Proud bike-o-holic

General consensus about Feltīs products

Hello all,

I was looking at Feltīs site and the Virtue 1 frame looks spectacular and it is not too expensive. Since I just recently realized Feltīs bikes existed, I would like to know what is the general consensus about Feltīs products, compared to specialized, gary fisher, trek, santa cruz, chumba and all other bike manufacturers.

Thanks a lot.

Mark

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have only owned one Felt, but I thought it was very well priced for the frame quality and components. From the looks of it regarding the Virtue 1, there's lots out there in that price range. I'd try to get on one and see if you like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you read through some of the threads here you will see some concerns. Customer service complaints as well. I have a 2007 Virtue2 and LOVE IT! The bike feels so light and climbs very well. It has held up well for me. It is more XC than all mountain but it can take some abuse. Good luck. Read posts about pivot bolt problems. The problems may have been taken care of in the newer models. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have been riding an '07 Virtue 3 since late last summer. I have to say it is incredible on the trail. All of the equilink hype is not hype, it works very well. It accelerates like a rap3d ape and I can hold way more speed than my last bike. It's the first bike I've felt confident enough to really attack nasty parts of the trail on. I would say it is my favorite bike ever even with all of the headaches I will mention in the next paragraph.

I have had the bike at the shop numerous times to repair the loose link bolts . The service manager at the shop called Felt many times to try to get warranty service and could never get through nor get a reply. We finally gave up on Felt and he installed a heli coil on the link behind the chainrings and I have not had any further problems. Supposedly Felt has fixed this problem for the 2009 model year, and maybe even for 2008.

Even with the problems I would not hesitate to buy another Felt in the future. I would recommend that you buy through a local bike store that is patient and has a good service department. There are other great bikes on the market, so shop around. But don't rule out felt because of their past problems with the linkage bolts.

Tom
    Last edited by tom_msk; 03-21-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Proud bike-o-holic
    Ok, thanks guys for your input!!!. Right now Iīm deciding between the Virtue 1 frame and a VF2 from Chumba Racing.
    The lack of customer service in Felt makes me hesitate, spending 2 grand on a frame and get no customer service is not a good combo...
    Any further input will be appreciatted.

Marco

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Marco
    Ok, thanks guys for your input!!!. Right now Iīm deciding between the Virtue 1 frame and a VF2 from Chumba Racing.
    The lack of customer service in Felt makes me hesitate, spending 2 grand on a frame and get no customer service is not a good combo...
    Any further input will be appreciatted.

Marco

I have had to deal with Felt warranty 4 times over the last couple of weeks. In each instance they were very quick to handle to claim.......and yes, one of the times was on a broken bolt in the Compulsion rear suspension. They gladly warrantied the bolt and the rocker arm that had the broken bolt stuck in it.

Warranty issues should be handled through your LBS. I find that when the consumer calls the manufacturer and complains about a broken part......the customer is emotional and the manufacturer immediatley goes on the defensive. When these things are handled through the LBS, they get handled in a non-emotional matter.

Hell, Felt warrantied my road bike and allowed an upgrade when there was actually nothing wrong with my frame.

Felt is a great company to deal with.......would rather deal with them than Trek/Specailized/Giant any day of the week.

mtbr member
    The shop that I work at has recently become a Felt dealer. I have been impressed with the bikes so far. I knew that they made great road bikes but the mountain bikes have been surprising. Surprising enough that I will be probably switching to a Felt Frame soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had the same issue with the shock bolts on my Redemption 2. The top bolt that attaches the rear shock to the frame snapped. I think one half snapped on a pretty small jump like 4 feet because I heard a snapping/cracking sound. Then I think like a week later I went off a tiny drop like 1 foot and it finally snapped clean off. Maybe its a design issue with all of felts full suspension bikes

mtbr member
    My lbs has also started carring the Felt line up. They also carry the KHS line. The fit and finish of the Felt is better than the KHS and that is reflected in the higher price of their bikes.. I will probably get a Compulsion frame and transfer All my components from my KHS AM 2000. Customer service at the shop has always been top notch and that carries over to their relationships with their distributers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That Compulsion frame looks sweet ! Thinking of doing the same thhing myself.

Which shop are you talking about ? I see you're in the LA area and I was wondering if
    BikeBling still has some of the '08 Redemptions to demo. Thx

mtbr member
    Summit Ski and bikes in Westchester. (LAX) Its a small neighborhood shop, mostly low end stuff and roadie oriented.

The Compulsion does look sweet. My components are the almost identical, the swap would is a natural.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It could just be the angle of the pic,
    but the Compulsion team frame picture on the Felt website looks slightly
    different than the frames in the complete bike pictures if you look at their
    site, particularly at the equilink strut. Have you been able to look at any of
    the bikes/frames at your shop ?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an RXC hardtail, the frame is superb and is a great introduction to XC, let down by heavy wheels and naff components. For a bike that retailed at Ģ1000.00, Felt didn’t really offer value for money as a full bike package. You get far more “bangs for the buck” with the likes of Orange, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Whyte etc…
    When I moved to full suss, I shortlisted a Virtue alongside a Trek Fuel EX, Giant Trance X and Stumpjumper FSR ... demo'd all four and chose the Giant TX.
    I still love to ride the RXC but need to spend some cash on upgrades to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Smile, nowt's broken
    You get far more “bangs for the buck” with the likes of Orange, Trek, Giant, Specialized, Whyte etc…
    That is kind of strange, because here in the US Felt is known for having slightly better parts pick at each price point compared with many brands. Wonder if that is different in the UK?

I can't compare to Orange or Whyte - but when compared with Giant, Specialized and Trek - they seem to match up pretty well in that area.

I do have a Felt road bike - but have not ridden any of their mountain bikes at all. I had very small issue with the road bike (seat squeaking like mad) and they sent out an upgraded one to the LBS right away. Their Felt rep actually delivered it himself!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been riding an '07 Felt Q620, and besides breaking parts because of my inability to avoid riding off bridges and hitting trees, it's been a pretty solid workhorse. Granted, the Q series frame is used for their entry level mountain bikes, but I've found their product to be pretty reliable.

Is it summer yet?

Upset

Bought a brand new Felt F4 last spring, $2300. Rode it 5 times. The carbon seatstay cracked. I did not wreck it or drop it, it was pure manufacturer defect. Sent it to Felt to be warrantied. Fought with them for EIGHT MONTHTS (they outright lied and claimed I wrecked it, when there was no other scratch on the pristine, brand new bike.) Finally, they forced me to pay $600 to get a crash replacement (even though never crashed) and sent me a Felt FC frame.

Wanna buy a Felt FC? Brand new, in box, size 52.

Of course, you will get no warranty and the poorest service of your life. I would never, never, never buy another Felt!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Tried to spend $3000 - $5000 on a carbon fiber 29'er. After contacting Felt directly three times when lbs could not get answers to questions, and being ignored by Felt three times, I had to wonder what kind of response I would get when they already had my money and I had a problem . . . . Bought an S-Works instead - those guys sent me a full-page response to my first inquiry within 24 hours.

Is it summer yet?
    Good choice Coppersmith. You were right to infer bad service down the road from your treatment, I can testify to it! And a Specialized was a great choice, their customer service is top notch. Many happy trails to you and your S works!

mtbr member
    I bought a 2009 Compulsion and love it! Ride it 99% of the time at Black Rock and it feels so smooth on the trails! No issues at all.
    Rueben

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll second the product build quality... I have a compulsion 1 and I love it. I've never had to deal w/ customer service ... so no comment there, but the bike is awesome.