Thread: Felt Q520

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Felt Q520

Hi, totally new to this so be gentle guys!!
    I am looking to purchase my first decent bike this week (have a budget though!) I have looked at many within my price range and the Felt Q520 in matte black seems to be great value for money, Ive not heard one bad comment on it yet! (for the money of course). I will be mainly doing cross country and was told this bike would be great for that, however I am still a little unsure if I needed a full suspension bike for this???? Also, size of frame... im 6ft, will the 19 and half inch frame be to big? the next frame down is 17 and half inch (looks like a childs bike though!!) Any feed back would be great, thanx,

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by zerOryder
    Hi, totally new to this so be gentle guys!!
    I am looking to purchase my first decent bike this week (have a budget though!) I have looked at many within my price range and the Felt Q520 in matte black seems to be great value for money, Ive not heard one bad comment on it yet! (for the money of course). I will be mainly doing cross country and was told this bike would be great for that, however I am still a little unsure if I needed a full suspension bike for this???? Also, size of frame... im 6ft, will the 19 and half inch frame be to big? the next frame down is 17 and half inch (looks like a childs bike though!!) Any feed back would be great, thanx,
    First of all, it's great that you are looking at a real mountain bike, and not something from WalMart or Target. Felt is a great brand, and I've had good luck with it. Here's a couple of observations: if you are just starting out and not sure if you'll keep biking, it's good to get an entry-level bike. The components are obviously a bit low-end, and the frame will be somewhat heavy for future upgrading, but it'll be a great place to start and decide whether you want to eventually invest more money in the sport.

At your size, definitely get the 19" frame. The horizontal top tube is 23.7, and at your size you'll want to be right around that 24" TT mark. However, I'd absolutely urge you to try several different bikes from several different manufacturers to see what feels best to you. The Felt might be great, or you might like something from Giant, Specialized, or Trek better. Take your time to ride some stuff and enjoy the process. You'll end up with something that feels right and makes you want to ride more.

Finally, talk to a few different shops and look for one that will help you with bike fit, including stem length, saddle adjustment, maintenance, etc. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Felt Q520

Hey,
    Thanks for that, I feel pretty confident in this model now, I have managed to find a good bike shop with 5 star service, they been great, going on monday to try two sizes in this model, already screwed them right down on price, which they cannot do on other model like Giant etc.., getting a fab deal on it so think I will pass on looking at other models.
    Really lookin forward to starting out on this bike.
    Appreciate your advice,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Even though I am new to Felt and considering one myself I have had my share of bikes both road and mtn. over the years. Go to a shop that will fit you and don't guess your size solely based on stand over height. You will be glad you used their fit system if the shop your dealing with offers this.

That is my only advice for you. Felts seem to be great bikes and I am considering the Q720 myself and awaiting feedback from those who have one.
    I am never last; but I am never first either.