Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Felt Virtue 3!!!!

Just picked up a 07 Virtue 3 at the beginning of the year at a LBS it was brand new, so far I love the bike but have a problem I am getting a creaking noise from the rear suspension anyone else run into this??? Also Alot of the bolts on the rear pivot points seem to loosed up often are you able to use like a blue locktite??? I am looking at shedding some weight on the bike this winter any suggestions on where to start????

Thanks,
    Justin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Get yourself a nice torque wrench. All the torque info's around the bolts on the washers. You'll have to take the crank off to get the bolt behind it but don't skip that one! It's probably the most important one to torque. The 07 year frame has a bunk design around that bolt (check this forum for more info). Basically the hole's only 1/2 way threaded. I've broken that bolt from light riding. Personally I wouldn't use any loctite but I don't mind taking 10minutes to make sure all the bolts are torqued to spec. The LX crank's very easy to take off.

I had a creeking issue and thought it was the pivot points but it turned out the seatpost clamp wasn't tight enough.

To lose some weight, if you're all stock I would say the wheels are your best bet to replace but this may depend on your riding style. The fork, crank, brakes and everything else isn't the lightest but you'll definitely notice a difference with a lighter wheelset.

mtbr member

Check Plated Bolts!

In addition to Norcom's suggestions to check for proper torques, also read my post at

Plating Failure, EquiLink Pivot Shafts, '08 Virtue 2

regarding the plating on the EquiLink bolts. Correct as needed. Felt assured me the problem I experienced was not wide-spread, but using a plated bolt as the inner race of a needle bearing is BS...
    Regards,
    TrailZen
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailZen
    In addition to Norcom's suggestions to check for proper torques, also read my post at

regarding the plating on the EquiLink bolts. Correct as needed. Felt assured me the problem I experienced was not wide-spread, but using a plated bolt as the inner race of a needle bearing is BS...
    Regards,
    TrailZen

Nice writeup! Thanks for the info on that McMaster-CARR site! They have the bolts I was looking for and couldn't find ANYWHERE for the main pivot. Part Number: 92125A304 I believe that's the one unless I need one 5mm shorter/longer. I do not recall the length now but the next time I take the frame apart for cleaning/tuning I'll measure all the bolts and order a replacement set for sure. I haven't checked the Equilink bolts for damage as I haven't had any problems with them, yet. At least none that I know of.

Felt online support sucks, period. I've had a few worthless communications with them over the last year and a half. Some with no response. I as well do not like the LBS and work on my bikes. I build them, I ride them, I tune them, I break them, I fix them, I know them in and out.

mtbr member
    I have put a little over 300 miles on my Virtue 3 with no problems at all. I recently took it in to have all of the rear pivots taken apart, cleaned and inspected just in case (somewhat based on what I have read here). They reported back that there was nothing wrong with any of the bolts (including the one in question on this forum). They put it all back together (using lock-tite where applicable) and I have continued to enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is your Felt Virtue an 2008 model or an 09 version, as it seems the 08's are the ones that are experiencing this issue!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mine is a 07 model i bought as a left over model early this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry Justin, I'm new to this forum 'stuff' and thought I was responding to the posting before mine 'monroeMTB'. Seems like I've got a lot to learn. Good luck in tracking down the creaking noise.

mtbr member
    Mine is an '07 as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Last night I decided to strip out the equilink retaining bolts to look for the creaking noise, and yes you guessed it. The chromium plating has come adrift and deposited itself in the needle roller bearings. I have sent a mail to the company from whom I purchaded the bike and Felt UK, just awaiting a response. Hopefully they will send me a replacement equilink (red dog bone) and retaining bolts and I will be happy.

mtbr member

Glad you found the source....

Quote Originally Posted by georgeh1
    Last night I decided to strip out the equilink retaining bolts to look for the creaking noise, and yes you guessed it. The chromium plating has come adrift and deposited itself in the needle roller bearings. I have sent a mail to the company from whom I purchaded the bike and Felt UK, just awaiting a response. Hopefully they will send me a replacement equilink (red dog bone) and retaining bolts and I will be happy.
    Good to hear that you found the source of your creaking noise, but I'm sorry to hear that yet another Felt is exhibiting the plating failure that I warned folks about in an earlier post:

Don't know how the Felt UK folks will respond to your letter--the US group sent me a series of "...take the bike to your dealer..." emails until I posted photos on this forum. After reviewing those photos, the US group sent me replacement bolts (which I haven't used--I stand by my statement that the use of plated bolts as the inner race of a needle bearing is BS!) and replacement bearings. I did not receive an EquiLink assembly. Note that a Dake (or similar) bearing press is required to remove the damaged bearings (and install new bearings) in the EquiLink. If you're not familiar with a bearing press, this task is probably best done by someone who is!

Good luck with your repairs--please keep us posted on your progress and your experience with Felt...

Regards,
    TZ

mtbr member

Another point to check...

Quote Originally Posted by justin51
    Just picked up a 07 Virtue 3 at the beginning of the year at a LBS it was brand new, so far I love the bike but have a problem I am getting a creaking noise from the rear suspension anyone else run into this??? Also Alot of the bolts on the rear pivot points seem to loosed up often are you able to use like a blue locktite??? I am looking at shedding some weight on the bike this winter any suggestions on where to start????

Thanks,
    Justin
    While my EquiLink has operated perfectly since I changed out the damaged plated bolts, I recently noticed a new creaking noise and went back into the bike ('08 Virtue 2) after this morning's ride. Found both upper and lower mounting adapters STUCK in the Fox Float RP2's eyelet bushings. The mounting adapters should, of course, rotate freely within the bushings. Not sure if the mounting adapters are provided by Fox or by Felt, but it doesn't really matter... Cleaned and lubed bushings and adapters and the bike is silent again. Add this inspection to your check list! (Also pulled the replacement EquiLink bolts I installed ~500 miles ago and found no issues. Lubed EquiLink bearings and re-installed bolts... I use low-strength 'thread locker' LocTite on every fastener in addition to following the torque guidelines posted by each fastener.

Regards,
    TZ
    Last edited by TrailZen; 08-07-2009 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Good lord. I've read 4 or 5 (2 links in this thread) places where you have described your masterful detection of the creaking noise. Isn't it about time to give it a rest? If you are that unhappy with the bike then go a different route. Start a blog or something, but ease up on the negativity, eh? Not meant as an attack, but more so an observation and request. Why not share some good things about the ride quality, etc?? I for one would like to see the Felt forum get busy with something positive!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop29
    Good lord. I've read 4 or 5 (2 links in this thread) places where you have described your masterful detection of the creaking noise. Isn't it about time to give it a rest? If you are that unhappy with the bike then go a different route. Start a blog or something, but ease up on the negativity, eh? Not meant as an attack, but more so an observation and request. Why not share some good things about the ride quality, etc?? I for one would like to see the Felt forum get busy with something positive!!

Look in how many threads you're complaining about your Recon problem. Isn't it about time you gave that a rest? Sucks when there's no solution, doesn't it? The links posted here were very informative. There are problems with the Virtue frames. If you want to sugarcoat how nice the Virtue frame is, go start your own thread and maybe someone will agree with you. This thread was started because of a PROBLEM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ok. You missed the point, but whatever. Good info to have, not arguing that. I understand it was started because of a problem, but once the problem was answered why continue? I, on the other hand, never got a response to the Recon problem, which I why I posted accordingly (begginer, shocks&suspension/SRAM). If you have a solution, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, It's awesome that you took the time to look up my threads- are you 12??

Respond how you like, I won't be wasting anymore time in this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Ok. You missed the point, but whatever. Good info to have, not arguing that. I understand it was started because of a problem, but once the problem was answered why continue? I, on the other hand, never got a response to the Recon problem, which I why I posted accordingly (begginer, shocks&suspension/SRAM). If you have a solution, I'd appreciate it.

By the way, It's awesome that you took the time to look up my threads- are you 12??

Respond how you like, I won't be wasting anymore time in this thread.

You come into a thread demanding people stop talking about their problems. Then you demand to change the conversation to praise the frame they're having the problem with because YOU want to see happy threads on the Felt forum. When it's pointed out that you're doing the exact same thing all over the place, you get defensive and start demeaning others. I laugh at you.

mtbr member

Ah, To Own a Felt Virtue 2!

Of the seven MTBs I've owned since '91, my Felt Virtue 2 is by far the most sophisticated and best-performing! The EquiLink rear suspension climbs like a goat, then eats up Pisgah's rocks and roots on descents. On the buff, fluid routes of Dupont State Forest, the plush 5" of F&R travel erase all memory of last year's prostate surgeries! Shifting is crisp and effortless, and these are the best brakes I've ever owned! Hey, this bike doesn't just perform well, it looks great, too--the matte finish charcoal gray frame has just the right amount of accent from the red anodized EquiLink bar! What value! What performance! What beauty! Every cross-country rider should hit a favorite trail with a Virtue 2 soon! See your friendly local Felt dealer for details of ownership!

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1249911789

Knowledge is power. The more I know about my bike (or car, or house, etc) the better I can maintain it and the better it will serve my purposes. If a fellow Virtue owner is experiencing creaking noises, I know a couple components s/he should inspect. Most of us review manufacturers' forums to help us learn about the quirks and details of our equipment, and while some of the posts throw some big rocks at the manufacturers, gaining product-specific knowledge is a positive thing! If you want to read only happy, happy, joy, joy posts, perhaps you can convince the moderator of MTBR to establish a "Group Hugs/Kumbaya" forum.

My 26 Feb '09 post regarding potential plating problems on EquiLink pivot bolts gave fellow Felt owners a heads up on a potentially serious performance problem, and gave them an alternate source of parts for effecting their own repairs. Their responses, both public and private, suggest the information was a positive thing for them. So if I see another Felt post asking about sources of creaking noises, I'll again post a link to the Feb post and will also suggest they check their rear shock mounting adapters. To keep this information to myself would be a disservice to other Felt owners and would go against the grain of my engineering background and my Myers-Briggs ISTJ personality type!

Best regards,
    TZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Trail Zen- Thanks for the positive description of your ride. I've been trying to get a buddy to join the club, but he reads this forum and was lead to the conclusion that they are "junk."

my bad on the OP, as it was obviously one of those think before you type situations. I appreciate the info you have provided, becuase as soon as I get the creak (which appears to be inevitable), I'll know where to start.

I actually wasn't going to come back in the thread b/c I don't want to be involved in a pissing match with Norcom, but saw you posted. Wanted to clear up my intentions.

Keep tossin' out the info, as it seems you definately know how to locate/solve problems.

mtbr member

...and thanks for considering my point of view!

Trail Zen- Thanks for the positive description of your ride. I've been trying to get a buddy to join the club, but he reads this forum and was lead to the conclusion that they are "junk."

my bad on the OP, as it was obviously one of those think before you type situations. I appreciate the info you have provided, becuase as soon as I get the creak (which appears to be inevitable), I'll know where to start.

I actually wasn't going to come back in the thread b/c I don't want to be involved in a pissing match with Norcom, but saw you posted. Wanted to clear up my intentions.

Keep tossin' out the info, as it seems you definately know how to locate/solve problems.
    Coop29--Thanks for staying with the thread a bit longer and for considering my point of view. We're all here to share information--when it's factual, we're all helped. When it's opinion, well, not so much! We probably shouldn't read ANY forum looking for affirmation on our purchasing decisions--someone will ALWAYS have a reason that we should have purchased something else. Suggest to your friend that he also look at some of the other manufacturer's forums--he'll see that they're getting rocks thrown at them, too. I firmly believe that EVERY major manufacturer is making good stuff, but that even the best bike ever built will have a quirk or two. I'm not going to let an issue with a $2 part inconvenience me, nor will I let it become a problem for a fellow owner. And it won't convince me that I should have purchased a different bike--I'll be hitting the local trails on my Virtue 2 for quite a while!

Regards,
    TZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just to let everyone know I found my creaking problem it was the hard to reach bolt behind the crank. Some of them kept loosening no matter how many times I torqued them to spec so I took blue loc tight and that solved everything. This is my secong mountain bike and I am so glad I bought this bike I absolutly love this thing.

One other question anyone upgrade there derailers yet???

Thanks,
    Justin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by justin51
    One other question anyone upgrade there derailers yet???
    I've been thinking of upgrading the front derailleur on my '07 V3 for a long time but never got around to it. Looks like their '09 models got rid of the e-type and replaced it with a high-clamp one. I can never get the e-type perfectly adjusted, no matter what I try it's always going to rub in a certain combos. They're not necessarily the best combos to ride in but it's still annoying. If you have the e-type there was a thread a while back that someone got it changed for a low/high (forget) one but never posted specific details. One of these days I'll just go 1x9

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

loose bolts, etc

New to the forum here, but what I have is very similar and I thought I'd share.

Bought a '07 virtue 3 this spring and have been enjoying it immensely! The first creak I noticed was from the lower bolt on the equilink suspension (red dogbone). The bolt came loose, so I took it out, cleaned it up and put it back in with some red loctite to specified torque. Its been fine since then. Recently after ~250 total miles, during a race, the bolt connecting the rear triangle (on the drivetrain side) to the equilink system came seriously loose. Loose enough so that there was lateral motion of the rear wheel when pedaling hard. I had to take off the chain rings to tighten it (couldn't pull the crank on the side of the trail), which got me through the race. I then took it to the LBS and they tightened it with some loctite.

However still not good enough, it came loose again after one ride. I took the bolt out and there is noticeable thread ware. I'm not sure what else is in there other than the bearing, but my feeling is that something else might be worn out. Maybe a housing or fitting??

LBS said they would contact Felt to order new bold and assembly for that connection. Hopefully this will solve things. Just wanted to share. Make sure you check all the bolts - even the ones that are obstructed by the crankset!

Also, I agree the FD is hard to get right. It seems the e-type design doesn't leave much clearance below the chain and is noisy when pedaling in the granny gear (not that I ever use it or anything...)

mtbr member

Check Previous Thread...

Hey, theshoepolice--
    Check this thread:

Stay Away from FELT

starting around post #6--there are some good details regarding the bolt with which you're experiencing issues. Since those folks have already fought this battle, perhaps their comments will help you correct yours...

Later,
    TZ

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi TrailZen,

Got a response from both the bike store that I purchased the Felt from and Felt themselves.

Felt UK said that I should return the whole bike back to the supplier, they will examine it and then pass judgement.

The bike store said that I should return the whole bike and if the parts were damaged as I explained, they would get them exchanged under warranty (all sounds good).
    However, the bike store that I purchased from is over 150 miles from my home!

I asked if I could take the bike to a local Felt dealer for them to examine, I have had no response from Felt UK or the bike store for a week now.

I might send a reminder to both parties as see where we go from here on.

Regards

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeh1
    Hi TrailZen,

Got a response from both the bike store that I purchased the Felt from and Felt themselves.

Felt UK said that I should return the whole bike back to the supplier, they will examine it and then pass judgement.

The bike store said that I should return the whole bike and if the parts were damaged as I explained, they would get them exchanged under warranty (all sounds good).
    However, the bike store that I purchased from is over 150 miles from my home!

I asked if I could take the bike to a local Felt dealer for them to examine, I have had no response from Felt UK or the bike store for a week now.

I might send a reminder to both parties as see where we go from here on.

Regards
    I actually have my bike at my LBS and am wating to here back from them it's been almost a been a week here to. I am hoping they can do something, it sucks that it takes so long all I wanna do is go ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast