mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Felt frames compared to Trek, Spec.. (opinions wanted please)

Finally, I'm biting the bullet and looking for a frame for all my components. I have it narrowed down to a few options, and any advice.

Option 1 is a Specialized Stmpjumper frame. Problem here is that they're not available in my size (19) That's the preferred option, but I can't ride a virtual frame.

Felt RXC. I don't know much about Felt, but I have heard the carbon seatstays were problematic. Any thoughts on durability or riding impressions?

Last is a Trek 8500. Standard rigid, but I don't know if it's available as a frame only.

Thanks for any pointers or tips.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone? Input on Felt frames? I'm going to a dealer on Tuesday and asking a zillion questions, but I don't know anyone who's ridden them.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm afraid my own knowledge of Felt is limited to magazine tests/ editorial opinions. From what I recall, Jim Felt's knowledge of frame building expertise is legendary and has transferred directly to his work ethic at Felt bicycles.

I think I have a link to a test my buddies over at Mountain Bike Tales ran on the Felt RXT Team a few months back:

http://www.mountainbiketales.com/rev...eltrxcteam.htm
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Felt frames

I don't know much about the felt MTBs but Jim Felt is known as one of the premier frame builders in triathlon. He used to be fairly high up at easton so knows a thing or two about aluminum tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That was my gut feel on Felt bikes. Their road bikes seem to have a great rep, so I think I'm going to have to take a demo ride on one of their MTBs. Looking forward to it, actually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

How was the test ride?

I am sort of in the same situation and landed upon this thread. Looking at Felts and I am wondering about the rear triangle with carbon seat stays. I would be buying it used but still skeptical with the carbon. Looking at a Virtue 2 in a Large. I am 5'11" and about 215 or so.

I have read all the tests but sort of looking for some real life/ trail feedback.

Thanks,

tom

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    I have a Felt F3C carbon fiber road bike that I love. I wouldn't even think twice about getting another one.

If I ever replace my Specialized Epic, I'll go with Felt.