Thread: Felt Nine Elite

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Felt Nine Elite

I'm picking up my Felt Nine Elite today from Leawood Bikes in Kansas City.

I had a test ride on Saturday and it felt pretty good overall. It's my 1st 29er so I don't have much to compare it to, I'm just loving how the big wheels roooooll. I'll do a write up in reviews when I've put a few miles on it.

Overall it seems like a great bike for the money ($1350) and it looks awesome. I had them change the crankset/BB from the stock Truvativ Fire-X (cheeeap) to a Deore. I may end up switching that again after a few rides though. I'm also not sure about the Avid Juicy 3 brakes, I couldn't find any reviews on them, time will tell I guess. The bars felt a bit strange too so I'll probably try and eBay some better ones.

Specs, pic:

SIZES 15.5 17.5 19.5 21.5"
    FRAME 29er specific MTB frame. Double butted 6061 tubes with Hydroformed Top Tube, Forged dropouts, Oversized Integrated Head Tube, Curved Seat Tube, Replacable Derailleur Hanger, Disc specific
    REAR SHOCK N/A
    FORK Reba SL Dual Air 29 80mm Travel, Air Spring, Motion Control Damping,External rebound, external compression and lock-out. Butted Aluminum Steerer
    HEADSET Integrated 1-1/8" Aheadset--Cane Creek Type 45 Degree Sealed Cartridge Bearing, w/Custom Felt Spacer Kit
    STEM One-Piece CNC Machined Cold-Forged Aluminum, 1-1/8" Threadless, 4-Bolt, 5 Degree,15.5=90mm; 17.5=100mm; 19.5=110mm; 21.5=120mm
    HANDLEBAR Felt Butted Aluminum, 30mm Rise, 6 degree Bend, with Felt Laser Logos. Widths: 15.5-17.5=580mm; 19.5=600; 21.5=620
    GRIPS: Felt Soft Kraton, 130mm Length, 30mm OD
    BAR END CAPS N/A
    SHIFTERS Shimano Deore SL-M511 Rapidfire, 27 Speed
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore LX FD-M580 Top Swing Top Pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Deore XT RD-M761 Top-Normal Version
    CRANKSET Truvativ Firex 3.2, 2-Piece Crank Giga-X-Pipe External Bearing Design, Cold-Forged AL-66, 44/32/22T, 7075 Outer and Middle Rings, Lengths: 15.5=170mm; 17.5-21.5=175mm
    BB SET Truvativ GPX Team XR, Super Oversized Heat Treated Cr-Mo Included w/Crank
    FREEWHEEL Shimano HG-50-9, 9-Speed Cassette, 11-34T CHAIN: Sram PC-951 (9-Speed) Silver Outer
    CHAIN: Sram PC-951 (9-Speed) Silver Outer
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 3
    BRAKES: Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic, Rotors: 160mm Front & Rear, Graphite grey anodized
    CABLES: Felt Black Derailleur Cable Set

SADDLE: Felt "Facade" Race,Double-Density Base, Tubular Cr-Mo Rails
    SEAT POST Two-Bolt Alloy Micro-Adjust 30.9mm x 350mm
    SEAT POST CLAMP Felt Bolt-Type, Cold Forged + CNC, 6061 Aluminum, with Steel Barrel Nut, 34.9mm
    F/HUB Shimano FH-M475 IS 6 Bolt Disc, 32H
    R/HUB Shimano FH-M475 8/9 Speed Cassette freehub, IS 6 Bolt Disc, 32H, with Quick Release Black anodized
    RIMS WTB SpeedDisc All Mtn 700c x 26mm x 32hole, Single eyelets, Black Anodized
    TIRE Maxxis Ignitor 29 x 2.1 60TPI Kevlar Folding Bead, with Superlight Inner Tubes
    SPOKES Black Stainless 14G/15G double butted w. BLK Brass Nipples

Professional lurker
    Addressing a couple of your concerns.

The Juicy 3s are essentially last years Juicy 5s.

You're spot on with the Too narrow bars, it's also coupled to a 1cm too long stem per size.

the Deore crank you're swapping to is a side step, not an upgrade from the Firex.

Which size are you picking up and how tal are you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer_John
    Addressing a couple of your concerns.

The Juicy 3s are essentially last years Juicy 5s.

You're spot on with the Too narrow bars, it's also coupled to a 1cm too long stem per size.

the Deore crank you're swapping to is a side step, not an upgrade from the Firex.

Which size are you picking up and how tal are you?
    Thanks.

It looks like some of the issues of the Juicy5's from last year have been addressed (new style rotors etc) so hopefully they'll be OK.

The Deore was the best they had in stock for an even swap so I went with it. Due to a bad experience with a Fire-X before I didn't feel comfortable paying for one. I'll swap out the Deore for something better before too long.

Any suggestions on bars? I may go carbon fiber for some bling appeal

I'm 6'4" and got a 19.5" after reading that they ran pretty big. Standover height is about 1/2" higher than my 21" KHS 26er . I'd recommend that anyone looking at Felt Nine's consider ordering a size smaller than they usually would.

Professional lurker
    They are freight trains.

I ride a 19 Voodoo, Large Cdale F29 and an 18 KMonkey, even the 17.5 Felt was a tad too long.

Great parts kit on them though for the money.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    We finally got nice weather so I was able to take the Felt out for its first ride yesterday. I'll post a review today.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by //M5Racer
    We finally got nice weather so I was able to take the Felt out for its first ride yesterday. I'll post a review today.
    How much later?

Its been four months; having too much fun riding to post?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by //M5Racer
    I don't think he really has a bike Just kidding.. It's been 5 months man!!
    What happens in Vegas....I brag about for years....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by power-san
    I don't think he really has a bike Just kidding.. It's been 5 months man!!
    Actually, he said that he would post a review in the "REVIEWS" section. I checked and he actually posted his review back in April. 5 Chillies.

mtbr member
    Looks like Felts are hard to beat for the $$$. Congrats on the new ride. I might be joining the Felt movement myself (roses to the wife, etc)...