mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Felt Q520, good entery level bike?

So I'm looking to get serious about mountain biking which means getting rid of the wal-mart special and getting something decent. I was looking at the Felt Q520 because my uncle owns a bike shop and he can get it for around $350-$375 which is significantly under the list price. He can also get Redline and KHS but thats about it for mountain biking stuff. So what do you suggest? I can't go over $400.
    [SIZE="4"]Don't take life to seriously because you can't get out alive-Warren Miller[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Money can't buy life-Bob Marley[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just bought myself a Q220 for getting back into it - and it is terrific. The forks on the 520 are slightly better (the 220 came with Suntour-XR, very entry level, I basically can't wait for it to bottom out, break and shatter so I can justify spending the $$ and putting a proper fork in the front). But, I think the component sets are similar (with the 520 having an 8 speed in the back).

All of the frames for the Q series are the same; and the frame is really comfortable, and robust. When I test rode it, something just told me it was the bike I wanted to leave the shop with.

The riding position isn't the most aggressive, but the bike is really comfortable. For the price, I would think that the Felt is a great choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't have much experience with differant bikes, but I bought a Q520 for my first bike about a 2 months ago. So far I love it. No complaints at the moment. I've put about 50 miles on it. I paid $450 for it with no regrets I say go for it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi, totally new to this so be gentle guys!!
    I am looking to purchase my first decent bike this week (have a budget though!) I have looked at many within my price range and the Felt Q520 in matte black seems to be great value for money, Ive not heard one bad comment on it yet! (for the money of course). I will be mainly doing cross country and was told this bike would be great for that, however I am still a little unsure if I needed a full suspension bike for this???? Also, size of frame... im 6ft, will the 19 and half inch frame be to big? the next frame down is 17 and half inch (looks like a childs bike though!!) Any feed back would be great, thanx,

mtbr member
    The quality on the Felt, even the entry level bikes are outstanding. I've tested a couple at my LBS.
    You should get fitted to the proper frame and test ride them. Your bike shop should easily be able to do this for you. the Felt full suspension bikes are all well above $2000. I would recommend that you start with the hard tail and later when you feel ready you can upgrade to a Full suspension bike. you will generally be able to ride a hard tail faster than a full suspension bike and you'll be able to stand up while powering up hill or out of a corner with out losing power. They are simpler and easy to maintain. the full suspension bike should allow you to get better traction and handle the rough downhills. You will seated more on the FS bike get it the suspension to work. However the Felt Virture and Compulsion's rear suspension design will allow you to stand on the pedals while climbing with out losing power from pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    im tossing up between a felt q520 and scott aspect 55. i am leaning toward the q520. any thoughts anyone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Felt Q520...

Im new to this who MTB thing but Ive been doing alot of research. Im in a toss up between the Felt Q520 (2011), Specialized HardRock Disc (2010), and the GT Avalanche 2.0 Disc (2010). Price wise, the Felt is 460, Hardrock 383, and the GT at 440. They all have comparable specs in my opinion. But I need help from the pros...YOU GUYS.

mtbr member
    I have a Felt Q720 and it rocks. I like Felt bikes but you will get alot of different opinions if you post this in a general forum. Usually folks here are bias since it is the "Felt" forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    what are some upgrades i can make to my felt q520?

mtbr member
    Hey JumpManiac - I just got a Felt Q520 earlier this year and love the bike. I have 200 miles on it, and want to upgrade the fork to something better. Do you or anybody else on this thread have any upgrade suggestions to improve performance of our bikes!?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'll chime in. Have a 520 also that I bought a couple of months back. Dig the bike, but the front fork and derailer are junk. That's not to take away from it too much though. As an entry level bike, it's great value for the money.

Personally, I have a background of Skateboarding, BMX, and road racing motorcycles. That said, I quickly got to a point where I was above the capabilities of the bike. I got hooked real quick and started going pretty fast downhill. I've found the bike to be seriously flickable, and stable at speed. The back end is predictable as the tire starts to let go, which is all a guy could ask for.

Other then some of the bunk OE parts, it's a great starter level bike. For me though, I've already had a much more serious DH/FR bike built. I'll keep this one however and update the forks and possibly turn it into a stump jumper.

S-WorksLewis

Felt Q520???? Good entry level bike????

I just recently recieved a FELT Q520 mountain bike for Christmas. I was previously riding a Fuji Adventure 1.0 mountain bike which totally sucked. So when I recieved the upgrade I was very excited. I've gotten the bike out on the trail 3 times in the past week and absolutely love it!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I too just picked up a Q520 (2011) for Xmas. It's been many years since my last mountain bike so shocks and disk brakes are all new. Been taking it out onto the fire trails in the local national park and been having a blast.

New hobby and fitness found!

Over the coming year I'll be looking forward to upgrading components as I break them. Hoping the Felt forum will provide input as I need it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmosh View Post
    I too just picked up a Q520 (2011) for Xmas. It's been many years since my last mountain bike so shocks and disk brakes are all new. Been taking it out onto the fire trails in the local national park and been having a blast.

New hobby and fitness found!

Over the coming year I'll be looking forward to upgrading components as I break them. Hoping the Felt forum will provide input as I need it
    There are some things that you may want to replace before you break them. The derailleur setup isn't the best, the fork is flimsy, and the faster you go the more you'll find yourself squeezing on the brakes. That said, new front fork, derailleur, and larger rotors at the least.

My upgrade path starts with a wider bar, forks and front wheel, then a larger front rotor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah BDKR, already have a case of seriously squeaking front forks. Still breaking her in, will be messing around with adjusting the brakes this weekend as cables are breaking in and stretching etc..
    That being said, outstandingly happy with my Felt

S-WorksLewis
    I have been upgrading my Felt Q520 this past week too, with things more for the looks haha. I put black Oury's with red bar ends on an it looks sweet. A WTB SST saddle and a S-Works red water bottle cage. This week I get paid an I'm gonna swing by the shop and pick up a Shower Pass Veleau and a Garmin Computer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Haa S-Works,
    my first piece of bling that's on order (should arrive next week) is a Hope QR seat post clamp. Not really a functional upgrade apart from enabling quick release seat adjustment, but looks pretty.

Went for a good ride yesterday after work, found a new trail that crossed through a creek a few times so came back covered in mud. Feel I've really christened the bike now, but after that ride the front derailer needs some serious adjustment.

S-WorksLewis
    I rode 6 loops at our river crossing trail which is about 18 miles. And found I love the SR Suntour XCT-V3 suspension. But same with me mmmosh my derailleurs are kind of getting beat up so, I'm thinking about getting a Shimano Deore M591 SGS Rear Derailleur. 60 on Jensen USA.

S-WorksLewis
    I just upgraded a few components on my Felt Q520. I switched the original SR Suntour XCT-V2 Crankset out for a Shimano Deore M590. I also switched the original Shimano Alivo Rear Derailleur out for a Shimano Deore M591. So therefore I had to get a Shimano Ultegra Deore XT Chain. Along the way I bought a WTB Vigo Performance Saddle and a Easton EA70 Flatbar. It's stiff and bulletproof!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well folks, I am now at the point where the 520 is no longr a good fit unless I decide to keep it s an around town cruiser or something. It's really too small for me. On top of that, I need an all mountain rig. If the rear triangle could accept wider tires I would keep it as a dirt jumper. All told it's been a great bike.

mtbr member
    I have been riding my q520 for 4 months or so. Im new to Mountain bike riding. I used to ride BMX street. so its different, BUT, I have been happy with my Felt.

I have replaced:
    stem
    bars
    seat
    tires
    pedals (clipless)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Whats up guys...new here. The thread inspired me to join and post my thoughts. I am new to the mountain side of biking, but I rode some bmx and flatland, plus some moto when I was younger so I have a little experience in the saddle. I chose the 520 because it fit my budget, and I didnt think I would be doing anything other than following my 4 year old son around on family rides...boy was I wrong!

I brought my bike to work and it spawned a huge interest with the guys I work with...now Im riding twice a week with my buddies, hitting some awesome trails all over Chico and Oroville in NorCal. Funny how things work...

The bike is a great base to build on if you dont mind upgrading. I really did want to avoid the upgrade bug, but Ive been bitten! Im going to build the bike up to ride hard, but plan to go FS once the budget allows. So far, my bike is equipped as follows:

RockShox Recon Gold @ 120mm
    Avid BB7 185mm front and rear
    RaceFace Evolve 90mm stem
    Easton Havoc 750mm bars
    WTB Moto clamp grips
    Premium Thin plastic flat pedals
    XTC quick release seatpost clamp
    WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front
    WTB Velociraptor 2.1 rear

Plan on doing the cranks, then wheels...not sure what Im going to get, just depends on the budget. The bike is really good. Guys with experience have ridden it and say its a very nice hardtail. Im happy with it, and even if I ditch the frame for an all mountain bike I still think the bike was a great choice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is my first mountain bike. I bought a Q520 about a month; no regrets. This bike has a great look and a great feel. I've read reviews about the components being junk or crap, but I'm too new to know the difference. The brakes stop me when I apply them, the derailleurs shift when I want them to and the front suspension is getting it done. This is a great entry level bike. I'm just gonna ride until stuff starts breaking and then replace it with something better. Awesome bike!