mtbr member

More sizing help...Felt Nine Comp

I normally ride a 18.5" or medium frame in a 26er. Should I move up to the 19.5" or down to the 17.5" in the felt nine? I am 5'10.5" tall with 31.5" true inseam (220lb if that matters).

When they list stand over height in a geometry spec, how is that measured? Half way between seat post and steer tube? Is that the actual height or is that the minimum stand over height (allowing for 1.5" clearance)?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I would go 17.5. I am between 5-11 and 6-0 and ride a 17.5" Felt nine comp. When I was buying it, I tried a 19" and it was too much of a stretch.

mtbr member
    On the other hand, I rode the L (19.5) and thought that anything smaller would be too small. But then, I like a longer cockpit.

I'm 6' even.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

boba fett on a bike
    I just started looking into getting a new HT 29er and the Felt Nine Comp has caught my attention (I was looking at the new 2010 model). I used to have a Fisher Rig 17.5" which I loved, but sadly I sold it this past summer (crazy ex-fiance said everything must go).

I get a call from one LBS today saying they will be getting their shipment of new 2010 Nine Comps later this week and they will assemble a 17.5 for me to test ride.

Another LBS has a leftoever '08 15.5 Nine Comp discounted down to $699. Now...based on what I've been reading here on MTBR...it sounds like the 15.5 might be the size I might need. Keep in mind this LBS is about an hour drive away from me. I'm thinking of going to check it out sometime this week, then test riding the new 17.5 at the other LBS after. For $699 it almost seems hard to pass on if the fitment is right.

I'm 5'9.5" with a 30" inseam... 225 lbs clyde. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Felt 9 comp is one of the best bang fer yer buck in terms of quality and ride enjoyment in the 29er world (there aren't enough really solid, low priced, complete bike 29ers-IMO just two-Redline and Felt..and yes, I've spent time on dozens of contenders!).

i'M 5'10-33 INSEAM, longish arms-I usually like a larger frame, but I like the felt in a 17.5.