mtbr member
    Aug 2010

My 09 Felt Compulsion 1

Picked up a brand new 17.5" Compulsion on closeout last night. I'm very impressed with the build quality and XT drivetrain...

Anyone have any setup tips before I hit the trails ?

I initially set the rear at 14mm (they reccomend 14-17)... seems very plush but this is my first full suspension, alway been hardtail guy. Set sag on the fork to about 20%... rebound, compression and blowoff all set to the middle settings and I'll tweak w/ trailtime if noone has any better initial suggestions...

Also I have a question... It should be fairly simple for me to switch the shifters inboard and brake levers outboard correct ... has anyone done this ? I'd really like the hook on the brake lever lined up with my index finger for one finger braking but this puts the shift controls too far away...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I have a 3 model, also got it on closeout from my LBS. I have been very happy with the bike, I definately put it to the test.
    Rueben

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am very ahppy w/ mine as well... I don't have a lot of experience with high-end full suspensions; but this thing climbs like a Goat, eats up single track and takes drops like a champ. The fact that I got it for 45% off is just icing on the cake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Are they XT shifter pods? Take off the shift indicators for more room to move your brakes outboard.

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

09 Compulsion

I have a 17.5" as well. i got mine a year ago now. They are fantastic, I have however changed the brakes out for more powerful ones as the bike warrents them. It also benefited hugely from a 50mm stem. As far as the suspension set up goes I like quite a bit of slow speed damping, mid range rebound and the strongest pro pedal platform. I am considering changing the fork to a 160mm in order to slacken the head angle a couple of degrees. At high speed the bike could use a slacker head angle. All in all a great ride.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yes they are XT pods... I decided against moving them inboard. Turns out i like it better with them both (lever and shifter) simply moved over quite a bit.

What brakes did you change to if you don't mind me asking ? So far the XT 775's that came on it are phenomenal... light touch and massive grab.

Why did it happen to me
    Feb 2004

Replacement brakes

I swapped them out for Hope Tech 2 levers with a 7" X2 Caliper in the rear and a M4 caliper on the front, also 7" I went the whole hog and got floating rotors and braided hoses. They are like night and day from the xt's. I thought the xt's were good until I rode on the hopes. My mono mini's with 6" rotors on my single speed had more power than the 7" xt's.
    It is a sweet ride now. I also put a 50mm stem on it that made alot of difference. I'll post pics at some point.
    If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Wow... sounds like an upgrade I'll have to keep in mind when these XT's can't hang anymore, or I get fast enough to overpower them!

As far as the 50 mm stem... how tall are you ? Which model did you go with ? I don't feel to stretched out on it now at about 5'11' but I'd be very interested to feel the ride with the bars a little closer...

The only thing I was planning on doing was an adjustable seat post ...