mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I saw my first Felt Virtue today at a multi-brand bike Demo

and the first thing I said was "lookit all them pivots!" I did ride it but it had some ridiculous 24" risers on it and the short track we all spun around on wasn't mountain biking. I came back not really having an opinion but I did have one question to the Demo guy: does all that pivot complexity actually accomplish something so extraordinary that it's worth the maintenance involved? Or is this frame just magic in that it accomplishes "whatever" maintenance free? I guess that was two questions and here's a third: has Felt solved something that's really bothersome on other suspension designs (bothersome to some---I had my '07 Superlight with me and rode the same short track and loved every moment of it's dialed-in single pivot, pedal feedback and brake jacking ride). If I owned a Virtue would I just decide that I actually hated the Superlight? Not trolling here, just asking is all the complexity worth it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

High Speed Steaks
    Good questions indeed. I am by no means an expert, but the wife and I are tooling around on a Felt Virtue here in Moab this week. It isn't a bad bike at all: great components, rides fairly smooth. But I like what my wife, whom is so underexperienced with bike technology, had said about the ride "it feels weird".

I had to agree. I am not totally experienced with full-suspension, so the differences in the ride was interesting. I personally think my Motobecane 29er outperforms the Virtue in smoothness, continuity and speed. There were only a few areas of the slickrock ar Bar A (off of Bar M) loop that I found a full suspension really worthwhile, and it was at the end of the trail!

Let's hope the frame is magical in some way because it is a decent bike, but I am not sure it's an amazing bike for money.
    Burning up on re-entry to cycling:
    00 Specialized Expedition
    08 Motobecane Fantom 29er
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No offence Azimuth

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    Good questions indeed. I am by no means an expert, but the wife and I are tooling around on a Felt Virtue here in Moab this week. It isn't a bad bike at all: great components, rides fairly smooth. But I like what my wife, whom is so underexperienced with bike technology, had said about the ride "it feels weird".

I had to agree. I am not totally experienced with full-suspension, so the differences in the ride was interesting. I personally think my Motobecane 29er outperforms the Virtue in smoothness, continuity and speed. There were only a few areas of the slickrock ar Bar A (off of Bar M) loop that I found a full suspension really worthwhile, and it was at the end of the trail!

Let's hope the frame is magical in some way because it is a decent bike, but I am not sure it's an amazing bike for money.
    and I mean no disrespect but an inexperienced FS rider's opinion is not really what tells me anything. I had hoped somebody who'd gone through two or three different suspension systems (I've gone through 5) would have put the Virtue through its paces under all conditions and then rendered their opinion on the Felt multi-pivot arrangement.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    and I mean no disrespect but an inexperienced FS rider's opinion is not really what tells me anything. I had hoped somebody who'd gone through two or three different suspension systems (I've gone through 5) would have put the Virtue through its paces under all conditions and then rendered their opinion on the Felt multi-pivot arrangement.
    Gotcha...

...it certainly isn't easy to comment in this forum, being new to a lot of this (getting reoriented). I just cannot seem to give relevant input. Oh well...
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

If it makes you feel any better

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth Cow
    Gotcha...

...it certainly isn't easy to comment in this forum, being new to a lot of this (getting reoriented). I just cannot seem to give relevant input. Oh well...
    no one but you has commented on my questions in the six day this thread's been around. I'm actually shocked that Felt Virtues are even a rental bike in Moab and even more shocked that that's a bike you did rent. I mean, I've been riding for a long time and I'd never even seen one. If I had asked a question on the Turner forum I'd had 10 responses in the first hour. I guess some forums just aren't very active.

Warrior's Society
    The Virtue is a excellent climbing bike......stiff under load, but plenty of travel for the descents and rough sections. I don't consider the Virtue a trailbike......to me it was a long travel (5") xc bike. At 210 lbs. I found the rear end to flex a bit too much for my liking......to the point where I coul hear the rotor rub the caliper. Small and lighter riders will dig it. All the frames we have sold at the shop I work for have had zero problems with the frame......had some issues with brakes and FD's on Virtue 3 & 4's....but just a couple.

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    no one but you has commented on my questions in the six day this thread's been around. I'm actually shocked that Felt Virtues are even a rental bike in Moab and even more shocked that that's a bike you did rent. I mean, I've been riding for a long time and I'd never even seen one. If I had asked a question on the Turner forum I'd had 10 responses in the first hour. I guess some forums just aren't very active.
    He HE! Yes, that does make me feel good, I suppose.

I was playing in that post. My feelings aren't hurt.

Initially, I misread your post and commented prematurely to what you were inquiring about, so my bad.

I was pretty surprised that the virtue and compulsion were at Poison Spider BS. I asked the man who was outfitting my wife why Felt bikes were in his lineup. He said they carried their road bikes and a rep suggested they try them this year. He did and so far he said the responses have been positive about the bikes.

SInce you have a lot of experience with full suspensions tell me what you have learned about the virtue and how it compares to other FS rides, please. I am eager to know the benefits myself. I just do not understand what the different configs are supposed to do for the rider.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build

High Speed Steaks
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    The Virtue is a excellent climbing bike......stiff under load, but plenty of travel for the descents and rough sections. I don't consider the Virtue a trailbike......to me it was a long travel (5") xc bike. At 210 lbs. I found the rear end to flex a bit too much for my liking......to the point where I coul hear the rotor rub the caliper. Small and lighter riders will dig it. All the frames we have sold at the shop I work for have had zero problems with the frame......had some issues with brakes and FD's on Virtue 3 & 4's....but just a couple.
    Good observations.

My wife is 140lbs and I am at 175lbs. We did not experience that flex that you speak of, but it is probably a weight difference and how that shock can handle it.

We found it was awesome manuevering on slickrock and rockstrewn trails. Pretty agile little bugger on rutty trails with a fairly fast descent.
    08 Felt F1 newbie build