mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Felt Edict Pro seatstay crack

2011 Felt Edict Pro bought just under a month ago, I've taken to to Alum Creek(phase 1 and beginner trail) here in Columbus twice and Chestnut Ridge once so less than 15 miles... Got it home Saturday from Chestnut Ridge to find a crack about where the red circle is below on the opposite side of the bike.

I've done ZERO jumps, don't ride over logs, haven't fallen off it, nothing and I've already got a crack in the rear triangle. Needless to say I'm not pleased but I took it back to my LBS and they assured me I won't have to pay for anything since there is no impact mark or evidence of anything other than a weak point in the seam of the carbon. They took some pictures and Felt then requested that it be sent back to CA for them to inspect.

It's currently on its way back to the manufacturer so I should hopefully have an update soon.

Also, I love this bike. I hope it's fixed quickly as I can't wait to get back in the woods haha.

FYI: not my bike or my picture
    link to original pic: Gallery: Felt Edict Pro Review - BikeRadar
    Last edited by bogman2121; 10-26-2011 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well two weeks after I sent it back I'm still waiting to hear. They received the bike last Friday and I was told it should be looked at this week so I'm crossing my fingers they replace the rear triangle and send it back today as I've owned the bike for five weeks and been without it for two and we're coming up on the last few nice weekends before it gets too cold to ride.

-Bought the bike 09/29
    -cracked/took to LBS 10/22
    -sent to Felt 10/24
    -received by Felt 10/29

Hoping for a positive experience and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by bogman2121; 11-04-2011 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just informed by my LBS that Felt is now saying they can't get to my bike this week...

www.feltbicycles.com
    Joe- I sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well wouldn't you know it, as soon as I start getting really mad Felt comes through and finally says they're going to replace the frame/triangle. Just got a call from my LBS that the bike should ship back out to us this week so I should be able to ride it next weekend.

Not sure if they're replacing just the triangle as it moves free or if they're sending a whole new frame too but I'm happy to finally hear some word on it. I'm told it took so long because they had never had an Edict fail like this before, so the engineering department wanted to take a pretty good look at it to make sure it won't be an issue going forward.
    Last edited by bogman2121; 05-09-2013 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've gotta say I definitely jumped the gun on getting upset with Felt's customer service. I've since received a lot of communication from three different employees of the company expressing their apologies, concerns, and letting me know the details that caused the slight delay.

Turns out my Edict was one of the first, if not the first, needing to come in for warranty work so the engineering department wanted to take a more thorough look at it and when a warranty frame was needed, there were none ready to be sent.

Ultimately I was a little disappointed that the seatstay cracked but man do I love that bike I just wish I were good enough to justify owning it but I can work on that.

Thanks to Wil, Eddie, and Dave for getting back to me quickly and being more than helpful.

Edit: Spelling.
    Last edited by bogman2121; 05-09-2013 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great to hear about the happy ending. I just bought a 2011 Edict Pro last week. I am just changing/adding a few bits to make it more "custom", with Ritchey carbon seat post, handlebar(wider) and stem. Also changed out crankset and shifters to XTR. So, I am pretty excited and good to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice work. It's a sweet bike, I can't wait to get it back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Bike was in Thursday but didn't have a chance to grab it til yesterday... They sent a brand new 2012 Edict Pro frame, pretty excited about that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    [QUOTE=bogman2121;8650316]Bike was in Thursday but didn't have a chance to grab it til yesterday... They sent a brand new 2012 Edict Pro frame, pretty excited about that.[/QUOTE

Great to hear, and awesome new color.
    2011 Felt Edict Pro/XTR/Ritchey

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Right, but it should not have taken going to the forum to get the situation sorted. So in this case you did not "jump the gun".

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Going to the forum only gave me an additional contact at Felt. There was plenty going on behind the scenes and the communication to my LBS could've been better but ultimately coming here had no bearing on the outcome.

It was suspected at the start that I would get a new frame and what slowed everything down was the fact that they had none left in CA so had to try to find a 2011 frame but ended up getting me a 2012 frame but this process wasn't communicated to myself or the LBS until after the fact.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just wanted to give an update on the bike. I'm now in Colorado and have taken it out on some more aggressive rides than what was possible in Ohio and the bike is holding up as it should. I've only fallen off once when I could not get out of my clips but no damage was done to the bike.

TL DR - Still love it... get one.