mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Felt nine trail vs cannondale sl 29'er 5

any input? also.. does anyone know if the 2012 felt nine trail is like a grey or maroon color? I was told it was more maroon when you see it but online looks like grey.

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg148 View Post
    any input? also.. does anyone know if the 2012 felt nine trail is like a grey or maroon color? I was told it was more maroon when you see it but online looks like grey.
    I saw one in my lbs and its actually a dark 'army' green color (Felt calls it Poison Oak), but that was under modest fluorescent lighting. Might look different in the sun. As for comparing the two, both have fairly low end components but I'd give a slight edge to the Felt because of the fork (100mm vs 80mm), derailleurs, and tires. I have the Geax AKAs on my Nine Sport and really like them in the desert conditions where I live. Also the Felt frame on the Trail is the same as the pricier Nine Race. Cannondale doesn't post the weight of their bike, but Felt's is around 32 lbs and my guess is the Cannondale is comparable. If you can, ride them both or at least look at them in person this will help in your decision making.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I can tell you that I am actively shopping as well for a 29er. I would say that it comes down to riding the bikes that you are interested in. Trying to set them apart by parts at this level is not worth it. The Felt would has more reach (longer toptube and 110mm stem on the Large) and the Cannondale has a 90mm stem. My opinion is they are both good bikes, but it comes down to which one fits you better and puts you in the position you want to be in. Something else to think about...with the Cannondale having the 1.5inch headtube, if you upgrade the fork you will need to get a new stem or reducer along with a new headset. Geometry wise, on paper it looks as if the Felt would be a little better out of the saddle and the Cannondale seems as if it would keep more trail chatter of the saddle (SAVE).