Thread: New SS Ordered

mtbr member

New SS Ordered

This is a cross post from the single speed forum.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered a Felt 9 Solo.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010...NINE-Solo.aspx

A short while later a buddy told me he has had problems with Felt's frame quality and customer service. Any one else have issues with Felt? I've seen nothing but great reviews online.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You'll be stoked on the new 2010 SS - been on their new Nine Race which is their XT/Reba Alum HT. Very impressed w/ the frame ride quality and the construction is top notch too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've been using a Felt 9 SS this year as my training/fun bike this past season. I've ridden it hard and have had absolutely zero frame related issues. My only two complaints were the stock wheels and brakes. Both of which I swapped out....
    Overall it's a great bike, and I would buy another!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you'll love that bike i have the 08 version and its a blast to ride and i have had no issues on it and i ride it hard(small jumps and fast downhills) for mutiple hours

mtbr member
    I am giving the Solo some serious consideration for next season.

Keep us (me!) informed, I want to know how you like it, and if there are any issues.

mtbr member

Bike Review

OK, I got the bike a few weeks back, but didn't want to post a review until I had some real saddle time on it on a variety of conditions. So here's the big review!

Gripes: OK, I'll get these out of the way. I found the bars too wide, and the stem too long, but I don't see this as a real gripe as these are very personal "set-up" parts. The bars really chattered at high speed rough ground though. I've swapped out the stem to a 90 mm Race Face, and the bars to an Answer Carbon riser. Huge improvements! For reference, I'm 6'0" and 195 lbs.

Also, because the trails are so slimy this time of year, I swapped the race slick Vulpines for a pair of used Kenda Nevagals, 39 x2.2. The rear seatstays are so narrow that the outer knobs of the Nevs rubbed during hard standing climbs. I've actually used some nips to trim those knobs, but I don't think a 2.2 inch tire is all that wide. They should have made these stays wider.

Likes: With the as equipped Vulpines on, this bike is rocket fast up moderate climbs. Once I swapped out the bars and stems, the bike rips through narrow twisty singletrack.
    The fork feels like a rigid (in a good way). It's very responsive, and the front end feels incredibly light for lifting up onto obstacles. Amazingly, this fork also soaks up roots and big hits smoothly with no drama at all. I really like this fork as I hate mushy forks and normally ride SS rigid.

For an aluminum bike, I'm surprised at the ride. Fairly flexy in a good way and bad. A riding partner observed when I was mashing up a hill he could visibly see large amount of slack then tightening of the chain. This also contributed to the 2.2 tires rubbing when mashing up the steeps.

The bike is a bit twitchy in fast descents, and really steep rough descents and downhill switchbacks are gives me a bucking sensation.

Overall however, I really like the bike. I still feel I need to dial in the setup a bit. I need some setback on a seatpost, as I have the saddle slammed back and it still needs to go back a tad. I plan to race this bike, so I'll be throwing some lighter parts on it. However, out of the box at the bike shop it came in at 24.7 lbs. Not bad for a mid priced large framed 29er.

I'd rate this bike 8 out of 10 overall. Hope my review helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by octotat
    OK, I got the bike a few weeks back, but didn't want to post a review until I had some real saddle time on it on a variety of conditions. So here's the big review!

Gripes: OK, I'll get these out of the way. I found the bars too wide, and the stem too long, but I don't see this as a real gripe as these are very personal "set-up" parts. The bars really chattered at high speed rough ground though. I've swapped out the stem to a 90 mm Race Face, and the bars to an Answer Carbon riser. Huge improvements! For reference, I'm 6'0" and 195 lbs.

Also, because the trails are so slimy this time of year, I swapped the race slick Vulpines for a pair of used Kenda Nevagals, 39 x2.2. The rear seatstays are so narrow that the outer knobs of the Nevs rubbed during hard standing climbs. I've actually used some nips to trim those knobs, but I don't think a 2.2 inch tire is all that wide. They should have made these stays wider.

Likes: With the as equipped Vulpines on, this bike is rocket fast up moderate climbs. Once I swapped out the bars and stems, the bike rips through narrow twisty singletrack.
    The fork feels like a rigid (in a good way). It's very responsive, and the front end feels incredibly light for lifting up onto obstacles. Amazingly, this fork also soaks up roots and big hits smoothly with no drama at all. I really like this fork as I hate mushy forks and normally ride SS rigid.

For an aluminum bike, I'm surprised at the ride. Fairly flexy in a good way and bad. A riding partner observed when I was mashing up a hill he could visibly see large amount of slack then tightening of the chain. This also contributed to the 2.2 tires rubbing when mashing up the steeps.

The bike is a bit twitchy in fast descents, and really steep rough descents and downhill switchbacks are gives me a bucking sensation.

Overall however, I really like the bike. I still feel I need to dial in the setup a bit. I need some setback on a seatpost, as I have the saddle slammed back and it still needs to go back a tad. I plan to race this bike, so I'll be throwing some lighter parts on it. However, out of the box at the bike shop it came in at 24.7 lbs. Not bad for a mid priced large framed 29er.

I'd rate this bike 8 out of 10 overall. Hope my review helps!

Try changing your fork from 80mm to the 100mm setting (remove the spacer from the left hand air leg), I think this will resolve all your feelings of it being twitchy on the descents and the bucking sensation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimtech
    Try changing your fork from 80mm to the 100mm setting (remove the spacer from the left hand air leg), I think this will resolve all your feelings of it being twitchy on the descents and the bucking sensation.

Thanks! I'll try that. I hadn't yet tried optimizing any shock settings. 20mm more travel should definitely change things

mtbr member
    I think I would be more concerned with the visible slack appearing in the chain when pedaling.

Is this a known Al frame issue, or a chain adjustment thing?