Thread Pollution

NinePro problem?

The back drop outs on my 2007 ninepro measure 138 mm apart. The bike came with a 9 speed xt hub that measures 135mm.
    When riding the quick release squeezes the drop outs together tight enough to back out the lock nuts on the hub.I have never seen an aluminum frame with this much lateral flex in the chainstays. Any one else have this problem?
    What do other ninepro bikes measure in at?

Thread Pollution
    Felt emailed me an told me to take it the shop ,so I did.after my freewheel seized from the back chain stays having to be clamp down hard to make up the 3mm difference ,i dropped the frame and backwheel off at the lbs I purchased it from. It's been over a month and yet to receive a response from the local Felt rep .
    Hello,customer service,I'm getting alittle annoyed that your always out to lunch

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are the Pro and Elite frames the same? If so I can measure mine tomorrow before I ride and post back.

mnt bike laws of physics
    WOW! 3mm off !!!
    I just bought a new 2007 Virtue R frame and this is the first frame i had that the dropouts were too far apart. I just measured them and they were only 1.2mm too wide at 136.2mm. I thought that was a gap. I can see your dilema because I have to pay close attention to my wheel when I put it in.
    Your is definitely a manufacturing defect.

I have a design defect in mine i found recently. The pivot bolt that connects the swingarm to the main frame is a fully threaded steel rod. It goes through the main frame which is unthreaded aluminum. Can you see where this is going real quick? In less than a week the steel bolt has bitten into the aluminum in the main-frame and there is now permanent play in the swingarm. Were talkin' the work of a complete moron here. I lost all respect for Felt. No reponse from costomer service yet, so i called sales and the guy i talked to was very nervous and acted funny about it. He basically played dumb which he did very well.

I bought mine from Frankie Flats 4 hours away. Were did you get yours makachut?

Thread Pollution
    yeah.I bought it from the same place you did,Frankie Flats in Santa Fe ,New Mexico, it's not Frank's fault .And when I emailed and contacted Felt ,the person played the same game.
    well now
    Game over ,I want my frame and back hub replaced,before I have to contact a consumer advocate..

mnt bike laws of physics
    Frankie called me today and said that he talked to the Felt rep about it and he knew right away what he was talking about. They are supposedly going to make a part to fix it mabey by the end of the year AND I would have to pay for it.

What is a Consumer Advocate and where do you find one? When you contact one, I would like to know the contact info so i can get a hold of the same person. That way he can have a mouthful for Felt when he gets in touch with them.
    This is total BS. They know there is a defect and are still selling frames This will not be good for Felt because like you i don't put up with this kind of crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i recently purchased a 2008 felt ninepro and after about a month of riding the casing on the freewheel snaped. This was while going downhill under very little pedel pressure. I took it to the shop over a month ago and am still waiting on Shimano to replace the defective part. I expect better service when spending this kind of money on a bike or any other product for that matter.

Thread Pollution

get a ruler out

Quote Originally Posted by coryell
    i recently purchased a 2008 felt ninepro and after about a month of riding the casing on the freewheel snaped. This was while going downhill under very little pedel pressure. I took it to the shop over a month ago and am still waiting on Shimano to replace the defective part. I expect better service when spending this kind of money on a bike or any other product for that matter.
    measure the space between the back dropouts.9 speed cassette and hub measure 135 mm perhaps your chainstays are too wide on your ninepro and are pressing hard enough against your free wheel hub when skewer is closed that it F#@k with your hub.
    .....from my Felt experience....and Felt customer service is basically non existent,

Thread Pollution
    never buy one again.My LBS offered me a replacement frame for $400.No thanks, was my reply. I'm going to throw my ninepro frame in a camp fire this summer and melt it down for scrap.so long FELT

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    you sons of *****es. i just got screwed by kona and my other bike is a felt virtue. you guys are making me nervous. i had some shifty stuff with my felt. my bottom bracket started making some awfull noise so i pulled the cups off and in the tube as well as bearing were a crap load of metal shavings. i looked all over my cranks for where they came from and then i realized there were more comming down throught the down tube. the shavings were from where they drilled through the frame to mount the shock and they never cleaned it out. how bush league is that. anyways, after kona hosed me i decided to put the 29er fork from it on my virtue just to check it out and it is awsome. given felt may be shitting the bed in customer service, i absolutly love my virtue set up 69er style.i thought it felt really loosey goosey when it was set up normal but now it rocks. however, when this bike goes. im not buying another felt or kona.