mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Considering a Felt for my first real MB.

I'm finally looking to upgrade out of my box-store FS mountain bike to keep up with a few friends who have started riding regularly. Since I'm not yet sure how much I will be riding I don't want to drop 1K+ on a bike just yet. I have been browsing the local bike shops and narrowing down my options on HT mountain bikes in the ~$600 range. I was looking mainly at a Hardrock and a Revel 0. But recently I have seen some good things about the Felt Q series. So I'm wondering would a Q520 or 620 be a good bike to start with? How does the frame hold up and how is the warranty? Will I be able to upgrade it with new components (fork, brakes, shifters, etc.) if I start riding a bunch? Also if anyone has a bike in this series how comfortable is the geometry?

Certifiably Crazy
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    You may want to consider the Nine Flow as well. This is Felt's entry level 29er equipped with double wall rims for added strength. The components are lower end and a bit heavier, but the 29er geometry will help you keep up with your buddies on the trail. The frame is the same as some of their higher end 29ers so it's worthy of component upgrades in the future. I personally ride the Nine Sport and truly love it.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Heh, I considered a 29er, but the standover height is a problem. I have short legs and can barely get a comfortable 26in in the medium size (one of the reasons I am considering the felt is the lower standover for the mediums). I'm pretty sure I would be on my toes on a 29in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I got myself a Q520 as my re-entry into mountain biking, It's a beautiful bike. In hindsight I would have loved to have started with Q620.
    Why the 620?
    - It's 9 speed versus the Q520's 8
    - Hydraulic disc's versus mechanical.

I've been researching upgrading the brakes on the Q520 to hydraulic, but am struggling to find replacement hydraulic shifters and brake levers that work comfortably with the 8 speed. So I think the Q620 will give you more options to easily upgrade components.

That being said, the Q520 is a great bike that rides beautifully, solid frame and it looks great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think that a 29er may still be in the works if you are comfortable with the reach. The 17.5 inch Nine Trail has a S.O. height of 770mm which is very comparable to the Q620 in 19.5. I think if you look at your inseam and sit on both of them, you may end up sizing down on the 29er, but it might have the reach you are looking for.