Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Is it summer yet?

My terrible, awful experience with FELT

Bought a brand new Felt F4 last spring, $2300. Rode it 5 times. The carbon seatstay cracked.

I did not wreck it or drop it, it was pure manufacturer defect. Sent it to Felt to be warrantied. Fought with them for EIGHT MONTHS (they outright lied and claimed I wrecked it, when there was no other scratch on the pristine, brand new bike.) Finally, they forced me to pay $600 to get a crash replacement (even though never crashed) and sent me a Felt FC frame.

Of course, you will get no warranty and the poorest service of your life. I would never, never, never buy another Felt!!!!!
    Last edited by crisillo; 04-13-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: removed spam

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    I hate to say it but that's why I haven't made the "Carbon Leap" yet.

mtbr member
    That's not the carbon's fault. There are thousands of functioning carbon bikes with intact seatstays. Bikes break. There are manufacturing defects. These things happen, and are not really in anyone's control. Bad customer service is something they could control, and chose not to.

Is it summer yet?
    Yes Nato, I tend to agree with you. I have had 2 Carbon Treks, and they had no issues. But with the whole Felt experience, I have chosen to just simplify and go aluminum. I bought a Specialized Dolce.

Specialized.. now THAT is a company that knows how to give good customer service!!

mtbr member
    I'm surprised your LBS wasn't more helpful. I've worked at a few shops. When we've run into that issue, with an obvious warranty claim denied by the manufacturer, the store would just eat the cost of the replacement frame. Not every store would do that, but it's better to spend $600 on a frame than to have a pissed off customer who hates their bike/brand.

Is it summer yet?
    Ah, if only that were so. The LBS said that it was clear that Felt was not willing to budge. Then they proceeded to tack $200 onto the price of the frame from Felt, for the cost of "shipping and reassembly". I told them to stuff the reassembly, as I intended to just sell the frame anyway. Certainly don't want to be going through this again!

mtbr member
    That's pretty messed up. Standard mark-up on bikes is about 30%. That's not profit, that's just the markup from wholesale. So for a $2300 bike, they made $690, not taking into account their overhead, wages, etc. It's strange to me that they would rather take $690 and have a pissed off customer, than take $90, and create a customer for life, who would buy their next bike there, their accessories, tubes, get maintenance done there, etc.

It's a short-sighted business model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Which LBS was this, Workout Chick ? This sounds pretty weak that they treated you that way. I don't know what the intended use of the F4 is, but if you look over at the Ibis forum, you will see all kinds of examples of carbon failure, but Ibis has a good reputation and seems to always leave their customers satisfied. I dont know much about Felt as a company - they're apparently real big in road and BMX, and recently got into FS bikes.
    Its funny, people either seem to love this company or hate it, I guess based on their experience. If you look at other threads, there's other people who have had stuff warrantied buy Felt with no issues at all. How many times did you say you rode this bike ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Maybe you crashed it lady.

mtbr member
    Hey Felt, I have this awesome idea for a mountain bike. The only thing is, you can't ever let it touch the dirt, or it will explode.

Seriously though, I've seen some GT carbon bikes that have been crashed dozens and dozens of times without being totaled.

Is it summer yet?
    Um, no, OuterNational.. that was kinda the point of my post. I never crashed it. But thanks for your totally unhelpful post! Geez....

And we are actually not even talking about a mt bike here.. it was a ROAD bike, ridden only on roads. If they treat their road bike carbon failures like this, I can't even imagine how they treat their MT bike carbon failures.

As for my LBS - I bought it in another state, 2000 miles away, then moved to my current location in WA state. So, I guess the LBS Felt Dealer here (Fanatik) had no motivation to help me, since they did not sell me the bike themselves. Sad.

The Crow
    I have dealed with Felt SA and their service has always been top-notch.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just got screwed by kona when their frame bent like a paperclip and they tried to say i crashed it. needless to say i am little worried since my other bike is a felt. bottom line, buy a trek or specialized. i have seen and experienced for myself them giving brand new upgrades with no questions asked.

Is it summer yet?
    Lucky you, Iwan. That was not our experience at all.

Team Cspine

Bummer...

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutChick
    As for my LBS - I bought it in another state, 2000 miles away, then moved to my current location in WA state. So, I guess the LBS Felt Dealer here (Fanatik) had no motivation to help me, since they did not sell me the bike themselves. Sad.
    I love my Z35 and it works great even with my clydesdale fat @ss on it. Maybe if you split the difference between NC and Washington and dealt with my LBS? They're great guys and would go out their way to help.

Sorry you got hosed like that.
    Sorry what?

Go SOLAR...
    Workout.....did you get in contact with the shop that sold it to you? If what your saying is the truth...and I have no reason to doubt it is, that has to be the worst CS story I have heard.
    How in the world do they claim that it was wrecked if there were no other scratches on the bike. There is not a chance in hell that if it was wrecked the bike wouldn't have some signs of this.

The sad thing is Felt just took their name off my short list for my next purchase. Hell they don't give a damn anyway, they must be selling bikes left and right and don't need my money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    WOAH!

I just recently bought a Felt Virtue 1. I'm so proud of that thing and I read all of this? I'm a little stiffled by this and now I'm a bit worried. If something terrible happens, am I going to get screwed over by the factory for manufacturing defects?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Someone always throws the never buy carbon card. This is not the first report of such a thing on mtbr from Felt. Do a search u might find more.

Is it summer yet?
    larlev - Yes, I contacted the shop that sold it to me. I was even friends with them. By that time, I lived in WA, and not NC (where the shop is.) They were not helpful at all, sadly. And I have NO idea how they can claim it was wrecked when it was otherwise spotless. Not even any tire wear!

CTVirtue.. I wish you the best. Hopefully you have a good bike, and mine was just a lemon.

Glovembt - I hear ya.. I now own an Aluminum Specialized... and let me tell you, THAT is a company that knows a thing or two about customer service! THEY ARE AMAZING!

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutChick
    larlev - Yes, I contacted the shop that sold it to me. I was even friends with them. By that time, I lived in WA, and not NC (where the shop is.) They were not helpful at all, sadly. And I have NO idea how they can claim it was wrecked when it was otherwise spotless. Not even any tire wear!

CTVirtue.. I wish you the best. Hopefully you have a good bike, and mine was just a lemon.

Glovembt - I hear ya.. I now own an Aluminum Specialized... and let me tell you, THAT is a company that knows a thing or two about customer service! THEY ARE AMAZING!

I don't know.....I work for a Felt dealer.....they have always been great to work with. Granted we are close to the corporate office and were one of the 1st dealers in our area.

And yes, I do have my own experience with Felt Warranty......bought a F60 in 2004 and rode it for 3 years. One day cleaning, noticed what looked to be cracks where the carbon seatstay bonded with the aluminum frame. Send the frame in, they inspected it and notified my that it was only the paint at the joint and that there was nothing structurally wrong with it.......however, they warrantied it without question.

Had a customer in 2008 that sent his 2002/2003 F35 in because the sleeve that the rear brake goes through, became loose. Felt found a hairline crack in one of the chainstays and warrantied it, no quesitons asked.

I have yet to have Felt flat out deny a warranty claim, except in crash replacement situations. We ahve been a dealer since early 2004.

I would blame the LBS for the way they presented it to Felt. Sounds like they did the very minimum to help you out.

Is it summer yet?
    Honestly mtnbkj, it is hard to believe you are even talking about the same company. I had owned my bike for only SIX MONTHS! After getting little help from our LBS (on either coast) we worked with Felt directly (as my husband is a bike mechanic who works at another, non-Felt bike shop). Not only were Felt employees unhelpful, at times they were downright NASTY. Also, our LBS here in Washington said "I can't figure out what Felt's criteria is. Sometimes they warranty things, and other times they just refuse in perfectly valid situations."

Guess I was one of the unlucky ones. But going forward, I will only deal with companies with a rep for EXCELLENT customer service, and your experience nonwithstanding, Felt is NOT that company. Boo Hiss and shame on them.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    We're Felt's largest dealer in Colorado, and we have never seen anything like this. Over the past 6 years we have probably had 7 or so warranties (out of a few thousand bikes). A very low warranty rate. As easy as they are to deal with I could not imagine a situation where a broken bike that was never crashed would not be replaced. That's just my experience as one of the largest Felt dealers. Felt is a company full of hard working, customer first people. We are very selective on the bike manufacturers we work with and Felt is an easy choice for us to recommend.

Yours clearly was not a normal experience, and I'm sorry to hear that.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Is it summer yet?
    Felt may have some hardworking and helpful people, but I was not able to find any of them in my 6-month long battle to get them to warranty my defective bike. So, sorry to say, they are also a company full of assy, unhelpful people. I did everything I could, asked nicely, insisted, then eventually raised hell.. dealt with at least 2 bike shops and more than 4 people at Felt Central... and NOTHING.

As a result, I would NEVER reccommend a Felt to anyone, unless I really hated that person.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Wow, clearly something "odd" happened in your case.

We have 3000 or so Felt customers that haven't experienced anything like that. In fact just the opposite, we have many return customers who come back to buy another Felt when it's time to upgrade.

I hope your future bikes don't give you any more trouble

keep on riding.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Is it summer yet?
    Oh, I will keep on riding. Just not on a Felt. They will never get another dime from me, esp. not after the $1000 loss I was forced to take as a result of their pisspoor service. And honestly, I don't think it is THAT odd of an occurence, at least not according to our local Felt bike shop here in Bellingham.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast