Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtb enthusiast

My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport

Just got delivered last Friday and I'm pretty stoked to get out and ride it, but an injury is holding me back right now. When I get some miles on it I'll post a review, but for right now I thought I'd 'share' her with the readers. It's a 19.5" frame for a guy who's 6'1", 190lbs. If anyone wants to read the specs, they're posted here:
    Nine Sport - Felt Bicycles

I will say this, Felt does a nice job on the aesthetics and the attention to details is pretty impressive (i.e. color-coded and/or branded spacers, top cap, spoke nipples, grips, fork graphics and even subtle branding on the cables and saddle) Anyway here are some pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport-dsc_0472-2-1024x681-.jpg  

My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport-dsc_0473-2-1024x681-.jpg  

My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport-dsc_0474-2-1024x681-.jpg  

My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport-dsc_0475-2-1024x681-.jpg  

My new 2012 Felt NINE Sport-dsc_0468-1024x678-.jpg  

bmh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice bike, I'm still enjoying my 2011 Sport.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh View Post
    Nice bike, I'm still enjoying my 2011 Sport.
    Thanks. Have you made any upgrades to yours? If so, what?

bmh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nothing major, Stan's tubeless conversion and a pair of Ergon GX1's.

Trying to decide on a FD\RD and Crankset. The current setup does alright but I want some that responds quicker.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh View Post
    Nothing major, Stan's tubeless conversion and a pair of Ergon GX1's.

Trying to decide on a FD\RD and Crankset. The current setup does alright but I want some that responds quicker.
    Yea, the crankset on the bike is the glaring weakness. I'm not sure I like the curve of the crank arms all that much. Interesting you got Stan's to work on the bike. When I ordered my bike I paid my lbs up front to make it tubeless when it came in. When it arrived, the shop owner stated that he had changed his mind due the fact that the WTB SX-17 stock rims may not be tubeless compatible, and refunded my money. I guess he didn't want the liability, which I understand. That said, what rims came on yours and how difficult was it to do a Stan's conversion? Were the tires UST? Sorry for the peppering of questions but right now I have the slime tubes and I would love it if the Stan's conversion works well on this bike.

Sent from my mountain bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sweet! I just bought one too along with a Q24 for my 11yo son. Unfortunately, its still at the shop. I asked them to hold it until x-mas so I can sneak it under the tree.

bi-winning
    The bike looks nice. I hope you enjoy it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander179 View Post
    Sweet! I just bought one too along with a Q24 for my 11yo son. Unfortunately, its still at the shop. I asked them to hold it until x-mas so I can sneak it under the tree.
    Have fun with it. The color makes them a head-turner on trails. Love mine thus far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

nice bike

Nice bike!

Certifiably Crazy
    I'm ordering a 2012 Felt Nine Sport on Wednesday! I'm pretty excited to get back into the MTB scene. I've only been doing road riding for the past year and a half, but used to hit the MTB trails before then. What's a good 29er fork to upgrade to when I destroy mine?

Felt said they're shipping to dealers in March.

Carlos

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    I'm ordering a 2012 Felt Nine Sport on Wednesday! I'm pretty excited to get back into the MTB scene. I've only been doing road riding for the past year and a half, but used to hit the MTB trails before then. What's a good 29er fork to upgrade to when I destroy mine?

Felt said they're shipping to dealers in March.

Carlos
    Congrats Carlos, you'll love the bike. That said, I'm looking to upgrade to a RS Reba if I can find one in black. Good all-around fork with air, lockout, and rebound adjust that will shave at least a pound off the stock fork. Your options are greater if you are willing to put a white fork on the bike, but I can't bring myself to do this on my Nine Sport. The whole bike is a black/orange scheme and it looks bad-ass, and imo a white fork won't look right. Fox also makes black fork (Talas) but its about the same price as the bike itself.

Another thing to consider when you decide to pull the trigger is a thru-axel fork, at least for the front. This will mean a wheel set change. In the coming months I'll be switching out the stock WTB SX-17 wheels for Stan's Arch wheelset so I can run tubeless and have the option of keeping my current fork, then changing to a TA at some point. A wheelset change will also shave weight.

Finally, the bike uses a straight 1 1/8" steerer for the head tube, so a tapered steerer won't work. Post some pics when you get it and congrats again!
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Certifiably Crazy
    Ordered it this morning. It won't be here until the second week of March! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait! I'm a full-time roadie until then.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

DFMBA.org
    Ordered it this morning. It won't be here until the second week of March! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait! I'm a full-time roadie until then.
    Be (a little) patient. Mine took 6 weeks to arrive but it sounds like you're on par for that.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I ordered mine Friday and I got the samething they wont be here till mid March.

Certifiably Crazy
    I got a call from my LBS this morning.

Look what I picked up today. Can't wait to break it in on Monday.

Pardon the mess.

Photo Album - Imgur

Question, I just noticed this space in between the frame and crank arm.

Is it supposed to be there? Shouldn't it be flush?

Carlos
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey did yours come with the orange pedals and I ordered mine arround the sameyime as you so I should be getting it soon too I hope

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by trailripper84 View Post
    Hey did yours come with the orange pedals and I ordered mine arround the sameyime as you so I should be getting it soon too I hope
    Hi, no it didn't come with the pedals. I got Wellgo MG1s from Ebay ahead of time.
    New WELLGO MG-1 MG1 Magnesium BMX / MTB PEDALS - Orange | eBay
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtb enthusiast
    I got a call from my LBS this morning.

Look what I picked up today. Can't wait to break it in on Monday.

Pardon the mess.

Photo Album - Imgur

Question, I just noticed this space in between the frame and crank arm.

Is it supposed to be there? Shouldn't it be flush?

Carlos

Same on my bike. Just a byproduct of the square-taper BB, I think. Congrats on your new NINE. I like the orange pedals, btw. Nice touch. If you haven't had a chance to mess with the rebound yet, try the midway point of your fork feels like its a bit pogo stick-ish. I also had to drop the nose of the saddle one 'click' for better male comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Those are nice looking bikes. I just picked up a Felt Nine Comp yesterday. I was not that familiar with the Felt brand so I was hesitant but at only $600 I think I got a good deal (does this appear to be a good deal to others as well?). He told me is was last years model but doing a little research I think it is 2010 as there does not appear to be a comp model in 2011. I hope felt works out for you and for me.

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranar View Post
    Those are nice looking bikes. I just picked up a Felt Nine Comp yesterday. I was not that familiar with the Felt brand so I was hesitant but at only $600 I think I got a good deal (does this appear to be a good deal to others as well?). He told me is was last years model but doing a little research I think it is 2010 as there does not appear to be a comp model in 2011. I hope felt works out for you and for me.
    Sounds like a great deal to me!
    NINE Series - Felt Bicycles

Post pictures if you get a chance and enjoy the ride!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been looking/riding 29ers a lot lately, and narrowed my choices down to two w/in my price range: so very close in scoring, but the Specialized Carve Comp just lacks a certain something on a visual level that the Felt Nine Sport absolutely nails in simplicity. I think one of the finest looking bikes on the floor these days. Great choice!

DFMBA.org

Newer look with Stan's Arch wheel set and Ritchey grips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 2011 Felt Nine Trail. I upgraded the fork to a Manitou Tower Expert. So far it's a good improvement. The fork was on sale and I couldn't pass it up at $200. The only other issue, if it is one, is that there is very little clearance between the tire and the front derailleur when in the granny ring. The lbs (I moved so not where I bought it) adjusted it, trued the rear wheel, and told me it was due to the frame. I'm thinking it might have more to do with the chainline of the cheap crankset. The sport has a different (but still SR suntour) crankset so maybe yours is different.

Certifiably Crazy

From this morning's ride.
    The more I ride it, the more apparent it is I need to upgrade the front derailleur. I'm probably going all XT over the summer. I am surprised at how good the Tektro brakes are.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    I have a 2011 Felt Nine Trail. I upgraded the fork to a Manitou Tower Expert. So far it's a good improvement. The fork was on sale and I couldn't pass it up at $200. The only other issue, if it is one, is that there is very little clearance between the tire and the front derailleur when in the granny ring. The lbs (I moved so not where I bought it) adjusted it, trued the rear wheel, and told me it was due to the frame. I'm thinking it might have more to do with the chainline of the cheap crankset. The sport has a different (but still SR suntour) crankset so maybe yours is different.
    Well, the positioning of the rear tire to the front derailleur depends on the FD geometry. Felt does have pretty short chain stays on their nine series. You could move to something like an XT derailleur which has a lower profile than the stock one, allowing for more tire clearance. If you're looking to change tires then you might want to start with the FD and seeing if this will remedy a tire clearance situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast