mtbr member
    Mar 2007

equilink vs dw-link

Hello all. This is something probably nobody knows the answer to, but I thought I would bring it up for discussion anyway. I've ridden/demoed 3 dw-link bikes over the past year,
    the last being the Firebird. In every case, I've felt some kind of knee pain after the ride.
    On the firebird, I didn't notice any pedal feedback, though. I was overall fairly impressed with the ride. I did notice on a couple of occasions when lifting the front end over a rock and pedaling out of the saddle a couple of minor instances of knee pain in my non-injured knee. On my last ride I went over the same terrain on my horst link bike and couldn't
    duplicate this no matter how many times I tried. I can only conclude at this point that with the dw-link somehow some of the antisquat force of the chain gets transmitted to your your knee, even though as I said, I wasn't noticing any feedback at the pedals.

Now to my question:
    Does anybody know if the equilink itself somehow separates the antisquat from the chain?
    In other words, how much would an equilink be using chain tension to affect antisquat ?
    I'm guessing the equilink probably separates this, but I would be skeptical that's its 100 %.
    I'm obviously not very adept at understanding complex suspension kinematics and all,
    but I think I know a little about what's going on with a suspension when i ride a bike,
    by how it feels.
    Anyway, thanks for any input

hipneck
    Jan 2004

I would bet its....

something more simple than that, like your positioning on the bike or different geometries that your body isnt accustomed to, but I honestly couldnt say for sure. Ask this question over on the Ibis forum. There are several guys over there that are very knowledgeable on suspension designs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zocalo
    Hello all. This is something probably nobody knows the answer to, but I thought I would bring it up for discussion anyway. I've ridden/demoed 3 dw-link bikes over the past year,
    the last being the Firebird. In every case, I've felt some kind of knee pain after the ride.
    On the firebird, I didn't notice any pedal feedback, though. I was overall fairly impressed with the ride. I did notice on a couple of occasions when lifting the front end over a rock and pedaling out of the saddle a couple of minor instances of knee pain in my non-injured knee. On my last ride I went over the same terrain on my horst link bike and couldn't
    duplicate this no matter how many times I tried. I can only conclude at this point that with the dw-link somehow some of the antisquat force of the chain gets transmitted to your your knee, even though as I said, I wasn't noticing any feedback at the pedals.

Now to my question:
    Does anybody know if the equilink itself somehow separates the antisquat from the chain?
    In other words, how much would an equilink be using chain tension to affect antisquat ?
    I'm guessing the equilink probably separates this, but I would be skeptical that's its 100 %.
    I'm obviously not very adept at understanding complex suspension kinematics and all,
    but I think I know a little about what's going on with a suspension when i ride a bike,
    by how it feels.
    Anyway, thanks for any input
    Read the link labeled " Equilink revealed" or something like that. It is somewhere near the bottom of the first page. There are several linkage engineer big wigs in there arguing about different designs. I will warn you though, it starts to read like a NASA project.
    Last edited by pvsd4090; 05-01-2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: I misqoted a thread title