Thread: Felt compulsion

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Felt compulsion

Got an 09 Felt Compulsion 3 several months ago and so far love it. Very plush and I love the Equilink. Only thing that bothered me is that it just felt a little heavy. Website says about 32 lbs without pedals. Did some research and the tire that comes on it (Felt's devox brand) weighs 910g! Anyways, with 4 lbs of tire, I figured I could cheaply lighten the bike considerably. I changed out the tires for some mythos and made a couple other small changes (carbon bar, lighter sear, xt derailleur, and ditched some "unnecessary stuff") and now feels much more "snappy". Anyways, not to sound too much like a weight weeny but it is now less than 30 lbs with pedals (egg beaters). For a bike with 6" of travel, I thought this was pretty respectable. I know someone was asking earlier about lightening up these bikes and thought this might help a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I just picked up an 2009 Compulsion 1. I absolutely love it. Very snappy handling, climbs like a goat and weighs in the 29 lb range w/ tubeless tires and XT pedals. Got it for just about 1/2 off and could not be any happier. The Talas and RP23 combine for an awesome ride. My bike came equipped with the Devox AM's that are tubeless ready at 745Grams... not sure if this is considered heavy for a tubeless ready tire ?

Either way, I'm very impressed with the Felt brand. Within a month of my purchase I got one buddy into a VIrtue 2 and another into a Redemption 3. All great bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    me too got 09 compulsion 3, for $1350 brandnew, i think it was a good deal. its 33.5 lbs with gravity dropper seatpost, and a chainguide with bashguard. my tires are devox AM 745 gr. love it so far.
    on the pic, no GD seatpost yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Felt compulsion-img_3268_resize.jpg  

Moose Member
    I'm looking at getting a compulsion, and have a question or two:

1. How strong is it? Any real flexing?

2. What's the biggest drop/jump you've hit on your compulsion?

If I get it I'll be using it as a very agressive all mountain bike. Either way compulsions look sick....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewN209
    I just picked up an 2009 Compulsion 1. I absolutely love it. Very snappy handling, climbs like a goat and weighs in the 29 lb range w/ tubeless tires and XT pedals. Got it for just about 1/2 off and could not be any happier. The Talas and RP23 combine for an awesome ride. My bike came equipped with the Devox AM's that are tubeless ready at 745Grams... not sure if this is considered heavy for a tubeless ready tire ?

Either way, I'm very impressed with the Felt brand. Within a month of my purchase I got one buddy into a VIrtue 2 and another into a Redemption 3. All great bikes.
    Talas 32 or 36? can you post your bike? im planning to make it an aggressive all mountain and i want some sample or idea for the setup.

Planning to change:
    rear shocks FOX DHX 5 air
    fork Talas 36 160mm
    remote seatpost

i need some suggestion...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I got that bike and upgraded ,this is fantastic bike can do everything
    http://img823.imageshack.us/i/pc300215.jpg/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6034434/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit1

i think this is a redemption not a compulsion...

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonmarvs
    i think this is a redemption not a compulsion...
    Agreed.

If you want a Felt for aggressive AM, why not get a Redemption which is designed for aggressive AM instead of a Compulsion which is meant for AM?

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svmike
    Agreed.

If you want a Felt for aggressive AM, why not get a Redemption which is designed for aggressive AM instead of a Compulsion which is meant for AM?

I have the ability to get a compulsion frame for really cheap... im riding a haro porer right now, and it has like 4.5" travel... running the shock i would, the compulsion would have 5.5 or 5.25 or something. the compulsion could also take a larger fork (currenly have a 4" travel fork, compared to the 5.5"-6" travel fork the compulsion could take...)

I already have a DH/Extreeme Freeride bike, i just want a short travel slopestyle bike to hit some jumps on...

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    I have the ability to get a compulsion frame for really cheap... im riding a haro porer right now, and it has like 4.5" travel... running the shock i would, the compulsion would have 5.5 or 5.25 or something. the compulsion could also take a larger fork (currenly have a 4" travel fork, compared to the 5.5"-6" travel fork the compulsion could take...)

I already have a DH/Extreeme Freeride bike, i just want a short travel slopestyle bike to hit some jumps on...
    I was replying in regard to spoonmarvs post, however, after re-reading his post it sounds like he already has a Compulsion and wants to modify it.

As for your situation, Moosey, you already have a short travel slopestyle bike...the Porter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you get a Compulsion for a SS bike get a size smaller than you normally would. I have a 09 compulsion 3 in 17.5, I'm 5' 7" and love it for AM but its a little long and unwieldy in the air compared to something like the Jamis Parker.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltDH
    If you get a Compulsion for a SS bike get a size smaller than you normally would. I have a 09 compulsion 3 in 17.5, I'm 5' 7" and love it for AM but its a little long and unwieldy in the air compared to something like the Jamis Parker.
    I'm 6' so I'd get a med(17.5) and throw a short shock on there to slacken It up. I have a porter right now, but coming from DH I feel like a slightly bigger bike with a less DJ oriented geo set may help me transition to a full SS bike later... I dunno though. I'll try to talk to zink a little more before I buy his bike...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just got a 09 Felt Compulsion 4 last year and so far I love the bike! I use this bike for more AM and Tahoe / Alpine style riding. Did a couple of Super D on it last year and could not be happier with the way the bike took some of the abuse Iíve thrown at it.

I'm thinking of doing some 8/12/24 hour races on it and was wondering if the 150mm travel is too much or if I should just make some light weight upgrades like Norcalallmountain has done. Iím not trying to win any of the races but would like to do the best I can, and at 6'2 / 220lb Iím not going to win any king of the mountains. I would like to hear what others have done to lighten the bike up a bit and/or have done any longer endurance rides (8-24hr) on the Compulsion and how they liked it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I dropped a couple grams by removing my granny ring. doesn't improve performance I just never use it even on steeeeeeeep climbs. That, and I bet one of my buddies I could ride the season without it.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just bought a Compulsion 2, upgraded with formula oro k24 brakes, Fox 36 van rc2 fork, new wheels etc. Feels nice so far!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought compulsion 2 SE frame. Have just checked over the bearings and cleaned and regreased and torqued everything as per manual and fitted 2 new 'equilink' bolts as I'd managed to snap one prior to me having a torque wrench.

Moose Member
    Im up to a 18 foot roadgap (its small, like 4 feet of elevation change and 18 foot gap) and a 7' drop. Im going to try a 10' drop and a 15' stepdown (15' gap with 7' elevation loss) soon! Love my compulsion!

And i'm going to upgrade to a 140mm fork soon. 100mm makes the front a tad to low for my taste.