mtbr member

Felt Elite 29er? Anyone heard of this bike?

I walk into my LBS and see an 07 Felt Elite 29er (geared) on sale for about $1,100. I am in the market for an xl or 21'' hardtail 29er. It appears to have Hydro Avid brakes, XT components (except the crank). I'm 6'4'' 230lbs and am tired of riding my 26'' small wheel bike.

Here is the link:
    Felt Elite 29er

So, I am itching to convert over to the darkside :-). Any comments both bad and good about this bike would be helpful. Also, any other comparable bikes < $1500 would also be helpful. It needs to be geared and not rigid.

Thanks

SanDiegoTrailRider
    Last edited by SanDiegoTrailRider; 08-12-2007 at 06:32 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have not ridden said bike, but Felt builds a nice bike. If the price is right, It may be worth a shot.

You know, for kids
    yah, Felts are nice, all Felts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Beware of the Deore shifters!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Superfly
    Why?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Do you guys think this build is strong enough for a clyde? 230lbs?

trail rat
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Shifters are cheap and easily replaceable if they break. Look at the major parts and don't sweat over little things like shifters seatposts saddles pedals etc.
    Sounds like a competitive price and they can't give you that type of price with all high end components.

Mac & Jacks African Amber
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoTrailRider
    Do you guys think this build is strong enough for a clyde? 230lbs?
    I'd say so. My clyde-ness loves this bike, though its spec'd as Pro components, the frames are the same. This 21.5" is great for me at 6'4" & ~ 250lbs. Only draw backs were the narrow OEM bar & 120mm stem with 5 degree + rise. I swapped to a 30mm, 17 degree stem, OS and added a 711mm, 50 mm rise bar. I love the set-up. Plenty of leverage for climbing, etc...and comfortable ride position.

The frame is very stout. The bottom tube is large diameter and helps to produce a stiff frame. Much better than my old stead, a GF '07 19.5" Rig. Not necessarily the best pic but, my approximately same-sized carcus on the 21.5" frame for prespective. I still hang off the back of the saddle some too, so I do not think the frame size will present a problem of being too big.

I hope this helps in some way. I really love this bike. I know the components make some difference but, the frame is great base, and the price you quoted can't be beat for what your getting. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

mtbr member
    This really helps me a lot. Thanks for the posting this.

Gold Member
    I was just looking at one at our LBS. It's a pretty nice bike for the $$, especially considering that it comes with a REBA and my El Mar was fully rigid for the same $$.

That said, they do use some Deore stuff, I'm sure it works fine, but not sure for how long.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    The Felt Nine was in the running for my recent 29er purchase, but I couldn't get the LBS below $1200, and since it wasn't in stock it had to be ordered anyway. I was looking at $1300+ after tax, and payment in advance of the order. So, I went with the Ibex at $999 to save $300.

For $1100, I most likely would have ordered the Felt Nine just for post-sale LBS support.

I've ridden other Felts, from what I've seen they're well built.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Shifters are cheap and easily replaceable if they break. Look at the major parts and don't sweat over little things like shifters seatposts saddles pedals etc.
    Sounds like a competitive price and they can't give you that type of price with all high end components.
    I would consider shifters a "major part" of any bike. I have had 2 sets of deore shifters in the past. Within a months time they had lost that nice "click" to engage the next gear and became "mushy". That makes the drivetrain near impossible to keep tuned without at least some ghostshifting. Shifters are also not cheap to replace. For a nice XT set you will spend over $100. Other than that it seems like a nice bike. I personally have learned that I prefer to buy a 1-2 yr old nice condition used high end xt-xtr bike over a new Deore/LX bike but thats just me. For my riding XT seems to last years while Deore lasts months.

The Dog.
    I would consider shifters a "major part" of any bike. I have had 2 sets of deore shifters in the past. Within a months time they had lost that nice "click" to engage the next gear and became "mushy". That makes the drivetrain near impossible to keep tuned without at least some ghostshifting. Shifters are also not cheap to replace. For a nice XT set you will spend over $100. Other than that it seems like a nice bike. I personally have learned that I prefer to buy a 1-2 yr old nice condition used high end xt-xtr bike over a new Deore/LX bike but thats just me. For my riding XT seems to last years while Deore lasts months.
    I still use my old 7 speed STX shifters. Seem pretty bulletproof to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just picked up my Elite for 1129.00 I haven't been on a bike in way to long but after doing some research and talking to others Felt was highly recommend and I love the ride of a 29er I wish they had 29ers when I rode all the time!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Get this one and you won't have to worry about the deore shifters

mtbr member
    I've been steered clear away from this bike @ several LBS's.. Apparently, the geometry is all wrong on this ride.. Although, it does appear to be a very solid ride. Nice spec. for the money!!
    What happens in Vegas....I brag about for years....

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by power-san
    I've been steered clear away from this bike @ several LBS's.. Apparently, the geometry is all wrong on this ride.. Although, it does appear to be a very solid ride. Nice spec. for the money!!
    Hmmmm, Interesting. Are these 29er savvy shops?

I ask, since I have been considering one of these to supplement my Inbred SS rigid 29er for epic rides. My Inbred is an 05 model, and comparing the specs, the Felt is very close to my On*One, except for standard stem length, but that is easily remedied. My Inbred is the only 29er I have ridden, but since I have owned a ton of MTBs since 1979, I know what works for me. I also wrenched, and raced both road (1970-1979) and MTB (1979-1988), so I am familiar with all the fit systems out there.

My LBS sells a ton of Felt road and cross bikes that they like: they admit that they know nothing about 29ers, but respect my preferences, and give me no grief.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Youtube banned me 4 life.
    Jul 2003

We the people ... Felt 29er SS

I know this thread is dated. However.
    I just rode my Felt SS 29er with my Sun group ride and I toasted several of the geared 'fast guys'.
    They tend to lag in the hills because of their suspension and granny gears.
    I weigh only 220 and am not a gentle or smooth rider. This bike has been a dream through my choppy riding.
    These are the mods I've made: Had the wheels set up better and the brake lines bled out, the pads changed after 6 months. The eccentric BB needs quarterly cleaning to keep it smooth and buttery but I can do that. I have a different saddle, new tires (Maxxis 2.4) and bigger grips.
    I get gears from EndlessBikes and they change out in under 5 minutes including chain adjustment. What's not to love?

One of my buddy's went to one of those shops that doesn't believe in 29ers. He has a new 26er. He stands 6-5 and 230+lbs.
    Now seriously. There is just no reason for him to have smaller wheels.
    I feel that my Felt handles better, sharper, faster than my FS bike ever did.
    When my buddy wears out his new bike, we'll steer him over to a new 29er ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Deore are an entry level spec. You get what you pay for.