mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Felt Virtue 2 (08) problem

Hello guys

Just bought a 2008 Felt Virtue 2 (2008) model - i rode it for the first time today and it felt great to start with. Then, all of a sudden the rear end felt like it was wobbling all over the place. Turned it over, and could see that there was an exposed thread sticking out from the frame behind the cranks. This is where all the movement is. I have done quite a bit of reading and think this is the main pivot bolt. If i am correct, there should be a sealed bearing in the frame on the drive side, then a thrust washer, and then a nut - all three are now lost on a trail somewhere.

Does anyone know where i can source these three parts from in the UK? Is it a common problem for this nut to come loose? If so has anyone solved the problem?

Also, i read a post about some of the other botls shedding their plating. Can someone post a picture showing which bolts these are? Also is there anywhere in the UK that i can get hardened steel replacements?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member

Sorry to hear about the problem...

...and I can't help you source the parts in the UK. The plating failure (see post Plating Failure, EquiLink Pivot Shafts, '08 Virtue 2) involved the lower of the two EquiLink bolts in an '08 Virtue 2--these bolts act as inner races for needle bearings in each end of the red EquiLink. Photos detailing the plating damage are in the listed link... Good luck finding the parts...
    TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    many thanks for the reply Zen - since you changed these bolts have you had any further problems? Im going to change the equilink bolts out as soon as possible to prevent the plating damaging the needle bearings. Did you also change the bolts for the upper link too?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    found this manual - looks a little old now though. But to anyones knowledge have the parts for fixing the drive side of the main pivot bolt changed?

http://www.charlie-srl.it/public/sit...Suspension.pdf

I.e. = Nut is DIN 6927 (Im gonna use a 6926), Washer - thrust washer, Bearing = 6082RS?

If these parts are still the same on the 08 virtue i can get them all very easily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Can anyone describe the washer that goes between the Nut and the bearing on the main pivot bolt? Mines gone - is it supposed to be metal, plastic etc? What dimensions is it? Felt dont seem to have parts lists published anywhere their website is useless.

Thanks for any replies

mtbr member

No Issues With Alloy Bolts...

Quote Originally Posted by willber
    many thanks for the reply Zen - since you changed these bolts have you had any further problems? Im going to change the equilink bolts out as soon as possible to prevent the plating damaging the needle bearings. Did you also change the bolts for the upper link too?
    Willber,
    Although the plating failed only on the lower EquiLink pivot bolt, I replaced both plated shoulder bolts with alloy bolts. I've had no EquiLink bolt/bearing issues in the ~500 miles I've put on the Virtue 2 since replacing the bolts. The plating failure showed up after only ~200 miles.

Thanks for posting the link to literature with parts info--did you notice that it calls for the EquiLink bolts (items 4 & 9) to be grade 12.9 rather than plated bolts??? Sounds good to me!!!

Good luck on your repairs!

TZ
    Last edited by TrailZen; 09-09-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Same prob with my Felt Compulsion - want to get it sorted b4 back end falls apart! Disappointed because bike has been excellent, otherwise! Any luck sourcing bearing/bushes? Pete (Wales).

Existentialist
    Oct 2009
    Had a similar problem with my Virtue 2. The back end felt (sic) all wobbly so I took off the cranks and investigated the drive side and tried to tighten everything up.The main linkage through bolt had actually snapped.
    I ordered a few replacement 75mmxM8 stainless allen headed set screws off Ebay and some nyloc nuts. Easy fix.
    Then the drive side Equilink bolt kept coming loose despite repeated attempts to Loctite it etc. Eventually it stripped it's threads, so I replaced it with a longer bolt, and found just enough room to put a nyloc nut on the other end, in the space between the two halves of the linkage. Problem sorted.
    Problem solving should not really be left to the customer, but hey ho!
    IMHO the frame is just so damn good to ride that it's worth the hassle.
    I also ride a Scott Genius 30 and an Intense Spider, but neither of these can touch the Felt for responsiveness to pedal input.
    Mine is built up as cross country lightweight racer with Pace RC39s and Stans 355s, and tips the scales at 25lbs. As a 6'4" 220lb lump, I'm pretty hard on bikes, so I don't mind a bit of fettling. Fingers crossed that mine stays in one piece for while now.
    Incidentally, for replacement bearings just measure the inside and outside diameter of the bearings, and they are available to order pretty much anywhere.