Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Felt Redemption

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nate3510's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    286

    Felt Redemption

    Thinking about picking up a closeout redemption frame. Anyone know why Felt quit making them. Is there an issue with them?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    10
    I have a redemption 2 and love it

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    I love my Redemption 3. I know I've heard people complain (in online reviews) about the steep front end geometry and high BB. I think the bike feels and handles great but I'll be the first to admit I'm not all that fast!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2
    Own the Redemption 2 and also love it. I was looking at Norco Six's, Transition Prestons, Santa Cruz Blur's, and ended up buying my Felt.(price was a factor)

    I called Felt, and asked why they stopped making the Redemption, they told me more people wanted the lighter weight full's so the compulsion ended up being a better seller.

    ebay had a few built redemption 2's for 1500 complete- you will never find another bike for that price that can go up hill, down hill, and cross country that weighs<35 lbs.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510
    Thinking about picking up a closeout redemption frame. Anyone know why Felt quit making them. Is there an issue with them?
    felt have 2009 redemption out ,only available in europe. have changed the head angle abit not as steep and short as the 08 model

  6. #6
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by l1egs
    felt have 2009 redemption out ,only available in europe. have changed the head angle abit not as steep and short as the 08 model
    I just bought one a few hours ago. LBS somehow got a hold of 4 of them. He said they were "picture bikes" or something. Don't know. Not a scratch on it. Got a smoking deal.

    I'll be sure to post a review after a few rides. I hope I like it!

  7. #7
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,702
    (copied from my thread in the clyde forum)

    First ride tonight, loved it. Only did about 5 miles. Steady moderate uphill out and then a little more technical downhill on the way down. Wanted to stay away from the tough stuff till I got the feeling for the new ride.

    Holy cow, what a difference from my cheap Jamis hardtail on the downhill stuff. Also, being the first time going uphill on a FS I really didn't feel like I lost much on the steep climbing sections. After I learn how to set the rear shock to my liking it will probably be even better. Brakes were a huge difference. I found myself having to be careful using the brakes! On my old Jamis I used to have to REALLY pull them in sections. Difference between a $350 bike and a much more expensive one I guess!

    Did a nice 0mph fall. First time doing it since I went clipless. Everyone was impressed. Thankfully the bike landed on me ;-)

    Got 2 more rides planned this week already! I'll post a few pics later.

  8. #8
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,702
    Here it is!


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Looks great, congrats! Which one did you get? 1,2,3?

  10. #10
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipM
    Looks great, congrats! Which one did you get? 1,2,3?
    The 2.

    http://www.feltracing.com/09-catalog...ion-2-int.aspx

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Very nice!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scarney19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    85
    I have an 08 redemption 2 and love it, but do wish it had a little wider wheel base.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nagatahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,189
    check out the redemption 1, it comes with the Hammershmidt(my spelling is questionalble on this) internal geared crank set.
    33 lb package, but my current bike is 32 lbs but only 5" travel and no Hammershmidt

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31

    Good job! Almost got them.

    We missed the picture and demo bike closeout by this much. Felt had offered 2009 Redemptions which were only available in Europe. I wish they would release the model with the Hammerschmidt here in the US. I own a 2008 Redemption 3 and love it. Wished I had ponied up for the 1. Felt's FS bikes are the business.
    Round Trip Bike Shop
    A local bike shop in Casa Grande, AZ
    www.roundtripbikeshop.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    I am thinking about getting an 08 felt red 1 or 2. I am 5'8 with a 32 or 31 inch inseam. Should I get a m or large? Just wondering. I usually ride medium, but i have heard some peeps saying they run small???

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31

    Not small, just short.....

    I am 6'1 3/4" with a 32" inseam. I am riding the large and my jangles are getting tickled when I stand over the bike. I switched to a 20mm longer stem than was stock (90mm I think) to improve climbing and to stretch me out a little. Redemptions are short in the top tube but tall in stand over. I would go with the smaller bike if I could get away with it and extend the stem. You're shorter in the torso than I am but your stand over is the same. You could do well with the shorter bike.
    Round Trip Bike Shop
    A local bike shop in Casa Grande, AZ
    www.roundtripbikeshop.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scarney19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkoola
    I am thinking about getting an 08 felt red 1 or 2. I am 5'8 with a 32 or 31 inch inseam. Should I get a m or large? Just wondering. I usually ride medium, but i have heard some peeps saying they run small???
    I have a large 08 Redemption 2. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and with my feet planted flat on the ground my crotch barely hits the top tube. As far as the steep head angle, the bike still ride and feels great.

  18. #18
    29-26 Who Cares Just Ride
    Reputation: Box Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    26
    I love my Redemption 3! I have done a lot of riding in the Atlanta area and in Chattanooga and this bike likes it all.

    The only thing I have done is change out the rear derailer and quickshifters to Sram X9 and have been much happier than with the Shimano Shadow rear derailleur.

  19. #19
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    I gotta say I absolutely love my 3, but I am not too thrilled with my chain and dérailleur setup. When I get it muddy, the chain slips if i put too much pressure on it. Everything else is perfect. I would, however recommend a different seat, as mine has given me a rash several times :/
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvsd4090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510
    Thinking about picking up a closeout redemption frame. Anyone know why Felt quit making them. Is there an issue with them?
    still make them for Europe, not sure why they stop in US only that the Redemption (all mtn) is pretty close to their other am bike. mine is rad though, make sure you get 160mm+fork

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvsd4090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    (copied from my thread in the clyde forum)

    First ride tonight, loved it. Only did about 5 miles. Steady moderate uphill out and then a little more technical downhill on the way down. Wanted to stay away from the tough stuff till I got the feeling for the new ride.

    Holy cow, what a difference from my cheap Jamis hardtail on the downhill stuff. Also, being the first time going uphill on a FS I really didn't feel like I lost much on the steep climbing sections. After I learn how to set the rear shock to my liking it will probably be even better. Brakes were a huge difference. I found myself having to be careful using the brakes! On my old Jamis I used to have to REALLY pull them in sections. Difference between a $350 bike and a much more expensive one I guess!

    Did a nice 0mph fall. First time doing it since I went clipless. Everyone was impressed. Thankfully the bike landed on me ;-)

    Got 2 more rides planned this week already! I'll post a few pics later.
    I have the 08 redemption 2. And I can tell you, this bike is tough. Don't be afraid to go full force. Especially with the heavy, over built part spec

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvsd4090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarney19
    I have a large 08 Redemption 2. I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and with my feet planted flat on the ground my crotch barely hits the top tube. As far as the steep head angle, the bike still ride and feels great.
    I've the very same bike as you...in M 17.5. and I am 6ft. I turned the stem upside down to compensate for high head tube, and all is gold. i live at a ski resort and mainly take the lift up nowadays, but still like some trail time. With my seatpost all the way up is great geometry, but when all the way down cockpit is cramped, but mostly i stand then anyhow. This is a great setup. Gonna throw on a laid back thompson on there and then it's on!

  23. #23
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pvsd4090
    still make them for Europe, not sure why they stop in US only that the Redemption (all mtn) is pretty close to their other am bike. mine is rad though, make sure you get 160mm+fork
    Why the 160mm? I have a standard Lyrik at 140mm and i can't tell the difference between the two. I don't like how high it puts the front up...
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    211

    I have the feld 09 -lovinggggggggg it

    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    Here it is!

    here some pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Felt Redemption-0001-026.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-0001-109-copy.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-0001-186.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-0001-268.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-picture-078.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-picture-077.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-copy-picture-053.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-picture-055.jpg  

    Felt Redemption-picture-065.jpg  


  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvsd4090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCriscione
    Why the 160mm? I have a standard Lyrik at 140mm and i can't tell the difference between the two. I don't like how high it puts the front up...
    I know, this bike has what can only be called a mis design in 2008 with the really high head tube placement, but I prefer to run my stem upside down, 40mm rise Easton 70's; opposed to the 60mm rise stock Felt bars and the full 160mm travel. I live at a ski resort and need the travel here. Plus I set my Lyric pretty soft with about 30% sag, so with stem upside down, lower bars, and sag, mine feels great to me. If you wind down the Lyric fork, it acts like preload and makes your suspension stiffer, and so your sag is wrong, your fork is xc firm, and you are losing floaty travel. Try turning your stem around and run 160.

  26. #26
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Sounds interesting. I may just have to try that, thanks!
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  27. #27
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Here's a vid of me testing in my backyard on a little jump I made.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-QEV22w6Dc
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  28. #28
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pvsd4090
    I know, this bike has what can only be called a mis design in 2008 with the really high head tube placement, but I prefer to run my stem upside down, 40mm rise Easton 70's; opposed to the 60mm rise stock Felt bars and the full 160mm travel. I live at a ski resort and need the travel here. Plus I set my Lyric pretty soft with about 30% sag, so with stem upside down, lower bars, and sag, mine feels great to me. If you wind down the Lyric fork, it acts like preload and makes your suspension stiffer, and so your sag is wrong, your fork is xc firm, and you are losing floaty travel. Try turning your stem around and run 160.
    P.S, My dad wants to see a picture of the stem setup so I can get an idea of what it would look like? Thanks!
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pvsd4090's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeCriscione
    P.S, My dad wants to see a picture of the stem setup so I can get an idea of what it would look like? Thanks!
    Sorry it only took my 3 months to answer, and I have no pic for you (my bike is locked upstairs). But just loosen your stem and turn it around. You don't even have to remove anything from your bars. Just loosen both 5mm bolts holding your stem in opposing positions, then loosen the stem bolt going down through your headtube, pull the stem; with bars, up, turn it around and remount.

  30. #30
    JoeCriscione
    Reputation: JoeCriscione's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Cool. I might try that! Thanks! And no worries, I forgot about the website anyways XD
    If you ain't first, you ain't first. Stop complaining.schumacher2008@live.com

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    I got that bike and upgraded ,this is fantastic bike can do everything

    http://img823.imageshack.us/i/pc300215.jpg/

    http://img402.imageshack.us/i/pc300221.jpg/

    Feel free to comment

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amrayo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    49

    Redemption in Action !


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Pretty bummed... I noticed last night that my Redemption frame is cracked. My buddy's bike broke in exactly the same spot a few months back.



    Hopefully Felt will take care of me, assuming they still have Redemption frames laying around...

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    What year of that frame?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit1
    What year of that frame?
    2008

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62
    I've also got an 08 redemption, mine is holding up just just fine but I'd still like to hear how they handle this for you.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by racer_46
    I've also got an 08 redemption, mine is holding up just just fine but I'd still like to hear how they handle this for you.
    Felt swapped out my frame, I had my bike back within a week. Not sure if they were out of the gray frame or what but they sent the flat black "team" frame.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62
    Thats nice to know that they took care of it for you

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    153
    2009 redemption frame.
    I want to switch to manitou coil but unsure about the bushings.
    I measure 22,2 for the lower and sth like 21,5 for the upper (which seems like non standard)
    anyone care to measure/verify?
    is the upper 22,2 as well or 21,8 (the closer I can get off the shelf)?
    edit rwc chart for enduro needle bearings recommends the 21,85 for both upper and lower. what a mess

    oh, and since we're at it, what's your thoughts on swinger x4 for this frame?
    I want coil but not sure if I should ditch platform.
    Last edited by p_cycle; 06-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    14
    Its tuned for an air shock, so you might have a few issues going coil.

    As for ditching the platform shock, do it. Pedal platform is a crutch this bike doesn't need.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    30
    I've had my Redemption 2 for about 9 months now. This bike just gets better and better. So far I have replaced the grips, saddle and tyres. It's just awesome.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    Hi, can anyone tell me what weight the Redemption TWO 2010 is with/without pedals?

    There is no information about it at the felts 2010 website.

    Can anyone tell me which Vario-Seatpost-length fits (e.g. KindShocks i900) ?

  43. #43
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,192
    I might be trading my 09 compulsion for a 09 redemption, but have a few questions.

    I love my compulsion, but need something a bit burly-er. Is the headtube 1.5? I would like to run an angleset.

    If I ran an 8" shock, would that help it feel better? Im a freerider, so I want a lower BB and slacker HA.

    the stock compulsion shock is 7.75 (or 7.875, something like that) but i run a 7.5 to lower/slacken it out, and it feels magnificent. so I figure I could do the same with a redemption. I'll lose some travel, but even if I have 6" or a little less it should be fine.

    let me know what ya'll think. It might see a few days at the Canyons resort, some burly DJs, and some days in virgin utah.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    62
    I've got an 08 Redemption 3 so my answers are based off of it. Yes the headtube is 1.5". I am not sure that you could get away with running a shorter shock because of the support brace that goes across the rockers behind the seat tube. I know that mine comes within 1/4' of touching when the suspension is fully compressed, so with the shorter shock it may hit. However I have seen one or two people running offset shock bushings so you may be able to do one or the other to lower the rear end. If you do get it and do these things post some pics and let us know how it worked out because I am interested in a little slacker HA as well.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    145
    Like racer_46 said... yes the head tube is 1.5 so you can run the angleset to slack it out. I'd recommend checking out the offset shock bushings to lower the BB rather than changing the shock length. That will be the best of both worlds.. lower and slacker but without losing any travel.

    Keep a close eye on the welds on the seat tube "lattice" piece, check out the photos above. Mine broke there as well as 3 other locals guys with the same bike. I would look very closely at that area before buying a used frame, IMO.

  46. #46
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,192
    I think I'm going to opt out of the redemption unless anyone can give me a good reason to get one for Freeride (heavy freeride, like Virgin Utah....)

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    43
    Moosey, Don't opt out of the Redemption until you get to ride it. They are really different animals. I own both and really enjoy both. I ride the Redemption mostly and really preffer it for descents, but the Compulsion is more nimble. I really can't add any imput in regards to freeride due to my limited skillset. I like how your bike is set up a little more slacked out. I may have to look into the offset bushings that have been mentioned. I feel my Comp. could benifit from them.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8
    Redemption bikes give u handicap with ur skill,more travel is helpfull,i enjoy everytime on this bike skilling up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •