Thread: Which Felt?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Which Felt?

I'm just getting back into the sport after 10 years away from riding. I'm really excited about getting back in the saddle. Although, I am on a 'mildly' tight budget. I'm looking to spend between 300 and 450.

The LBS has two Felt bikes that look and ride well. I'm having a hard time deciding which to purchase.

There is the Q220, which looks to be their entry level bike, and the Q520, which is only 50 more expensive, and most likely has the better component system. I am looking for advice regarding the pros and cons of each model. I've ridden the 220 in the shop, and it is a nice ride. Considering that all the Felts use the same frame set, I would assume (and will test) that the 520 components are slightly better. The front suspension has more travel length and the rear gogwheel is smaller, I think 24 gear (8 speed on the back) instead of 21 gear (7 speed on the back).

So, I'm relying on guys who know a little more about felt brand bikes than I do. Thanks a lot for any reply.

The Crow
    Always spend as much as you can. Felt is a very good choice of brand as their bikes are comfortable and very well made.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well, I went for this one:

The Felt Q220. I was leaning towards the 520 - which has the same component set as the 220, except it has an 8 speed cog in the rear, instead of 7 speed. But, I found a great deal on the same cog and shifters and bought them separate, and installed the 8 speed myself! All the Felt Q-series have the same frame, so it just didn't seem to be worth the extra 50 ($100).

So happy with it. It is a nice ride, and has been great to get it out again. I put a pair of semi-slicks on it for my commute to work (Continental Double Fighter II's) and it is great. Deals well with the cow paths I hit on my way, and fast/smooth on the street.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice purchase! I love the black. I recently purchased the Q520 in matte blue. I like your black better, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Felt Q520

Hi, totally new to this so be gentle guys!!
    I am looking to purchase my first decent bike this week (have a budget though!) I have looked at many within my price range and the Felt Q520 in matte black seems to be great value for money, Ive not heard one bad comment on it yet! (for the money of course). I will be mainly doing cross country and was told this bike would be great for that, however I am still a little unsure if I needed a full suspension bike for this???? Also, size of frame... im 6ft, will the 19 and half inch frame be to big? the next frame down is 17 and half inch (looks like a childs bike though!!) Any feed back would be great, thanx.