mtbr member
    May 2013

Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip

How do I tell if my rear suspension travel chip is in the 160 mm or 150 mm travel position? The pics show how it is sitting right now. I think its 160 mm but want to be sure.Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-img_4428.jpgCompulsion LT50 Travel Chip-img_4431.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maw77712 View Post
    How do I tell if my rear suspension travel chip is in the 160 mm or 150 mm travel position? The pics show how it is sitting right now. I think its 160 mm but want to be sure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4428.jpg 
Views:	898 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	809953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4431.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	809952
    I believe that is the 150mm setting. I can't prove it since I haven't found any documentation from Felt of the settings, but old school physics leads me to this conclusion.

Consider the image with one with a shorter input lever, and one with a longer lever:
    http://image.hotrod.com/f/techarticl...ration.PNG.jpg

It's a little backward, but consider the input in the image as the shock mount, and the output the rear axle. The longer lever requires more input for the same amount of output as the shorter input lever. BUT, the bike's "input" lever is limited by the stroke of the shock, 2" or whatever. So, 2" of stroke on the shorter input lever will produce more output than 2" of stroke on the longer input lever.

Therefore, the longer shock mount (like yours in the photo) should produce less rear wheel travel, ie. 150mm.

If this makes sense, someone please back me up. If I'm wrong, please don't flame me and just provide more accurate info.

I just bought a used 2013 LT1 and have been running it in the same setting as you and assumed it was 160mm until I saw your question and wanted to prove it to myself. 150mm seems fine and it has slacker/lower geometry to boot!

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!!! I think your right!! I switched it back and forth and measured it a couple times and it seems to have more travel when I turn he travel chip opposite of how thee pictures show it. I just gained 10mm of travel. That's huge!! hahaha. thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome, better late response than never. Although, depending on how steep your trails descend, the 150mm/slack setup may be better than an extra 10mm and steeper angles.

I'm going to experiment both ways and see if I can even notice any difference. I personally prefer steep descents around here so maybe 160mm will feel a little sketchier...we'll see.

Keep us posted on which setting you like best and why.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    either way. I love this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ave

nice way of thinking @banzonam the mistake is in your placement of in and out: in = seatstay and longer, left, end of rocker, out = shock mount and shorter, right, end of rocker.
    your pic, maw77712, shows the 160mm position; you can prove it here by comparing pic and frame description text and i wasn't sure about this setting, too... so i wrote to felt and asked and got the answer, that the order of the numbers "150/160", printed on the rocker, represents the position of the travel chip and therefore the amount of travel. btw, the 150mm setting has the slacker head angle which may be more favored by some knights because of better dh handling.

no offense, but only correcting it for future reference and another seeking soul

p.s.: i can attach the email, but it is in german language; so btw pls excuse my "form of grammar"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This is directly from felt
    Michael- The longer travel mode on your Compulsion will be exactly how you said it, with the flip chip and shock bolt lined up towards the rear of the bike, giving you 160mm of travel.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The sticker with the numbers on the other side is opposite. And after riding and having it in 160 mm vs 150 mm I can tell you that the hole towards the rear is 160 and forward is 150

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i like it
    you had a look at the felt page? and sure the numbers are other way round, but the order of the numbers is what counts.
    the problem with this is that absolutely no docs are available about this setting. and it looks like even felt doesn't know it for sure

so, what now? physics are saying this and that, depending on in/out choosing. but now, i'm not sure anymore. imho it's as the answer from german felt support was. especially when having a look at the link provided.
    now i hate it

edith says: this is directly from felt, too, but in german language, leaving it original:
    Guten Morgen xxxxx,

So, wie es auf der Wippe aufgedruckt ist die Einstellung. D.h. das Loch des TravelChip’s nach hinten Richtung Sattelroht = 150mm und nach vorne = 160mm.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

FELT Bicycles

--
    Felt GmbH - Industriestr. 39 - Phone: ++49-4405-92800 - 26188 Edewecht - Germany

Amtsgericht Oldenburg - HRB 121048
    GF: Michael Müllmann, William K. Duehring, Marc Schmiedtke

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm with maw77712.
    The 150/160 label is contradictory depending if you're reading the drive or non-drive side.
    Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_134624.jpg

Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_134634.jpg

The math checks out that shorter input lever arms yield greater output.

Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_143506.jpg

I would throw the challenge flag at the Felt guys in Germany. :P

Well, technically both positions are both 150 & 160 according to Felt Germany, depending on which side you look at, haha.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ok, now again i like it. hmm, i think i'll contact felt on fb and ask about their... hmm, 'inconsistencies'...? really looks like you both and some other are true. but there are other opinions of course. and what th is the lt50 infopage from felt trying to tell us, then??
    edit: or should one just link this to them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    seadersn

Maybe respond to that email you got and ask which side of the bike they're looking at when reading the "150/160", and show them our photos!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm sticking with 160 mm in the rear. 150 mm forward. I'm pretty sure that's it. Felt makes great bikes. Customer Service is lacking.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I got my response from felt on Facebook. FYI

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    k, sent them another fb message then, link is inside. felt germany = tomorrow

gn8 for now 00:19 here...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is that the LT1 in your pics. I tried a cane creek dB air on my LT50. It would not fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by maw77712 View Post
    Is that the LT1 in your pics. I tried a cane creek dB air on my LT50. It would not fit.
    Yeah, it's an LT1 w/ CC DBAir (non-CS). It will only mount in 1 direction, with the piggyback towards the bottom of the frame. It won't fit if the piggyback is towards the linkage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    two things before sleeping
    it's "150/160" on both sides, not "150/160" and "160/150" and the input lever isn't input, but output in my opinion.
    the longer side connected with the rear stays is the acting lever and generates input. output lever forces go into the damper. input doesn't get shorter but output gets longer, depending on chip setting.
    this converts the situation or not?

or am i completely wrong and should go to bed

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You should go to sleep. Haha. I can tell your for a fact that it climbs easier and more efficiently with the chip forward and in what I think is 150 mm travel. When you move it to the rear .. 160 mm more travel. In my opinion more down hill than trail. The bike does not climb as efficient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    2013 Felt Compulsion LT 1 - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bikes - Vital MTB

"By putting the bike in the shorter 150mm travel position, it drops the bottom bracket by about 10mm and slackens the head angle from 67.5 to 66.75-degrees. This is a quick change we'd highly recommend, simply because it gives the bike a more capable feel, especially on the steeps. While it's unfortunate that a travel reduction occurs in this mode, in our eyes it's well worth the 10mm lost."

The bike should technically climb better/descend worse in 160mm mode based purely on head angle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by seadersn View Post
    two things before sleeping : D
    it's "150/160" on both sides, not "150/160" and "160/150" and the input lever isn't input, but output in my opinion.
    the longer side connected with the rear stays is the acting lever and generates input. output lever forces go into the damper. input doesn't get shorter but output gets longer, depending on chip setting.
    this converts the situation or not?

or am i completely wrong and should go to bed
    Calling one side Input Vs output doesn't matter, the math is all the same. It's just ratios comparing levers and displacement.

Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_162824.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ... And one more example to tie it all together:

Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_165059-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Compulsion LT50 Travel Chip-20140918_164447.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    we'll see; i'm open for everything, hopefully they'll tell us... thx for explaining so far
    when you look at the pics on vital mtb, knowing that they prefer 150mm setting due to better geo, it's mounted in the forward position. so more and more tells that forward position is the 150mm setup. let's see

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    k, done felt usa on facebook and felt germany via email is contacted.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    felt didn't answer til now, so i decided to measure it myself. left the air out of the damper, fully compressed it and measured the heigth of the saddle in each possible config. result:

felt germany unfortunately gave me the wrong information in forward mounted position the saddle is higher than in rear mounted position.

that's clear now...! another method would be to shoot two pics, one with 150 and one with 160 setting, apply some transparency to one of the pics, put one pic over the other and compare the geometry. but for this.... i'm too lazy

have to say sry, folks thx for your mathematic exploration and your explanations at all.