mtbr member

Felt the Love on Pemberton Today

Hi All,
    Been lurking here a while and really enjoy the tips, experiences, and stories everyone shares so I 'm sorry that my first post here is a rant but I have to get this off my chest.
    I have one word for the guy who blew past me on Pemberton today...THANKS. I was on the side of the trail with my bike flipped upside down, back wheel off, fixing a flat. I didn't see him coming. Just saw the back of him. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse and I care about people, but I can't believe he just flew by me. I travel with my job so I always ride alone, which is fine. I've thought about the possibility of getting stuck on a trail alone. But I always told myself that someone would probably pass by and offer to help. Not any more. Not after today. I can't count the number of times I've passed someone stopped on a trail and slowed down to ask if they're ok. And those people and their bikes were upright. I was doing fine fixing my flat but I would think that someone with their bike in pieces on the side of a trail at least deserves a "Hey, are you ok?".
    I'm sorry for ranting. I don't want to p*ss anyone off. But it really made me mad; then disappointed.

Shovel Ready
    That is just one individual. I always ask if things are ok when someone is paused on a trial. As do the people I ride with! Had a nurse insert a sensor for a glucose monitor today. She was rude, but I won't hold that against all nurses! It is sad to hear some don't have a care in the world for others.

Better luck on the next ride. There really our some great people/riders here in Arizona!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I know that can be upsetting. Some people can be so into their "workout" that they ignore all around them. It's been my experiance that Mountainbikers will usually stop or at least ask if you need help, but it's sad that you got passed by the exception. You can be assured that if it had been one of the regular posters on this board not only would they have stopped but you would have made a new friend. Hope to meet up on a trail sometime.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by oaba35
    Hi All,
    Been lurking here a while and really enjoy the tips, experiences, and stories everyone shares so I 'm sorry that my first post here is a rant but I have to get this off my chest.
    I have one word for the guy who blew past me on Pemberton today...THANKS. I was on the side of the trail with my bike flipped upside down, back wheel off, fixing a flat. I didn't see him coming. Just saw the back of him. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse and I care about people, but I can't believe he just flew by me. I travel with my job so I always ride alone, which is fine. I've thought about the possibility of getting stuck on a trail alone. But I always told myself that someone would probably pass by and offer to help. Not any more. Not after today. I can't count the number of times I've passed someone stopped on a trail and slowed down to ask if they're ok. And those people and their bikes were upright. I was doing fine fixing my flat but I would think that someone with their bike in pieces on the side of a trail at least deserves a "Hey, are you ok?".
    I'm sorry for ranting. I don't want to p*ss anyone off. But it really made me mad; then disappointed.

No one has an obligation to help you. It's nice if they do, but I see this as a little rediculous. I pushed my bike out of Granite Basin for about 2 miles on Sunday, because I busted my derailer. I did go by two people, but I didn't really care about the fact that they didn't offer help. I had already accepted the fact that under the worst case senario, I have to walk my bike out. That's no one's fault, but mine. That doesn't mean I can always keep it from happening, but I'm not expecting people to "give me" something.

I've gotten stuck on many a trail all alone, and had to push out for varying amonts of time, sometimes past sundown. It's something I accept.

I'd guess that I'd catagorize that guy as an "a-hole", but in the end I wouldn't really be mad at him at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    No one has an obligation to help you. It's nice if they do, but I see this as a little rediculous.
    I have to disagree with this. I think you always have a moral obligation to make sure that somebody by the side of the trail is okay. Just like you would if you saw a car accident--you should stop and make sure everybody is ok, call the police, etc. I don't necessarily think that you have an obligation to "give" them a tube or tools or anything, assuming that they are ok and within walking distance of their car. But you should always check to make sure they aren't hurt (often a broken bike is an indication of a crash), or dehydrated.

Just my opinion.

Meatbomb
    Being a boater, it's bad karma to speed past someone dead in the water. I feel the same applys to mountain biking.

However, if you are in need of assistance, wave the guy down and ask for it .

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    This behavior is definitely related to when you are riding. I suspect if you were out there on Saturday, you would have gotten tired of all the people asking if you needed help. On a Wednesday day ride most people that you are gonna see at Pemberton are gonna be super serious-completely-dialed-in-to-the-ride-zone-out-the-world riders. I used to run into this
    at SoMo when I would ride before work on DC. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I would never get so much as a head nod while meeting other riders on Tuesdays and Thursdays the other riders were much more friendly. Saturdays and Sundays the other riders are even friendlier (most of them). Its a mixed bag.

Was the ride good? Yesterday was a great day to be riding. I had to work late

bobo

Too many Sedonuts...
    No one has an obligation to help you.
    Depends on the situation. If they need a tube or a tire lever and they are less than a mile from their car, then I agree, there is not really an "obligation" to help, they should have that and if they don't that is their poor planning. Not that I would ever deny someone those items, (I freely give out tubes and CO2 all the time) but it's a bit of a stretch to say we are all obligated to provide basic supplies to anyone that needs them at any time. But if they need something more, like water or CPR or a leg splint or they are 25 miles from the car with the sun going down, then yes there is absolutely an obligation to help.

The point is you won't know unless you ask, so you should always ask.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No one has an obligation to help you. It's nice if they do, but I see this as a little rediculous. I pushed my bike out of Granite Basin for about 2 miles on Sunday, because I busted my derailer. I did go by two people, but I didn't really care about the fact that they didn't offer help. I had already accepted the fact that under the worst case senario, I have to walk my bike out. That's no one's fault, but mine. That doesn't mean I can always keep it from happening, but I'm not expecting people to "give me" something.

I've gotten stuck on many a trail all alone, and had to push out for varying amonts of time, sometimes past sundown. It's something I accept.

I'd guess that I'd catagorize that guy as an "a-hole", but in the end I wouldn't really be mad at him at all.
    noone has to stop for you. did you ask for help. you had your bike propped and upside down and your wheel was off. i think you look like you know what you are doing. do you really want someone who is probably trying to forget his a hole boss and his nagging wife and the whole world to stop and say hi and make sure you dont really need his help? if you need help just ask. i always ask if anyone needs help but thats me. one guy? out of how many? i think you are over reacting.i agree with the above poster. its part of the game.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I always ask passively just to build up the good Karma. You just don't know when you will need it. I always ride with three rules, always obey right-of-way (mind you don't have to stop to let someone by), always ask if a guy is broken and stopped if they need help, but if it's permanently broke you hike your own ride out if possible. If no injury, by no means am I going to ruin my ride just to help someone carry their own ride nor do I expect it when my bike is broken. It's one of the inherant risks of biking. If they are injured that is a whole new ballgame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Had a nurse insert a sensor for a glucose monitor today. She was rude, but I won't hold that against all nurses!
    Sorry to hear that. There are some rude nurses out there who should probably find another profession. I always apologize when people tell me a rude-nurse story even tho it wasn't me. Thanks for that perspective. I have had more than one person ask me if I'm ok while stopped on a ride. I usually think "God, do I look that winded that they think I need help?!

Shovel Ready
    Maybe the nurse was just having a bad day!

To me I cannot see why anyone in training mode or whatever could not shout out a simple "you alright" as they pass by someone on the trial. What is that going to take one second off a training ride! I fully agree it is not my job to pack out a bike or carry enough stuff to fix another's bike. Unless they are hurt of course. But hey we are all out in the same area and a little kindness never hurt anyone.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.