mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Fox 40 on our Felts???

Hey Hey,
    Is it possible to swap forks from the Lyric to more of a DH setup? I've been pushing my 08 Redemption 1 pretty hard this season on all of the CC trails around Las Vegas and Utah. When I ride Bootleg/ Brian Head/Mammoth I always wonder how the ride would feel and how much More I could push the limits of my bike with a DH Fork. Not sure if its even worth it....Thanx for the HELP

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the pics. I will look into both.

Also looking into the Cane Creek Double Barrel????? I herd it got very good reviews from Interbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just ordered a Totem to swap for the Lyrik thats been on my 08 Redemption for 1 1/2 years. Though I'm still not hardcore enough to actually need a DH fork, I've been wanting to take advantage of the 1.5" tube and slacken the head angle for a long time. After I install the fork and ride a little I may get around to posting pics and info on how it goes.

I remember reading somwhere that the max reccomended front travel for the Redemption is 180mm. I don't know if this is true. I know Zink runs 200mm Boxxers, but he's a pro. You may want to verify with Felt before you strap on the dual crowns, because exceeding max travel could void your warranty.

And there's just something I don't like about putting 8" forks on a 6.5" inch bike. It doesn't seem balanced and might screw the geo. Its up to you, but Fox 40s seem excessive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's bad ass, you will have to let me know how you like the ride with the Totem. I had to give up on the idea of a 40 on the Felt and keep the Lyric...which has still been Great!!

I have to agree with you, 8" fork on a 6.5" bike just doesn't seem balanced and I'm no Zinc

Thanks for the heads up,
    Enjoy the Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey, here is an update:

So I finally got the Totem on (Took a little while). Oh man is it a big fork. Iím 6í5Ē and ride a 21.5Ē frame, and the thing still manages to look massive. If you have a small bike its gonna be pretty silly.

Anyway you probably want to know how it rides. Iíve had about 10 rides on it, and its PHENOMENAL! The extra 20mm travel isn't a big deal, but the 40mm stanchions and overall feel of the fork are. The improvement from Lyrik to the Totem is HUGE, the ride characteristics are completely different. I feel like I got a whole new bike! I'm hitting lines that I never hit before and coming down all my favorite trails significantly faster, the confidence you get from a massive fork is ridiculous.

The biggest improvement Iíve felt is the way the the fork absorbs landings. I suck at anything airborne, when it comes to ramps, drops, jumps, etc I am pretty amateur and tend to nose dive often. Before I got the Totem I was also afraid to get any real air. Thatís not the Lyrikís fault, itís a fine fork, jumping just isnít my thing. But the Totem is so plush and so solid that Iím coming off of stuff I was rolling before! It really feels like cheating!

The downside is that its noticibly heavier and the lack of travel adjust makes steep climbs a pain. I still climb all the same stuff, but it takes alot more effort. Definately lost some versatility here, but not as much as I thought I would. It's so worth it on the downhill though. I feel that this is the best upgrade I have ever made and its really increased how much fun I have on my bike!

So Iím happy as can be with the switch. But its not for everyone. As youíd expect, the totem does limit the bikeís climbability and add more than a pound. I personally donít mind because I love to ride downhill. Thatís why I bike. But if you need to keep up with a group of riders going uphill, you may want to really think about it.

Here are some photos of me on the Totem, taken on my most recent ride:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Great Info and pics, thanks again for the update... I will have to look into the Totem or the knew line-up from Fox...180 TALAS looks bad ass.

Enjoy the Rides