mtbr member

Broken Compulsion

Anyone seen this?

Clyde

Hot Pursuit
    Look like a bad weld from using the wrong filler rod. That is straight up warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wrong filler rod??? That's kind of an off the cuff remark. Is there a piece of the extruded or machined part broke off in the lower tube? If not that sucks. That would make it basicaly just a butt weld and that's a very weak weld joint, especially when welding a thick part to a thin wall tube and in aluminum too boot. There is a Redemption with a simular break also on this forum and Felt stood behind it's product and made right with the owner. I'm not sure how long the waranty on the frames are or if they are to original owner only though. What year is this Compulsion? I have an 08 Compulsion 2 and it doesn't have this feature but my 08 Redemption does.

Hot Pursuit
    Off the cuff remark? I didn't say it to be spiteful towards Felt. Look at where it broke. Right in the middle of the welds. Usually that is a indication of using the wrong filler rod, low heat (poor penetration), too high of heat with the wrong filler rods, or bad heat treating. I can't comment on Felt aluminum bike quality since I'm riding one of their full carbon lineup.

I heard nothing but good things about Felt and I'm willing to bet they will replace that frame no question ask.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm curious to see if the machined part has broken off inside the seat tube. If not that sucks, it's a butt connection. As a welder fabricator myself I still say it's most likley not incorrect filler rod. In a job shop maybe, as your weld different items all the time. But this is very less likely to happen in a production manufacturing facility where the weld stations are set up to do the same type of welds on the same types of materials day in and day out.

mtbr member
    Felt got a new frame back to
    the shop in 3 days. No questions.
    That's some awesome service!

Clyde

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome! From things I've read and poeple I've talked to it would appear Felt is very good at standing behind their products.

Certifiably Crazy
    Go Felt and their warranty! That's why I like them!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member

4 Day turnaround!

Clyde

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This identical break happened to me today... How has the new one held up?