mtbr member

Noob Looking at the NINE Comp

I'm a noob coming from an old 1985 sears 27" 10 speed road bike to a woods bike.
    I really wanted to stay in the $600.00 area but I keep giving the NINE Comp my attention.
    I will ride logging roads, crush & run gravel, and a little asphalt. Living in the N. GA mountains there are steep sections to deal with. No hot dogging stunt riding.
    An @ 56 yo and not in shape, its gonna be fun.
    My measurements are below.

Would you say this already has the things I may want to upgrade a $600.00 bike with being a better fork and brakes to name a couple?

Does the fork have a lockout feature and is the damping adjustable?
    what are the total speeds?
    Should I get the 21.5 frame. There are no dealers close by. Who can I order from?

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010...NINE-Comp.aspx

6'2" with shoes and 215 lbs.

Gender M
    Inseam 32 in (a little more with shoes)
    Trunk 25 in
    Forearm 13 in
    Arm 19 in
    Thigh 24 in
    Lower Leg 23 in
    Sternal Notch 60 in
    Total Body Height 73 in

mtbr member
    I got the 2009 Nine Race and love the bike! The frame is rock solid and you can always upgrade bits and pieces over time.

I'm 6' and riding the L (19.5"). At first, I thought it might be just a bit too big, but after riding it for just a couple of rides, I was completely comfortable and it was spot on. I'm not sure if you should go up to the 21.5" at 6'2" or not. It comes down to personal preference at that point. Do you like a longer reach or shorter?

The 839mm standover height of the XL converts to 33", so it may be a bit tall for you. The L is 805 or 31.7" and I'd say that's about right. It's closer to the boys than I'm used to, but I haven't had any issues in a year of riding... including a few emergency dismounts.

I just completed a 215 mile, 7 day ride (Durango to Moab) on my Felt and was it was great. Comfortable, fast, climbed great (despite the engine!), and ZERO mechanicals or flats!!

They're great bikes and I wholeheartedly recommend it! I would say, however, that if you can find a shop within a reasonable distance to take a ride, you should... that goes for any new bike in my opinion.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll have to go to a shop and see if I need a 19 or 21 inch frame.