mtbr member

cannondale vs felt question (and fisher too)

someone asked a similar question a while back but didnt get any responses. thought i would change the title instead of just bumping.

i want to get a cannondale caffeine f29, but the felt nine elite has also caught my eye.

from what i can tell,

cdale = better fork (i prefer the lefty),

felt = better components,

cost is about the same,

and frames...not sure. anyone? if im not mistaken, i think these are the first 29ers for both manufacturers, so that might be a difficult question.

also, anybody have any thoughts on the gary fisher utopia or kaitai for an entry level 29er? its for somebody else--a beginner, size small. these bikes are supposed to be hybrids but the frames are fisher 29er frames and can fit decent size knobbies. the bike would primarily be for commuting with a possible trail now and then; it would probably see more pavement then dirt, so i thought it might be better than a serious 26er mtb.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by snowdenn; 03-19-2007 at 08:12 PM.

wrench
    I can not speak for the C-dale or felt (both look nice), but as for Fishers, the Utopia is a nice bike, but more a hybrid than mtb. I might suggest the Cobia if for entry level as it is more dirt oriented, but would be just fine on pavement as well. You can always put skinner/cross tyres on for commuting/pavement, but with the Cobia's fork, you can run fat tyres no problem- Utopia you are pretty much stuck with skinny tyre front. Cobia's and Utopia are close in price and you get a better frame with the Cobia (better tubing) and components.
    Hope this helps.

Matto