mtbr member

Cycling to work and to school....never felt soo good

i work at a bike shop and thats exactly 6.14 miles from my house...in a day, i can get about 15 miles to work and to home. Then on school days, its the same. If its raining, or snowing (which never happens here in georgia), i don't ride. Riding to places that you NEED to get to without a CAR never felt soo good. I'v been a bike all my life but I never got to the point where I would ride everywhere with my bike.

Any cyclists out there sick of driving their cars?

I wish more people would realize the power of the bicycle...

jrm
    mtbr member

I'm sick of the BUS..

and i can get home faster riding then either driving or taking the bus...
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I envy you.

Congratulations on pulling off what I have been wishing for years.

My commute to work is 80 miles round trip. I thought about biking the 40 miles to work on a Sunday afternoon, sleeping in my office all week, then biking back home Friday night. The boss was less than enthusiastic about my idea.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    well here in central PA it usually snows in the winter, and we did finally get a little bit the past day or so, just meant I had to take the mtn bike with studs. Ya know its getting into the middle of winter when you look at the weather in the morning to figure out what to wear for the commute and you think, ahh, 28 degrees F, not bad at all.

mtbr member
    nice work. My work is 1.72 miles as the bike computer says. I bike to and from twice a day when I'm in town working, putting a total of about 7 miles on daily when I don't run any extra errands. I use a road bike most of the time, but the mountain bike makes the trip when there is snow on the roads. I only skip days that are rainy or if there are slushy wet roads. Like nmba guy says, the weather was above 30F thismorning so I thought "not bad, I won't wear long johns today."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    6.5 mile (each way) commute to work. Takes me between 25-30 minutes each way.
    I can drive to the office in about 10 minutes in the morning, but due to traffic, it takes 25+ to get home.
    So I trade 35 minutes in the car for about 55 minutes on the bike.

No traffic + exercise + fresh air + less gas consumption= No brainer.

However, this is my first full winter commuting, and I'm not quite comfortable in icy conditions to bike, so I now haven't biked to work since last Thursday. Getting antsy!

all muddy
    I think people get so used to the comfort and speed in their car, that they overlook riding a bicycle. Its a lifestyle change decision.

But there are so many factors in deciding to ride a bike. Some people can't get to work on those nice neighborhood homes. It would be great to see cities designed around different transportation.

Dude...
    I'm a pretty strict bike commuter as well, I've done the winter commute thing in MT and now CT. The best part is not having to buy gas.. And the physical benefits too of course..

Right Coast
    My commute is 5 miles door to door. On my route there are very few sections of sidewalk so if it snows it's no go for me. It's not that I doubt my skills as a rider and a commuter, it's the fact that I don't trust other people driving in bad conditions.
    "Majority rule don't work in mental institutions"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Me too, but some days:

Last week, I rode into a van door that was opened suddenly without them looking. I guess I braked quickly enough to reduce the impact. I was very lucky to be only mildly bruised, and my bike seems ok (some new scratches on one bar-end).

But, that got me thinking "how bad it could have been" (there was lots of traffic) I'm pretty wary of parked vehicles right now...

Cheezy Rider
    I have a 2 mile commute through mostly flat and residential streets. Rains a lot, but as long as you're geared up it's no big deal. I can go a couple weeks without driving. Took years, but I finally got my wife commuting too.

mtbr member
    its sooo cool when cycling to work in style when the weather isn't that bad...alot of people will look at you and think you are crazy, cool, or just a god. Most will be jealous or envy me cause i ride without gas and i fly like crazy on my bike. Ride Always, Live Forever!!

mtbr member
    i'v been thinking about getting a track bike cause thats style right there...especially those fuji track bikes my store carries...mmm those are hot....hotter than paris hilton saying 'i'm so hot' haha

jrm
    mtbr member

Well we all make choices....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Element50
    Congratulations on pulling off what I have been wishing for years.

My commute to work is 80 miles round trip. I thought about biking the 40 miles to work on a Sunday afternoon, sleeping in my office all week, then biking back home Friday night. The boss was less than enthusiastic about my idea.
    and have to live by um..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm only three and a half miles from work and I can't bring myself to bike it. First reason is that we don't have any showers so all the other people who work around me would have to put up with me being sweaty and stinky. Second is that my time is extremely limited. I'd have to leave another 10-15minutes early each day and thats cutting it close on my schedule (work fulltime and go to school fulltime). Thirdly, the roads have enough traffic at a high enough speed that it just wouldn't be enjoyable and I'd be constantly worrying about my life. Lastly, I actually enjoy driving...

life is a barrel o'fun
    First reason is that we don't have any showers so all the other people who work around me would have to put up with me being sweaty and stinky.

Shower as usual or before bed, then bring moist towelettes for a wipe-down in the bathroom. Allow 10 min. in temperatures 50 degrees and below; 15 min for 60 degree range, 20 min for 70+ (this is what works for me.)

Second is that my time is extremely limited. I'd have to leave another 10-15minutes early each day and thats cutting it close on my schedule (work fulltime and go to school fulltime).

Do it just once/week, then you'll start to make time for it once you establish a craving! ;-)

Thirdly, the roads have enough traffic at a high enough speed that it just wouldn't be enjoyable and I'd be constantly worrying about my life.

Yeah, that's a deterrent, but either plot a different route or give it a try first.

Lastly, I actually enjoy driving... But how much driving do you get to do for 7 miles total?? 7 miles r/t x 5x/week = 35 miles/week x 4 = 140 miles/month on the bike.

Don't get me wrong- I'm the queen of excuses, but it's a good exercise: Make excuses to DO something rather than find excuses NOT to do it. Because if this were, say, Fear Factor, and you had to ride your bike for $40k, suddenly it would seem easy, wouldn't it?

I'm also typing this for myself: Another new commute, only 5 miles each way, but it's a bad area, people on bikes have been attacked recently, and it's high-traffic all the way (b/w the city, past the airport and Shea Stadium.)
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

SuperInstigator
    I found a route to school, about 15 miles, and its all on back roads! But there is still traffic of the morning rush... ! If I rode on the boring main roads with 2 inch shoulders or none at all, it would be about 8-10 miles. But I take the bus because I can't be bothered to get up at 3:30 in the morning, but I get up at 6 every morning, even weekends, anyway.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Not me. I love driving as much as I love MTBing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    Not me. I love driving as much as I love MTBing.

This is mostly cycling to work and to school...not mtb. If it was mtb, it would take forever and would suck. Taking your hardtail freeride on the sidewalk on a not so hilly terrain (6.14 miles) to school isn't so bad but what would you rather be doing, cycling like a freight train to work and to school or huffin' and puffin' with your mt bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If I had a way to get to the uni without encountering heavy traffic, I would probably ride my bike more often than drive, at least when it's nice out. But riding through heavy traffic is one of my least favorite things in the world, both because it sucks and because it's dangerous.

Silence! I kill you!
    I now ride to work 3-5 times a week, and I'm loving it. My commute is about 5.75 miles one way, and relatively safe. On the way home I usually go up & down a hill a few times to get some climbing in. Its not a very tall hill, only about 200ft each climb, but its a pretty steep 200ft to the top.

Of course, I've almost been hit a few times, mostly by drivers being stupid.

I also make sure I get to work about 10 mins early to give myself time to cool down, and a little insurance incase I get a flat or something
    My Website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

My Recent Shoots
    The Blog

mtbr member
    I love riding my bike to work (21 miles each way) but that 21 mile ride is hard to face first thing in the morning. I got my road bike late in the summer so I plan to ride it more consistently this year, and just tough it out. I always love the ride home, it's just that early morning action
    :wq

mtbr member
    I can beat the bus home from school 9 times out of 10. Its a 3 mile trip.