickly upgraded nearly every component. Most people say if you are going to do that just buy a better bike to begin with, and I usually agree, but if you are on a very tight budget that isn't practical. This bike will definitely get you on the trail and should you decide you are going to stick with the sport, you can upgrade as needed or desired (I would start with the fork by the way, RS reba works really well.)

Here is mine:

Ride to the base... Climb to the top... Life is peachy!
    Titus FTM
    Felt Q-620

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    My wife loves the Q520 I bought here. Really good bike for the price!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i would just get the 520 the 09 520 comes in a real cool satin black wich i really like i almost bought the 620 butt the local dealer couldnt get my size so i went with a jamis durango 2.0 instead wich it has a better drive train than both the felts. anyway my jamis has the tektro hydro brakes like the 620 and i will say getting good quality mech. brakes like a bb5 set up is far better than cheap hydro brakes. tecktro hydros arent very good. me personaly if i were on youre budget just get the 520 and upgrade as you need later.

=^.^=
    I just got a 2009 Q520 for my first bike too and so far I'm loving it! I'm not too experienced as far as your other options go, but I have no complaints at all and I get compliments all the time =)
    2009 Felt Q520
    UCSC! GO SLUGS!

Tn Rider
    Oct 2007
    I have a 07 Q720 that has been awesome, the OEM Hayes Sole hydro brakes were never great, I didn't know any better until they failed and I installed a set of AVID BB7s and WOW! what a difference, other than that it's been bombproof. Running Panaracer XP Pros.

Short-Change-Hero
    I am in the same boat as the OP... I am looking to get in the sport and local shop sells these and he recommended the Q620 for the price. From what I am reading the disc brakes are the best but will suffice until you break them. But with the geometry and most parts being the same between the bikes I can't decide if the extra money for the hydro discs and little better components is really work the extra $150+. Really, don't most people getting into entry level hardtails end up upgrading the components in a year or so anyways? If that is the case then I would say save the $150, get the Q520 and then spend it on better components, or is my logic flawed?

mtbr member
    i have a 2010 q520 and i love it, the seat that comes with it sucks but everything else is fine

mtbr member
    Either would be fine but buy as much bike as you can possibly afford is the rule of thumb. I have a 2009 Felt Q720 and took a $900 bike and made it into a $1700 pimped out hardtail! It never ends!

mtbr member
    Hey Everyone

I have a 2011 Q520 and i am dying to upgrade the fork to one that doesnt suck.

I want to get more travel out of my bike and just start upgrading components. I have put 200+ miles on the bike and it seems that in comparison to other bikes i've rode, my stock front fork is definitely lacking in performance. The front fork that's on it now really blews..... (the bike it totally stock)

I see pics of some of your bikes that have upgraded forks? Any suggestions? And can i install a new fork if i order it off the internet by myself?

Thanks so much guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is good info. Looking to get back into biking and local shop carries Felt bikes and give a decent discount to city employee's. Was looking at the Q520 and Q620 as they are in my price range. Use is for hardcore weekend warrior trail riding and riding around town with the kids.

J-