Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

FELT Launches new 29er hardtail line

http://www.feltracing.com/news/default.asp#11

I like the spec on these like the 180 cranks on the biggest size. 29lbs for the ss seems a bit heavy though!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Interesting... anybody ridden one of these? Didn't see any reviews on it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wonder why the SS is heavier AND the same price as the geared bike??? 70mm BB drop? cool

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It seems like the MSRP on the Pro 29' is really really really cheap...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like it...and I think my buddy from the LBS carries Felt which might mean a bit of a discount.

J

Harmonius Wrench

Observations

Single speed: Cool color! EBB and integrated headset add weight. Also, it's got hydro brakes, which are heavier. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the listed weight is incorrect. But it's probably close. A Raleigh XXIX weighs in at 27lbs on my scale with a rigid fork. Finally, if that rig comes with a radially laced front wheel like the picture shows I'd not be pleased about that!

Hardtails: Why is a shade of green on everybodies 29"er? Spec seems about right, although the "Pro" weight seems a bit optimistic. Prices are pretty well on the mark considering other 29"ers I've looked at. Standout spec items are the Avid hydro brakes and Ignitor tires. Finally, something other than an Exi!

Ibex has a 29"er coming out that looks to have the identical frame to these for their hardtail FS model. You can score that one for a grand if you pre order it.

As for me, I'm not an integrated headset fan, so that's a deal killer for me.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Wonder why the SS is heavier AND the same price as the geared bike??? 70mm BB drop? cool
    Higher spec disc brakes and cranks, trail bike rims instead of xc rims, felt custom hubs, different frame with an EBB, also it looks like the SS includes platform pedals but the nine elite doesn't have pedals pictured. Just including platform pedals alone would account for about a pound and a half of weight probably.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

If you have to ask...
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Single speed: Cool color! EBB and integrated headset add weight. Also, it's got hydro brakes, which are heavier. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the listed weight is incorrect. But it's probably close.

"It has hydro brakes, which are heavier" than what? The entire line has hydros.

Also, hydros are only heavier than mechanicals if you use reverse math. Weights for the hydraulics always are a complete front brake assembly- rotor, caliper, line, fluid, and lever whereas mechanicals only call out the weight of the caliper and rotor set.
    Therefore weights would need to be normalized-
    Hydro system < mechanical system including cable, housing, and brake lever

For example, Avid calls out 428g for their Juicy 5. However, the BB7 weighs in at 318 (325 for the BB5). Their lightest lever is the Speed Dial SL, at 150. We're up to 468g already, and we haven't factored in the cable or housing, both of which are heavier than their respective hydro counterparts.

Hydraulics ARE lighter than mechanicals. It's that simple.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by cobblestone
    http://www.feltracing.com/news/default.asp#11

I like the spec on these like the 180 cranks on the biggest size. 29lbs for the ss seems a bit heavy though!
    I like the geared version of the Nine Pro. Weight claim of 25.75 lbs (doesn't say what size that is), but a wheelset upgrade could easily trim a pound off of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bored
    Finally, if that rig comes with a radially laced front wheel like the picture shows I'd not be pleased about that!
    I think that image of the Solo is computer generated, and its easier to model radial lacing.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Harmonius Wrench

Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by miles

Also, hydros are only heavier than mechanicals if you use reverse math. Weights for the hydraulics always are a complete front brake assembly- rotor, caliper, line, fluid, and lever whereas mechanicals only call out the weight of the caliper and rotor set.

For example, Avid calls out 428g for their Juicy 5. However, the BB7 weighs in at 318 (325 for the BB5). Their lightest lever is the Speed Dial SL, at 150. We're up to 468g already, and we haven't factored in the cable or housing, both of which are heavier than their respective hydro counterparts.

miles
    I stand corrected. I had forgotten the weights of mechs did not include the levers and lines. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you have to ask...
    I stand corrected. I had forgotten the weights of mechs did not include the levers and lines. Thanks for pointing that out.

A very common mistake. Perpetuated by the component manufacturers, no doubt.

miles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

miles
    Your also listing the weight of 2 levers, with one caliper, which moves you down to 393 plus cables.

ballbuster

Yep...

miles
    Thread Hijack alert!

I shaved 2/3 of a pound off my bike by dumping my BB7s and going with Magura Claras. Another plus side, they felt way better. In the negative side, they sucked in a fat air bubble once a month, requiring a bleeding... and ruining my rides. Swapped those out for some Hope Mono Minis, lost a few more grams, and gained some great frickin brakes.

Single speed: Cool color! EBB and integrated headset add weight.
    As for me, I'm not an integrated headset fan, so that's a deal killer for me.
    EBB's add weight yes, but intergrated headsets do NOT. If anything, most intergrated headsets (whether they be internal or zero stack) are lighter than conventional headsets. It would be nice if they gave a better model identity for the headset. Internal and Zero Stack do have some differences.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Harmonius Wrench

You're right, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    EBB's add weight yes, but intergrated headsets do NOT. If anything, most intergrated headsets (whether they be internal or zero stack) are lighter than conventional headsets. It would be nice if they gave a better model identity for the headset. Internal and Zero Stack do have some differences.
    By necessity, the head tube itself has to be reinforced to accomodate the bearings and spread the loading forces adequately so as to not deform the head tube. This weight must be accounted for since it is in effect part of the "head set" of the bike, as it were. Usually this means that the overall weight will end up being more than a conventional headset and frame, but this is difficult to demonstrate.

But be that as it may, the thing that I really don't like is that integrated headsets on mountain bikes introduce a higher risk of frame failure and limit your head set choices. It's something that is just not necessary. What problem does an integrated headset solve anyway?

Back to the initial discussion: The Felt 29"er line. It's an interesting line up, but it really isn't all that different than some others. Some spec differences, yes. The standout seems to be the Pro model, which leads the way as far as a nicely spec'ed 29"er for the money. The SS seems a bit pricey for the weight and spec, and the Elite seems about right in terms of what else is out there in that spec and price range.

Nice to have more choices. Nice to see the hydro brake spec and Maxxis tire spec -that is different. I wish they would have avoided the integrated headset. That to me is the lineups downfall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    1500 for a 29 lbs SS is just stupid. i was really interested when i saw this thread but not anymore

http://www.feltracing.com/products/p...tid=18,23,1446

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=heythorp]1500 for a 29 lbs SS is just stupid. i was really interested when i saw this thread but not anymore

I just got off the phone with the engineer that designed this bike and he has informed me that the weight of the Nine Solo is wrong. As soon as they have the correct weight the website will be changed.

If you have to ask...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton
    Your also listing the weight of 2 levers, with one caliper, which moves you down to 393 plus cables.

I don't believe it. That would put each lever at 75g, which isn't much more than the incredibly delicate Kooka levers from days gone by. I'd have to see them weighed to be convinced.
    In fact, over at Weightweenies, they specifically call out 188g for a pair of Speed Dial Ti levers.

miles

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=Rob M.]
    Quote Originally Posted by heythorp
    1500 for a 29 lbs SS is just stupid. i was really interested when i saw this thread but not anymore

I just got off the phone with the engineer that designed this bike and he has informed me that the weight of the Nine Solo is wrong. As soon as they have the correct weight the website will be changed.

thanks rob, did he give you any indication of what it actually weighs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=heythorp]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M.

thanks rob, did he give you any indication of what it actually weighs?
    The official weight is 23.4 lbs. Not sure if it was a 17" or 19" that was weighed. Once I know what size was weighed I will let yoiu know.

By necessity, the head tube itself has to be reinforced to accomodate the bearings and spread the loading forces adequately so as to not deform the head tube. This weight must be accounted for since it is in effect part of the "head set" of the bike, as it were. Usually this means that the overall weight will end up being more than a conventional headset and frame, but this is difficult to demonstrate.
    Except it doesn't to the extent you think it does, because the whole advantage to the things other than the reduced stack heights is to increase the outside diameter of the headtube, for more weld area with the top and down tubes, and a stronger frame as a result. And just like with frame tubes, increasing the diameter lets you thin the tube wall to have a stiffer/stronger tube, for the same weight.

What problem does an integrated headset solve anyway?
    You remind me of Chris King, who came up with dozens of excuses for why internal and zero stack headsets were evil, yet his own peridoo headsets were the cat's meow. Nevermind the fact that other companies had been using them successfully for years (cannondale, klein, etc).

Back to the initial discussion: The Felt 29"er line. It's an interesting line up, but it really isn't all that different than some others.
    I haven't noticed any others spec'ing a 72.5 head angle. Most of the brands who thought to go with a steeper head angle only went 1 degree steeper than standard NORBA XC (71) head angles.

I don't believe it. That would put each lever at 75g, which isn't much more than the incredibly delicate Kooka levers from days gone by. I'd have to see them weighed to be convinced.
    In fact, over at Weightweenies, they specifically call out 188g for a pair of Speed Dial Ti levers.

miles
    Your scale of days gone by is broken. Kooka levers were 94 grams for a PAIR. 75g per lever is a LOT more than the kooka levers, or for that matter any of the other really lightweight mechanical levers. Its decidedly middleweight for them in fact. I've had cheap steel core/plastic resin coated bracket/ forged alloy lever blades for V-brakes that cost some factory in taiwan a DOLLAR to produce that weighed 75g/lever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

miles
    Go back to your weight weenies ite, Avid SL's listed at 150 a pair.

regardless, i wasn't arguing the weight, or stating facts. I was just pointing out the error in his math. have a great day.

Professional lurker
    That's about what I remember Andy stating as the projected weight for the Pro, back at Interbike.

Man, I"m really torn. I'd really like to rip one of these open and just ride it. But with the loss of my last 26er, I'm jonesin for a new ride and I don't thin I can wait for March to get one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast