mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Bent equilink bar.

Yesterday I went off a 4 to 5ft drop and landed fine but something didn't feel right in the back. I stopped and immediately saw the bent equilink bar. Has this happened to anyone else? I am hoping that I can get a new bar and back on the trails soon. I doesn't seem like it should have done that. My rear shock did not even bottom out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    WOW........... That sucks I just got a vitrue 3 about 2 months ago and love the bike it is awesome....... Don't know why that would happen if your rear shock didn't bottom out!!!!! Let me know if you come up with anything on why it happened.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That does suck. Love my Redemption. Hope it doesn't happen to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Let us know if Felt warranties it, or how much it costs to replace it.

I think it makes sense that it would bend like that on a drop that big. The bar connects the two pivots, so there must be a lot of stress acting on that bar to keep the two pivtos in sync with each other. As you made the drop, for that brief moment the bar was being pushed up from the bottom and the top pivot was acting as a stationary point, and the force was so great that it bent before the top pivot was able to move.

At least taht's how I see it!
    Wanted: Ritchey P-20,21,22,23 in Team colors, 18-inch, '92-99, Ritchey Logic fork (threadless); NEW Rock Shox Judy Decal Sets

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanus
    Let us know if Felt warranties it, or how much it costs to replace it.

I think it makes sense that it would bend like that on a drop that big. The bar connects the two pivots, so there must be a lot of stress acting on that bar to keep the two pivtos in sync with each other. As you made the drop, for that brief moment the bar was being pushed up from the bottom and the top pivot was acting as a stationary point, and the force was so great that it bent before the top pivot was able to move.

At least taht's how I see it!
    I got the bike used and that guy hooked me up with a new bar. Easy to replace and it has been fine since. I do avoid certain drops now because of my fear of the bike handling it. I still love it though!!! Some day I may bump up in travel but I WILL stay with Felt! Love the Equilink!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    WOW! That is odd! That Fox Shock didn't bottom out?! I don't know if a 4-5' drop can cause that but I don't think it would be a good idea to go riding again until you get that replaced.