Moose Member

To compulse, or not to compulse?

So i'm looking into a 2009 felt compulsion 1. i got a sick deal on one with local pick up so its all good there. I only have one issue..

This will be used and abused a lot. i will use it as an AM and FR bike. i'm looking for an All mountain bike that can get me into Slopestyle, and seeing that zink rode this bike, i should have no problems right?

I will run a 1/4 inch shorter rear shock, which should slacken out the head angle and lower the bottom bracket a little. I'll run a short stem and the such... The real question is, Is this a good idea?

I have done hours of research. zink rode one compulsion frame his 09 season. After viewing multiple videos i saw him take sonme hard falls, and do some massive drops (to sloped) and the bike never broke. I have spoken with zink a little about it and he said "you will break something else on the bike before you break the frame..."

The frame i am looking at is brand new, and the deal is unbeatable. I will ride trails like livewire at N*, and hit the jump park. I will also pedal the bike around the 'hood a little bit and maybe ride a TINY amount of Xc like the Flume trail.

Yes or No as the compulsion on a jump bike?

this is the same basic build that i will have...

To compulse, or not to compulse?-compulsion.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i have 2009 compulsion 3, and change the stem to 50mm and all the component is stock...

what size of the rear shock did you put? the original setup is 150mm.

i want it too look more aggressive setup...

Moose Member
    That's a picture of zinks compulsion, not mine. I discussed his build with him, because if I get a compulsion I want an agressive build. He said he runs a 1/4 in shorter shock, so it will be about a 7.5x2.5 or 7.5x2.0 shock (just guessing...) I'll ask zink what size shock it is exactly. He also has either a pike or lyric set at 150mm I think.

How hard have you pushed your compulsion spoon? If I get it I'll do dirt jumps and some light downhill. I just want a bike that won't break...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    That's a picture of zinks compulsion, not mine. I discussed his build with him, because if I get a compulsion I want an agressive build. He said he runs a 1/4 in shorter shock, so it will be about a 7.5x2.5 or 7.5x2.0 shock (just guessing...) I'll ask zink what size shock it is exactly. He also has either a pike or lyric set at 150mm I think.

How hard have you pushed your compulsion spoon? If I get it I'll do dirt jumps and some light downhill. I just want a bike that won't break...
    for now, I've started to change the stem, from 90mm to 50mm, then i will change the PIKE fork from 140mm to FOX Talas 160mm...

i think if you intend to use it for a light Downhill, there is no doubt about it...but for dirt jumps...hmmm, maybe...

i will post my bike after the upgrade...

Moose Member
    Alright can't wait to see if bike. If you get the shorter shock it should help the head angle and bb a little.

What's the biggest drop and the biggest jump you have hit on your compulsion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    Alright can't wait to see if bike. If you get the shorter shock it should help the head angle and bb a little.

What's the biggest drop and the biggest jump you have hit on your compulsion?
    as for now, i use it for AM and light downhill...no good trail for FR or DJ here in United Arab Emirates,only for those who want to play XC...

maybe by next year, i can post my upgraded rig...