mtbr member
    May 2004

Felt Edict Pro Advice

Local Bike shop has sale on Edict Pro's. Spec's are impressive. Was looking at 29'ers like Scalpel/Anthem/Epic. The Edict Pro is 26 inch. Can anyone tell me how it rides, how it handles on downhill single track? I race a little, but mostly want trail/cross country bike for SoCal riding.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I recently built up a 2011 Edict LTD (I added my build in the roll call thread). I use it for XC riding and racing on the east coast. I think for the money these are selling for right now (check ebay) they are a steal. I was originally looking at the same bikes as you but ended up getting the Felt frame on ebay and building it up into a very lightweight race bike for half the cost of a new 29er of similar spec. Out of the bikes youre looking at the only one I've rode on actual trails is the Epic 29er. I didn't like the feel of the brain, but that could be personal preference. My last bike was a 26" Titus Racer-X.

The 26" Felt Edict has almost the same geometry as my racer-x so it was a very easy move for me. It is a very quick handling bike that can be tossed around easily. The Edict is much lighter, stiffer, and faster than the Titus. The rear suspension is also more race oriented, ie less plush, but ideal for cross country racing. The Titus's plusher rear end felt like it had more travel even though they were both specd at 100mm. The Edict has very little pedal bob and I ride with the shock fully open unless Im on the road or a very long smooth climb.

Compared to the Epic 29er, the Felt feels lighter and more maneuverable. This is perfect for tight twisty and technical east coast trails, maybe not as much of an advantage out west. The larger wheels probably make the other bikes better for all around trail riding and the bigger wheels do feel like they carry more momentum. I run my Edict with a 110mm fork (120mm SID with 10mm reducer added) to increase its ability to push through the rocks (the SID setup like this is no taller than the 100mm REBA I had on my Titus). During cross country races, I am consistently one of the fastest riders on the downhill's. I think this is has more to do with rider skill than the bike, but it does show that the Edict is not going to hold you back in that regard. And it is definitely not going to hold you back on the climbs either. Like many of the online reviews Id say it is a perfect cross country race bike. You certainly wont be able to blame the bike if you are not winning! But if you are looking for a dual use bike for racing and trail riding, I suspect the 29inch FS Race bikes may be more versatile.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the review. I think you are right abou the 26 vs. 29 wheel issue. The fact that some 92 people reviewed the message and you are the only response tells me something. Sounds like a great bike, but here in SoCal, most new race bikes are 29ers. Probably why the Edict Pro's are on sale for 50% off.