mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Felt Nine Sizing

Any Felt Nine owners out there?

Looking at the Felt Nine Race or possibly even the Felt Nine Elite. Thought about taking a hit in the component department for the carbon frame on the Elite, but not sure if that's wise. $500 difference for the carbon frame.

I did get a chance to ride around on a Felt Nine Solo. Thought it was nice, light and handled well, but was misleading as there wasn't a perfect match on components. Is the frame even the same from the Solo to the Race?

The LBS doesn't stock either, so if I order it...it's mine. No return. I'm a little nervous about doing that...especially when it comes to the frame.

I'm 6'1" and 213 lbs and not sure what size frame I should get on either one. Any suggestions?

The debate is on now between one of the Felt's and a Gary Fisher Paragon. The Paragon rode well off-road, but wasn't a fan of it on the road (which I like to do as well). Maybe I had too big of a frame, or it wasn't set to my liking. I'll find out more on that tomorrow.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    6'1" and 34" inseam on a 19" Nine Solo.

mtbr member
    Found a deal on an 18.5" Nine Elite that I'm considering and I'm 6' 1" and 33" inseam. Got to ride it and seems ok, just wondering if the 20.5" is my true size. Nothing to compare too, anyone had a chance to ride both?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    5'11" w/ a 33" inseam and the 18.5 Nine Race fits great - just bumped the stem down 1 length to a 90mm from the stock 100mm. If you go w/ the Nine Race you'll probably be happy on the 19". Don't have any experience on the Carbon Nine's and their sizing looks a little different

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I faced the same decision a few months ago -- Felt Nine Race (aluminum frame) or Elite (carbon frame). (The Race and Solo have the same frame.) I took a chance and ordered the Elite. Carbon is great at smoothing chatter from gravel and roots. The difference is almost as big as on a road bike. For my riding style (cross country), the better ride of the Elite frame more than makes up for the somewhat lower quality of the components (compared to the Race)--I'm very happy with that part of the decision.

But picking the right size without a test ride is tricky. The geometry of the two frames is somewhat different and they come in different sizes. At 5' 10" with a 33" inch inseam, the 17.5" Race was perfect for me. For the Elite, the 18.5" is the best size for me, but it's a tad long.

You can find Felt's recommendation on their web site if you enter "sizing chart" in the search window. You're at the upper end of the recommended range for 18.5" Nines and towards the lower end for 20.5" Nines.

Plays with tools
    looking at the date of this I assume that you have solved your problem by now, however for others looking I thought I would give my 2 cents as a former employe of a felt dealer.

I have rather long arms and torso for my 6'1" height and I would ride a 21.5 in their 26" wheeled bikes but in the nine series I just can't stand over the XL frame size. Most people would find themselves sizing down one when going from a felt 26" wheel to a 29" at least in terms of stand over which is only part of the fit equation.

I wound up getting a custom 29'er but I built the frame largely based on felts geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree with Customfab. Go down one size on the Felt 29er's. I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam and would normally ride a 17.5" 26er but my 16.5" Team 29er fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    I found a nice used Felt Elite 29er on Craigslist. It is a small (15.5). The web site says I should need a medium, but the guy selling it says he is 5'8" and it fits him. I am about the same height with around a 29 1/2" inseam. Would it be worth driving 200 miles to see if this bike fits me?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I recently bought a Felt Nine Trail. It has a 17.5" frame. I am 5"9 with about a 31" inseam. The seatpost is numbered up to 12 (12 being the highest position). I have mine at 10.5

The bike feels great. I didn't test a larger or smaller frame because they didn't have any but I don't see how I could go any smaller. I am a noob but wouldn't going to a smaller frame mean I have to raise the seat post higher than 10.5??

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Im looking at a Felt Nine Sport at my LBS for around nine bills. I just cant see myself riding a red bike everyday and the Nine Race is way out of my price range. Im 6'1.5'' and ride a 19'' frame on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a felt nine elite in 18.5 and I am 5'9" with very long legs. I had to get a 400mm seatpost to replace the stock 350mm to be able to ride properly. I would definitely recommend a larger size for anyone 5'11" or over

mtbr member
    Bifuss,
    Blue spokes. No WAY! Let's see pictures pictures... or I'm thinkin' your spokes are really silver. ;-)
    H

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    6'4''( 1.95cm) riding a XL ( 21.5 ) Nine Sport with 12cm stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    im about to buy the felt nine trail if i can purchase it from 2011 because i hate the maroon color of the 2012

mtbr member
    You'll love it. This is the best riding mountain bike I have owned or ridden. Mine is a large frame with a 100mm stem, and I'm 5'12".

Good luck.
    Whether you think you can, or think you cant, you're usually right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have not purchased a Felt Nine, but I did test ride a 19.5 inch Sport and I am 6 foot with a 34" inseam and it felt..very good. I am coming off of a 2006 Trek Fuel 19.5 inch. For me the sizing was very comparable to a 26 inch wheeled bike. I think some of it depends on the position you like to be in. The smaller frames will have shorter reach and keep you more upright. Something I feel that Felt offers is race style geometry at affordable prices. While I always encourage people to buy or at least try Felt out, if you are looking for a more relaxed position Trek or GT have some good offerings. I found that the Felt put me in the position and the feel I want more than the Trek Marlin or GT Karakoram.

HNR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm 6'4" with a 34" inside leg measurement. I guess a lot of my height is in my torso/upper body.... I'm looking at a Nine Race as my first bike in 10 years for XC stuff.

I guessing XL is the way to go? Any thoughts?