mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Pics of my mildly upgraded Nine Sport

Hi all. I am a first year rider (although i road a lot in my youth) and bought a Felt Nine Sport last winter. I absolutely love this bike. I ride mainly AM. I decided to drop a couple bucks into it and these pics are the results.

Other than some mild changes like removing the outer ring for a bash guard an adding a lizard skin. I upgraded (modestly) the cassette to Sram 970 and added a RS Reba Race 80mm front fork and Stans Arch EX wheels.

This thing is so fun to ride. Just thought I would share as I rarely see pics of a modified Nine Sport.

12' Felt NINE Sport

Certifiably Crazy
    Nice! What grips are those? Are they the stock ones?
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, stock grips and bar off of a 12 Felt Nine Comp. My LBS swapped it out before I bought it. Love the orange and black theme on these bikes.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

Certifiably Crazy
    Any particular reason you changed the front tire? I find the AKA's to be good in everything but mud.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I found it washing out more often than i would like on fast swooping turns in loose stuff. AKA is a great tire but I got the Bronson 2.2 for real cheap so I got it as an experiment and just haven't looked back.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

DFMBA.org
    Well, as long as we're on the subject of modified Nine Sports I'll throw mine in the ring.
    Mods:
    - new XT 770 crank (that stock crank/BB was the biggest boat anchor ever)
    - new cockpit (700 mm bar, 90mm stem, Odi Rogues)
    - SLX RD
    - 970 Cassette
    - Shimano chain
    - Arch wheelset w/ X9 hubs
    - CST Caballero tires (2.25) Love these.
    - Reba 90mm fork
    - WTB Pure V saddle

Pics of my mildly upgraded Nine Sport-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350235208.853878.jpg
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by boatcop1 View Post
    I found it washing out more often than i would like on fast swooping turns in loose stuff. AKA is a great tire but I got the Bronson 2.2 for real cheap so I got it as an experiment and just haven't looked back.
    Same here. I took the AKA tires off before they were even worn down for that reason.

Certifiably Crazy
    Hey, how horrible is that rear X9 hub? I've read that it has low points of engagement.Is it that noticeable compared to the stock wheelset? I'm running a Front Arch wheel with a 20mm X9 hub for my Manitou Tower Pro, and have seen rear Arch wheels with an X9 hub for $170.

Here's my Nine Race.

Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Well, as long as we're on the subject of modified Nine Sports I'll throw mine in the ring.
    Mods:
    - SLX RD
    - 970 Cassette
    - Shimano chain
    - Reba 90mm fork
    - WTB Pure V saddle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350235208.853878.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	730635
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mods:
    - SLX RD
    - 970 Cassette
    - Shimano chain
    - Reba 90mm fork
    - WTB Pure V saddle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350235208.853878.jpg 
Views:	1911 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	730635
    Love that crankset. How much $?
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bikes are looking good. I've owned a Felt for 4 year of so and cant fault it at all.

DFMBA.org
    Love that crankset. How much $?
    Got it from Jensen USA on a sale this summer for $149 which is a good deal for that crank. One side note...
    If/when you decide to buy a new crank for the Nine Sport you will have to have the BB faced and possibly, the threads chased deeper into the BB. Felt only machines them out to fit the internal, cheapo BB but an external BB utilizes deeper threading.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Hey, how horrible is that rear X9 hub? I've read that it has low points of engagement.Is it that noticeable compared to the stock wheelset? I'm running a Front Arch wheel with a 20mm X9 hub for my Manitou Tower Pro, and have seen rear Arch wheels with an X9 hub for $170.

Here's my Nine Race.

Hey Carlos,

So far so good with my X9 hubs. The engagement isn't instantaneous but I really don't think it's particularly bad. BTW, did you shave any weight when Felt swapped your frame? Just curious if it's the same as the Sport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Got it from Jensen USA on a sale this summer for $149 which is a good deal for that crank. One side note...
    If/when you decide to buy a new crank for the Nine Sport you will have to have the BB faced and possibly, the threads chased deeper into the BB. Felt only machines them out to fit the internal, cheapo BB but an external BB utilizes deeper threading.
    Wow, great deal. Good for you. Thanks on the heads up on the BB.

I don't know i I want to put more money into it quite yet, i think i may wait till next spring and see what my finances look like. I'm really digging the new Felt 9!
    12' Felt NINE Sport

Certifiably Crazy
    Hey Carlos,

So far so good with my X9 hubs. The engagement isn't instantaneous but I really don't think it's particularly bad. BTW, did you shave any weight when Felt swapped your frame? Just curious if it's the same as the Sport.
    Feels a little lighter, but haven't weighed it. Then again, I'm not a weight weenie when it comes to mountain biking. I got my 16 lb road bike for that.

I'm not looking to upgrade the crank unless a good deal pops up or I somehow break it on a ride. I'll look into a rear wheel purchase soon, though.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great looking bikes guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hi all. I am a first year rider (although i road a lot in my youth) and bought a Felt Nine Sport last winter. I absolutely love this bike. I ride mainly AM. I decided to drop a couple bucks into it and these pics are the results.

Other than some mild changes like removing the outer ring for a bash guard an adding a lizard skin. I upgraded (modestly) the cassette to Sram 970 and added a RS Reba Race 80mm front fork and Stans Arch EX wheels.

This thing is so fun to ride. Just thought I would share as I rarely see pics of a modified Nine Sport.

Love those wheels. Just picked up some Nobby Nics. Is there any value to resell GEAX AXA's and the stock wheels from my Nine 60?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Imo sure there is value. How much i'm not sure. My rear hub was jacked on my stocker and my front wheel was bent so I had no use for em.

Check out the for sale threads and EBAY. They are not the best wheel but may still be an upgrade to some.
    12' Felt NINE Sport

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Imo sure there is value. How much i'm not sure. My rear hub was jacked on my stocker and my front wheel was bent so I had no use for em.

Check out the for sale threads and EBAY. They are not the best wheel but may still be an upgrade to some.
    Maybe sell them separately?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How do you like the Reba vs the stock fork? I have gone out twice on my Nine 80 and think that will be the first thing I upgrade. I had several impacts that felt pretty hard in my wrists and do not like the noise I hear when the front tire lifts off the ground.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The fork is a pretty substancial upgrade IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    How do you like the Reba vs the stock fork? I have gone out twice on my Nine 80 and think that will be the first thing I upgrade. I had several impacts that felt pretty hard in my wrists and do not like the noise I hear when the front tire lifts off the ground.
    Not sure what fork you have but an upgrade from spring to air fork is a huge improvement! My stock fork was trash and I out rode it after only a couple weeks of riding! Upgrade!!
    12' Felt NINE Sport

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    HUGE upgrade as in night/day. My Reba SL is dual air and rides like butter compared to the stock XC 28. Its also a full pound lighter.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing