mtbr member

Felt needs to learn about customer service

I purchased a 2015 Edict 1 from a friend in Oregon, he was the original owner. After a few weeks of riding it the rear stay cracked, the crack was not there when I bought it as I went over it with a fine tooth comb. I tried to contact Felt but they said I had to go to a dealer, dealer took the bike, took pictures and contacted Felt. After a few days the called and said they would cover it if I had the receipt. I was honest and said I was not the original owner. No dice. Suddenly they only had a 2014 Edict 3 stay available (wrong color, non textreme carbon) for $400. I really wanted the correct stay, so I again contacted Felt and voiced my displeasure, in return I got a very rude email saying they only deal with original owners. In this day and age, bikes get more than one owner, they need to learn to take care of anyone who decides to buy their brand, I was willing to buy a stay, I thought I should at least be given the opportunity to get the correct stay at a crash replacement price. A few more days pass and I get a call from the shop that they offered a stay that they use a generic replacement for the FRD and Edict 1's that was clear coated raw carbon, but this stay is $675. I decide to go with the 14 stay as money is a bit tight..I go to the shop and pay for the special order, a few days go by and the shop calls and says the stay is on the way but they have been directed by Felt to not give it to me unless I surrender the damaged stay. What a bunch of crap. I could understand if they were giving me a deal under warranty, but basically I was paying retail for the new stay, the damaged stay should be mine, I was actually thinking of sending it to Ruckus Composites to have it repaired so I could have a backup as I am feeling that cracked stays might be a problem. I can tell you this, I wont buy another Felt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You seriously spent the time to complain about this? It's standard for all brands, Felt doesn't need to learn anything you do.

Buying used = no warranty. Should have had your friend take it back to the shop for you.

I can you tell this, you'd better not buy any bike.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Formerly of Kent
    You would have received the same or very similar response from the vast majority of companies out there today.

Warranty service only applies to the ORIGINAL OWNER.

Pretty simple concept.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    You guys must all work for Felt. I have numerous friends that have bought the Big S brand second hand and have had warranties covered. I bought my Ford second hand and the warranty carried over to me. They should have at least worked with me, they basically gave me the finger, losing me as a potential future customer.

mtbr member
    I own a Specialized, second owner, and knew full well I was out of luck on any warranty claims. Stop whining.
    '16 Intense Tracer DVO edition
    '14 Spesh Enduro Expert 29

mtbr member
    Its sad what MTBR has become...a bunch of douche bags.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    You guys must all work for Felt. I have numerous friends that have bought the Big S brand second hand and have had warranties covered. I bought my Ford second hand and the warranty carried over to me. They should have at least worked with me, they basically gave me the finger, losing me as a potential future customer.
    No we're just not dumb asses. What does Ford have to do with bikes.

Trek:
    We've Got You Covered
    Every new Trek bicycle comes with our industry's best warranty and loyalty program - Trek Care. Once your bicycle is registered, Trek provides each original retail purchaser of a Trek bicycle a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, as stated below: \

Santa Cruz:
    Santa Cruz Bicycles will repair or replace at its option any frame it determines to be defective. The warranty will be in effect for lifetime of the original, registered owner. In order to confirm that you are the original owner, please register using our Warranty Registration Form at the time of purchase.

Giant:
    Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle.

Pivot:
    Pivot Cycles promises Pivot frames to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 3 years from its date of purchase. This limited warranty applies to the original owner and is nontransferable.

Turner:
    Turner will repair or replace any Turner frame, Only if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 2 year warranty applies to the frameset Only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is only valid to the original owner with an original sales receipt.

Even Devinci the ONLY brand that used to have a Lifetime transferable warranty doesn't anymore:
    The warranty does not apply if:
    The damages were caused by a fortuitous event;
    The bicycle was purchased from a retailer other than those authorized by devinci;
    The bicycle was not entirely assembled by an authorized devinci retailer;
    The bicycle was repaired by a person other than an authorized devinci retailer;
    You are not the original owner of the bicycle;

And finally Felt:
    All Felt frames and forks on Felt adult bicycles and bicycle framesets (Road, Triathlon, Speed, MTB, Cruisers, Comfort), except Shot models, are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects in material and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its sad what MTBR has become...a bunch of douche bags.
    Technically you're the douche bag expecting something you're not entitled to, but it's sad what society has become.

They did work with you. sounds like they offered a crash replacement.

Funny there are Specialized threads with *******s complaining the free replacement did not match the original color.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Your Best Friend
    Besides being wrong on the warranty/original owner issue, every brand I've ever worked with requires the broken part to be turned over. I agree that you are what is wrong with our society.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

The White Jeff W
    Pretty much common knowledge that once a bike changes hands the warranty ends.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    It is the reason to buy new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Definitely no dice on the warranty, but you are getting jerked around a bit on having to send them broken stay for them to sell you the retail priced replacement. Sketchy.

mtbr member
    Don't think Felt needs to worry about 2nd hand buyers