Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 179

Thread: Ask FELT

  1. #1
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123

    Ask FELT

    Have a tech question regarding your Felt? Not sure if a certain part will be compatible? Just have a general question about your bike or Felt?

    Here's your chance to get answers from the source! Ask away!
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  2. #2
    bmh
    bmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    I have a question about warranty work on my Felts. I bought a Virtue 3 last October and a Nine Sport this past April. My local Felt dealer in Louisville (Cycler's Cafe) closed shop. So if I do have an issue who do I contact since most manufacturer's prefer you to go through your dealer?

    Also, I am thinking about upgrading the fork on the Nine Sport. I've been thinking of buying used so what length tube do I need to get?

  3. #3
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Warranties do need to be processed through a Felt dealer, but don't need to be processed through YOUR Felt dealer. Any authorized dealer, from the same country as the purchase was made, can process any Felt warranty.

    So, if you ever do have a warranty issue, simply take your bike, along with a copy of your receipt, to any authorized dealer to begin.

    Steerer length will vary depending on the model year and frame size. A good rule of thumb is to measure the length of the stock fork's steerer tube and make sure the one you purchase is at least that long.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  4. #4
    bmh
    bmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    Warranties do need to be processed through a Felt dealer, but don't need to be processed through YOUR Felt dealer. Any authorized dealer, from the same country as the purchase was made, can process any Felt warranty.

    So, if you ever do have a warranty issue, simply take your bike, along with a copy of your receipt, to any authorized dealer to begin.
    So Lexington, Kentucky or Cincinnati, Ohio...yay 89.4 miles.

  5. #5
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Yeah... not much I can do about that one. Sorry!

    Just to be clear, general service can be performed by any LBS. Warranty requests need to be processed through an authorized dealer.

    We are adding new dealers on a pretty continual basis, so keep an eye on our dealer locator.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  6. #6
    OZX
    OZX is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    I've downloaded the Virtue suspension manual but there's no explanation of swapping the shock mount top spacers.
    What are the pros and cons of moving the top mount forward and aft?

  7. #7
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Purchased a lrg Nine Sport a little over 4 weeks ago from my lbs in Phoenix and checked in with them at week 2, post-order date. They were anticipating delivery within two weeks from that time but haven't heard from them. Is Felt backlogged on the 2012 Nine Sport right now? What are the current lead times? Thanks.
    Last edited by torreyaz; 11-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.

  8. #8
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by OZX View Post
    I've downloaded the Virtue suspension manual but there's no explanation of swapping the shock mount top spacers.
    What are the pros and cons of moving the top mount forward and aft?
    What model year Virtue to you have?
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  9. #9
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Purchased a lrg Nine Sport a little over 4 weeks ago from my lbs in Phoenix and checked in with them at week 2, post-order date. They were anticipating delivery within two weeks from that time but haven't heard from them. Is Felt backlogged on the 2012 Nine Sport right now? What are the current lead times? Thanks.
    Please PM me the name of the shop you have been working with. I'll see what details I can find out for you.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  10. #10
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    Please PM me the name of the shop you have been working with. I'll see what details I can find out for you.
    Thank you. I pm'd you with the specifics.

  11. #11
    OZX
    OZX is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    What model year Virtue to you have?
    It's a 2011 Virtue Sport

  12. #12
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    Please PM me the name of the shop you have been working with. I'll see what details I can find out for you.
    No need to pursue this. It finally showed up. Thanks.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4

    Where to buy a Felt Mountain Bike in Northern Virginia?

    All the bike dealers in northern virginia advertise Felt Bicycles, but, only carry the road bikes, they'd rather I buy the mountain bikes that they are stocking, (Spec, Giant, Trek, etc.), looking for a 2012 Felt Nine Sport 19.5", Thanks, Charles Williams

  14. #14
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by nforkbike View Post
    All the bike dealers in northern virginia advertise Felt Bicycles, but, only carry the road bikes, they'd rather I buy the mountain bikes that they are stocking, (Spec, Giant, Trek, etc.), looking for a 2012 Felt Nine Sport 19.5", Thanks, Charles Williams
    All of our dealers manage their own inventory. In most cases, orders for 2012 bikes have been placed, but certain dealers may not have taken delivery yet. It is possible that the dealers you have spoken to did not bring in many of our MTBs or are simply sold out at this time (it is a lighter time of the season)

    Any dealer can place a special order for the bike of your choice, so feel free to ask about that at your LBS.

    For your convenience, here is a link to the dealers in your area. There's quite a few!

    N Virginia Dealers
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  15. #15
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Felt needs a head badge. The Felt Wings are a great logo and I feel they should be incorporated, at least, into their MTBs as a head badge.

  16. #16
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Felt needs a head badge. The Felt Wings are a great logo and I feel they should be incorporated, at least, into their MTBs as a head badge.
    That's a great suggestion! I'll be sure to pass it on to our Creative Dept.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  17. #17
    OZX
    OZX is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by OZX View Post
    I've downloaded the Virtue suspension manual but there's no explanation of swapping the shock mount top spacers.
    What are the pros and cons of moving the top mount forward and aft?
    I've continued to search for an answer to this with no luck.
    Any links to a site / review / forum that discusses this feature?

  18. #18
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by OZX View Post
    I've continued to search for an answer to this with no luck.
    Any links to a site / review / forum that discusses this feature?
    Hi OZX, sorry for the delay in replying to you... I've been on jury duty!

    Here's an answer, straight from our MTB product manager:

    "Rear mount is 130mm travel and a more linear spring rate (feels plusher) forward mount is 120mm travel and more progressive (feels more xc racey and a snappier feel)"

    Let me know if there is anything else you need help with!
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    108
    When will the Nine Team arrive in Canada?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5
    I have a 520 and want to update the front end. Anybody have suggestions for a 120mm front fork that would be good for single track stuff and jumping. I also want to go to a 2.3 or 2.4 in the front. Any thoughts?

  21. #21
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,773
    Any 29er goodness/newness coming for 2012? I want to see a 29er FS trail/xc bike (100mm to 120mm travel) that is snappy and fun!

  22. #22
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Felt,

    Please clean up the extra cable on the front of the Nine series. The attention to detail is terrific on the rest of the bike, but the cable 'overage' on the front looks like a rats nest. Yes, my wired bike computer is in there, but see past it and try to address the rest of it. It's apparent that you could cut down on the brake line lengths quite a bit.

    Regards,

    Proud 2011 Nine Sport owner.




  23. #23
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Any 29er goodness/newness coming for 2012? I want to see a 29er FS trail/xc bike (100mm to 120mm travel) that is snappy and fun!
    There are some rumors out there...
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  24. #24
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Felt,

    Please clean up the extra cable on the front of the Nine series. The attention to detail is terrific on the rest of the bike, but the cable 'overage' on the front looks like a rats nest. Yes, my wired bike computer is in there, but see past it and try to address the rest of it. It's apparent that you could cut down on the brake line lengths quite a bit.

    Regards,

    Proud 2011 Nine Sport owner.



    Hi Torreyaz,

    Thanks for the comments and for buying a FELT!

    We (along with many other manufacturers) leave housing on the long side, as that gives you and your shop much more slack to work with when initially setting up the position on your bike. It is typically easier to cut housing/cables shorter, once you have finalized your position, than it is to buy and replace housing that is too short!
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  25. #25
    mtb enthusiast
    Reputation: torreyaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    Hi Torreyaz,

    Thanks for the comments and for buying a FELT!

    We (along with many other manufacturers) leave housing on the long side, as that gives you and your shop much more slack to work with when initially setting up the position on your bike. It is typically easier to cut housing/cables shorter, once you have finalized your position, than it is to buy and replace housing that is too short!
    I understand the explanation but my lbs never even brought this up as something I could consider. I'm riding the default position, but should I expect a Felt dealer to offer this level of service as part of their contract with Felt? In other words, should your dealers customize the cabling upon purchase of a Felt, or at least offer the cable customization as an aftermarket expense?


    Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

  26. #26
    rza
    rza is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1

    sizing

    hello,
    I'm looking to buy a Felt Nine Trail but am not sure what size to get. I'm 6'5" so it would seem that I need an XL, but my inseam is only 34. I had a XL frame years ago from a different maker (GT) and it always seemed to big for me. I check the specs on the XLand it looks like I'd only have an inch of standover height. If I go down a size would that be too small??

    thanks
    rza

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    30
    Can I convert my q720 to SS?

  28. #28
    I dd what you see there.
    Reputation: XLNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    717
    Why didn't Felt make a "higher end" SRAM build (ie; Red) in a aluminum frame for 2012 Cyclocross line?

    Why isn't the weight for the 2012 F65X posted like all the others and how much does it actually weigh? (yes I want one)

  29. #29
    Tigers love pepper...
    Reputation: cobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,724
    Another request for a FS 29er, no need for big travel 100mm would be fine.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Another request for a FS 29er, no need for big travel 100mm would be fine.
    another here. a short travel full squish 29er is perfect for my part of the country. i'm a die hard felt fanboi that had to get a niner for my first mountain bike. it's a great bike but it will get sold after felt makes FS 29ers for a couple of years. (gotta iron out the kink before i buy one)

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Puffy Tacos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    70

    2009 Solo Nine Question

    Have a Solo 9 and was wondering where I can get the tech/service manual on the eccentric bottom bracket. Maybe something with an exploded parts view? Felt's website alludes to a manual area in the tech section that doesn't seem to exist. Gracias.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    456
    When we seeing the rumored Edict 29er?

  33. #33
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    When is the next batch of 2012 Nine Sports due to ship in California?
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  34. #34
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Hubs on the 2012 Nine Sport? 12x135 or 12x142. Looking to upgrade the wheel set.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Puffy Tacos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    70
    ..crickets...

    I got a reply from Felt on my earlier question: "No - we don't have technical manuals. Check with your dealer."

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    hello from France

    I hava a question concerning a FELT NINE SOLO 2008 with integrated headset.

    I got the frame without the headset

    What kind of Integrated headset i need ? 36/45 ° or 45°/45° ??

    regards

    French fever

  37. #37
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    hello,
    I'm looking to buy a Felt Nine Trail but am not sure what size to get. I'm 6'5" so it would seem that I need an XL, but my inseam is only 34. I had a XL frame years ago from a different maker (GT) and it always seemed to big for me. I check the specs on the XLand it looks like I'd only have an inch of standover height. If I go down a size would that be too small??

    thanks
    rza
    rza -

    The best, and only, method I recommend for sizing is to visit your local dealer and have them make a suggestion. It is very difficult to recommend a size without seeing you in person and/or on a bike.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  38. #38
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by koretex View Post
    Can I convert my q720 to SS?
    With the correct parts, yes!
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  39. #39
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by XLNC View Post
    Why didn't Felt make a "higher end" SRAM build (ie; Red) in a aluminum frame for 2012 Cyclocross line?

    Why isn't the weight for the 2012 F65X posted like all the others and how much does it actually weigh? (yes I want one)
    We typically do not post weights until we receive actual production models in stock. We only recently received the F65X, which is most likely why it has not been posted yet.

    The 55cm F65X we have here at the office weighed in at 20.12lbs.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  40. #40
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy Tacos View Post
    Have a Solo 9 and was wondering where I can get the tech/service manual on the eccentric bottom bracket. Maybe something with an exploded parts view? Felt's website alludes to a manual area in the tech section that doesn't seem to exist. Gracias.
    We do not have any tech docs or manuals on the Solo 9's EBB. It is a standard, wedge style EBB.

    Send me a PM with any questions you have, and I'll give you some adjustment tips.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  41. #41
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Another request for a FS 29er, no need for big travel 100mm would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    another here. a short travel full squish 29er is perfect for my part of the country. i'm a die hard felt fanboi that had to get a niner for my first mountain bike. it's a great bike but it will get sold after felt makes FS 29ers for a couple of years. (gotta iron out the kink before i buy one)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825 View Post
    When we seeing the rumored Edict 29er?
    Make sure you keep a close watch on this Ssring's Sea Otter Classic! I think you'll see some very interesting things...
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  42. #42
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Hubs on the 2012 Nine Sport? 12x135 or 12x142. Looking to upgrade the wheel set.
    The 2012 Nine Sport is 12x135
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  43. #43
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by french fever View Post
    hello from France

    I hava a question concerning a FELT NINE SOLO 2008 with integrated headset.

    I got the frame without the headset

    What kind of Integrated headset i need ? 36/45 ° or 45°/45° ??

    regards

    French fever
    You need an IS-Style headset, measuring 41.6mm x 6.5mm at 45/45

    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  44. #44
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    When is the next batch of 2012 Nine Sports due to ship in California?
    We are expecting more by the end of March.

    Your dealer will have up-to-date delivery information at their disposal. There is a very high demand for this model, so availability will be limited for new orders. I would inquire at your local dealer to see if they currently have any on order with FELT
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  45. #45
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    The 2012 Nine Sport is 12x135
    Thank you.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    87
    I just ran across the F65SX on the Felt web site. It's a great looking bike. In the geometry chart, it shows a Seat Tube Center to Top dimension. Is that to the seat collar? Also, what is the BCD of the crank - 110 or 130?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Monument247; 03-03-2012 at 09:47 AM.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    You need an IS-Style headset, measuring 41.6mm x 6.5mm at 45/45

    I don't see a lot of (any) campy-style headsets listed as 41.6mm. Is 42mm considered the same? For reference, I'm looking for a headset for an '09 Nine Solo.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    yes it is any 41.6 mm x 6.5 x 45/45°

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by french fever View Post
    yes it is any 41.6 mm x 6.5 x 45/45°
    My question is: does it exist? I have seen 41.0, 41.2, 41.8 and 42.0. Does anyone have an example, like the one pictured, of the exact correct spec?

    The other thing that's confusing is that Felt's own spec for the 2009 Nine Solo lists the headset as the "Cane Creek" style. But isn't a 45/45 considered a "Campy" style?

    Thanks in advance,

    Eric

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    OK, after searching and searching, I have discovered two things:

    1. It's not 41.6mm O.D. that I'm looking for; it's 41mm. Right? That's what the bearings are clearly inscribed with in the linked pic.
    2. The picture posted (with no links or description) is from Felt's own website and is for a (proprietary for Felt?) $59.99 headset.

    What I'm not clear on, though, is:

    3. How important is the stack height? I see many headsets out there that are 41mm O.D. and use 45/45 angular bearings, but none that have a 6.5mm stack height. All are anywhere from 8mm on up. Can I use any of these, as long as I'm OK with the headset being partially exposed?

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    Could you please publish torque specifications for stem bolts as well as seatpost? At the printed owner`s manual I can read something like “use proper torque”, but can´t find the recommended torque values. By the way, I own a Felt Virtue 3 model 2009 and it has been a very pleasant experience.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by trout_smith View Post
    I don't see a lot of (any) campy-style headsets listed as 41.6mm. Is 42mm considered the same? For reference, I'm looking for a headset for an '09 Nine Solo.
    the problem is not solved yet, THIS IS NOT the correct headset finally !

    Maybe they really have a problem of communication with the customers,they don't even know what it needed.

    i got a headset like this 41.7 x 6.5 mm x 45/45

    it won't fit ! the tube inside is really low height.

    i check it and it's a 36°45° for the solo

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    Hoping the felt rep can go to the source and get the true spec. This is going to be the only thing I'm waiting for to complete build.

    I suspect it may be 30/45 also.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    6
    Recently received a warranty replacement TT frame. Super quick turnaround, pleased with the response the dealer received! Was a bit bummed when I received the $140 bill for 2 day shipping charges. I'd suggest giving shops/customers an option on shipping method (or not charging at all due to the inconvenience of having to deal with a defect). Also, I emailed Felt twice with warranty questions and received ZERO response. I don't want to sound too negative, as I truly am happy with the replacement frame, but if companies want future business they need to respond to customer inquiries.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by bribon View Post
    Recently received a warranty replacement TT frame. Super quick turnaround, pleased with the response the dealer received! Was a bit bummed when I received the $140 bill for 2 day shipping charges. I'd suggest giving shops/customers an option on shipping method (or not charging at all due to the inconvenience of having to deal with a defect). Also, I emailed Felt twice with warranty questions and received ZERO response. I don't want to sound too negative, as I truly am happy with the replacement frame, but if companies want future business they need to respond to customer inquiries.
    Wow, that is disapointing. There is no excuse for an unreturned e-mail. As a matter of fact a defect IMO shipping should be on the companies dime.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by trout_smith View Post
    OK, after searching and searching, I have discovered two things:

    1. It's not 41.6mm O.D. that I'm looking for; it's 41mm. Right? That's what the bearings are clearly inscribed with in the linked pic.
    2. The picture posted (with no links or description) is from Felt's own website and is for a (proprietary for Felt?) $59.99 headset.

    What I'm not clear on, though, is:

    3. How important is the stack height? I see many headsets out there that are 41mm O.D. and use 45/45 angular bearings, but none that have a 6.5mm stack height. All are anywhere from 8mm on up. Can I use any of these, as long as I'm OK with the headset being partially exposed?
    Thanks all - I got the following reply by e-mailing Felt:

    "Here is a link to the 2009 Felt Solo from our 2009 website: Felt Bicycles USA - NINE Solo (9550)

    Any 45 degree, 1-1/8" integrated, IS-Type headset will work with your 2009 Solo. We offer a Cane Creek headset on our website that will fit on your bike (Cane Creek 1 1/8" Carbon Headset - Felt Bicycles, though it does not come with top cap, pre-load devise, or spacers), or any local Felt Dealer can help you pick out a headset. There are a variety of options out there, from companies such as Cane Creek, Aheadset, and FSA.

    Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

    Justin Plinz
    Felt Bicycles"

    Based on that, I ordered a cheap Aheadset branded headset:

    Aheadset Integrated Threadless Headset IS 1 - 1/8" Black (840226090047) | eBay

    Installed just fine and good to go. What confused me was that it sounded like I "needed" a 6.5mm stack height, which wasn't the case.

    All's well that ends well

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    You need an IS-Style headset, measuring 41.6mm x 6.5mm at 45/45



    what's wrong here ?

    simply be careful with SOLO models ! it's the normal integrated cane creek style,simply.

    it's not the campy style 45/45° ! the bearings are too big to fit the integrated headset.

    i have mine installed, and yes it's any IS 36°/45° not matter it's 41.6mm or 41.8 mm

    Integrated headset sucks !


  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    for the SOLO the lower bearing is 36°

    on the picture the big fat bearing is a campy style, won't fit the SOLO

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: french fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    17
    when i received my frame i got these.....??



    and on Mtbr forum i found that pic


  60. #60
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Is there a torque spec for the stock cassette on the Nine Sport? Changing wheels soon, keeping the existing cassette. The new hubs will be SRAM X.9 fwiw.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  61. #61
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    Is there a torque spec for the stock cassette on the Nine Sport? Changing wheels soon, keeping the existing cassette. The new hubs will be SRAM X.9 fwiw.
    Hi CCMTB:

    Many cassette lockrings will have the torque spec etched/printed on them. If not, it is best to reference that with the cassette's manufacturer (which will vary, depending on the model year or your Nine Sport) as they can provide the most accurate info.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  62. #62
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    Hi CCMTB:

    Many cassette lockrings will have the torque spec etched/printed on them. If not, it is best to reference that with the cassette's manufacturer (which will vary, depending on the model year or your Nine Sport) as they can provide the most accurate info.
    It's a 2012 Nine Sport. Not positive on the exact cassette but I think it's a SRAM brand. It's stock.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  63. #63
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks wpcouch. One more thing: I lost a frame bolt on the seat tube used to hold bottle cages, etc. any idea what size these are?
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  64. #64
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Hi! Quick question about the rear hub on the 2012 Nine Sport. Is it compatible with a 10 speed setup? I want to upgrade to Deore XT and want to make sure I don't have to change wheelsets. I can't seem to find any information on the stock SX17 wheelset.
    Thanks!
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Nine Trail and Sport Color options

    On the Felt website, the Nine Trail and Sport have a black color option. However, when I was at my LBS this weekend, I spoke with the the owner who said the only color option for the Trail was "Poison Oak", and the sport only came in "Orange Crush". He showed me the catalog which didn't show the black options on either of these models.

    I showed the owner the Felt website; he said that the black color option may be for countries outside the US.

    Is there a black color option for the Trail and Sport as per the website? If so, is black an option for the US market?

  66. #66
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcraig View Post
    On the Felt website, the Nine Trail and Sport have a black color option. However, when I was at my LBS this weekend, I spoke with the the owner who said the only color option for the Trail was "Poison Oak", and the sport only came in "Orange Crush". He showed me the catalog which didn't show the black options on either of these models.

    I showed the owner the Felt website; he said that the black color option may be for countries outside the US.

    Is there a black color option for the Trail and Sport as per the website? If so, is black an option for the US market?
    I think black is only available in the Comp model for the US.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  67. #67
    Moose Member
    Reputation: Moosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,192
    Hey Felt!

    You guys should bring back the Compulsion and Redemption in North America. Maybe even Jumpshot or whatever your DJ bike was. I'm loving my old Compulsion...

    So My friend also wants to buy a compulsion (he likes mine so much) and has to buy used. If he buys a used one off craigslist, rides it for a year, then it breaks, you won't warranty that right?

    Some picture lovin' for ya. Thanks for the sick bike Felt.

    Ask FELT-sequence7crop.jpg

    Ask FELT-sequence001.jpg

  68. #68
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,731
    What is the stock BB size for the 2012 Nine Sport? I'm going to keep the stock XCR cranks for now and I know the shell is 73mm (English). What's the other dimension? 113mm? Thanks.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45

    Rack or carrier mounting.

    Hi, I´m a new owner of a Felt Nine Race 29er and I wonder if there is any possibility to mount a rack or carrier on the rear ? I´ve looked into this, Will this fit or isn´t rack mounting supported.

    Can´t find any information about this subject on the offical website.

    I found an Topeak Explorer 29er Tubular Rack w/disc mounts (w/o Spring).

    Regards

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51

    Replacing EBB on a Nine Solo

    This question is for felt or anyone who has experience upgrading the EBB on their Nine Solo frame. I have a 2009 and would like to switch to the wedge-style due to stripping the tiny bolts that came stock.

    My question is this:

    What specs do I need to consider when buying an aftermarket EBB? If anyone has good experiences with any, what worked for you?

    Thanks for any help.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1
    Why is the compulsion line not available anymore in the states?

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    137
    i have a question regarding my felt road bike. it's a 2011 AR5. can i use a specialized romin evo pro saddle on that seatpost? here's what specialized's website says about it:

    NOTE: Oversized 7x9mm carbon rails are not compatible with seatposts equipped with side-load clamp mechanisms for 7mm round rails.

    honestly i don't know what that means. i know this isn't mountain bike related but i figured this was the easiest way to contact you. thanks Dave!

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    This was my solution as well. Picked up two bolts at the hardware store for $1.73. Now I can use a 5mm instead of a 3mm.

    Quote Originally Posted by french fever View Post
    when i received my frame i got these.....??



    and on Mtbr forum i found that pic


  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    61
    Trout i have sent wpcouch, i private message with no responce about the same issue. I have a solo and will in the near future need to replace my ebb. I would like to use the new Niner biocentric ebb if it will fit, or go back with what i have, just need a part number. 1 tip i started using red lock tite instead of the blue on my set screws, you dont have to torq them down as tight on the set screws to keep the chain from loosening.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: somexiridemybike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    116
    I have the q620 and it has about 50 miles on it. Any recommendations as to what should be "tuned up?" thanks! Loving the felt btw.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Hey Felt!

    You guys should bring back the Compulsion and Redemption in North America. Maybe even Jumpshot or whatever your DJ bike was. I'm loving my old Compulsion...

    So My friend also wants to buy a compulsion (he likes mine so much) and has to buy used. If he buys a used one off craigslist, rides it for a year, then it breaks, you won't warranty that right?

    Some picture lovin' for ya. Thanks for the sick bike Felt.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sequence7crop.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	689406

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sequence001.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	484.7 KB 
ID:	689407
    Hey Moosey your in luck. I just saw on the home page of this site that Felt has rolled out thier 2013 line up a couple of days ago. Holy Cow! The new Compulsions look awesome. I was very happy to see they haven't abandoned the AM bikes or 26 inch bikes, and they are available in carbon fiber or a more affordable aluminum version.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3
    Hi,

    I have just bought a new Felt Trail 29er.

    I have noticed a few rings of oil on the stanchions.
    Are the seals leaking?
    Surely this can't be the case as it is literally a brand new bike.

    Regards,

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    50

    Noob Questions

    I just bout a '12 Nine Flow and love it. However, I am looking to change the pedals and seatpost clamp. What size is the pedal thread and what is the diameter of seatpost clamp?

  79. #79
    Certifiably Crazy
    Reputation: Carloswithac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourstringsquire View Post
    I just bout a '12 Nine Flow and love it. However, I am looking to change the pedals and seatpost clamp. What size is the pedal thread and what is the diameter of seatpost clamp?
    34.9 on the seatpost clamp.
    Standard size pedals.
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    For any questions, I would contact Felt directly, or your LBS that carries Felt. No one from Felt has answered a question here since March, and several questions just simply went unanswered before that.

    I had pretty good luck getting questions answered through their website though.

    If I were a manager at Felt, I would kill this thread as it just makes them look bad. I don't think they are this bad with customer service. There was probably just an over-zealous employee who started a thread and then didn't, or couldn't, follow through, for some reason.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the quick reply

  82. #82
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourstringsquire View Post
    I just bout a '12 Nine Flow and love it. However, I am looking to change the pedals and seatpost clamp. What size is the pedal thread and what is the diameter of seatpost clamp?
    Hi Fourstringsquire;

    Thanks for the question, and for buying a Felt!

    You will need "standard" 9/16 pedals for your Nine Flow. A vast majority of pedals out there are 9/16, so you should have no problems finding a pair

    Also, a 34.9 seatpost clamp will do the trick.

    Sorry for the delay in replying. Hope this helps
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  83. #83
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman610 View Post
    Hi,

    I have just bought a new Felt Trail 29er.

    I have noticed a few rings of oil on the stanchions.
    Are the seals leaking?
    Surely this can't be the case as it is literally a brand new bike.

    Regards,
    Hi Watchman,

    The oil you are noticing on the stanchions is completely normal, and helps keep your fork working smoothly throughout it's travel.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  84. #84
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    i have a question regarding my felt road bike. it's a 2011 AR5. can i use a specialized romin evo pro saddle on that seatpost? here's what specialized's website says about it:

    NOTE: Oversized 7x9mm carbon rails are not compatible with seatposts equipped with side-load clamp mechanisms for 7mm round rails.

    honestly i don't know what that means. i know this isn't mountain bike related but i figured this was the easiest way to contact you. thanks Dave!
    Hi c_mack.

    The AR1 uses a top load clamp, so you should have no issues with the Romin saddle.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  85. #85
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by trout_smith View Post
    For any questions, I would contact Felt directly, or your LBS that carries Felt. No one from Felt has answered a question here since March, and several questions just simply went unanswered before that.

    I had pretty good luck getting questions answered through their website though.

    If I were a manager at Felt, I would kill this thread as it just makes them look bad. I don't think they are this bad with customer service. There was probably just an over-zealous employee who started a thread and then didn't, or couldn't, follow through, for some reason.
    Hi trout_smith

    Thanks for the follow up, and sorry for the recent delays. As you surmised, my duties at Felt have changed, leaving me with less time to follow up on this thread. I will, however, be sure to keep on top of it as time warrants.

    PMs through mtbr.com now go directly to my inbox at Felt, so I can always be reached there.

    Thanks again,

    Wil
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  86. #86
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by somexiridemybike View Post
    I have the q620 and it has about 50 miles on it. Any recommendations as to what should be "tuned up?" thanks! Loving the felt btw.
    Thanks for buying a Felt, and I'm happy to hear that you are loving it!

    Your LBS is the best avenue for a tune up and repair recommendations
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    135
    I made it out to the trails for the second time on my Felt Nine 80 this weekend. I had a great time, but I noticed a high pitch squeaking type noise coming from the rear of the bike. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rubber bushing that is on the chain side of the axle, but a shot of WD40 did not make it go away. Any suggestions?

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    I wish you many years of happy riding on your new bike. Therefore, I would like to share an advice on WD40. It is not a good idea to use WD40 on your bike. This product is not intended to be used as a long term lubricant. Actually, it will dissolve and wash the grease and oil from your bike, resulting in premature wear of bearings and other parts. Moreover, the spray can contaminate your disk brakes and can ruin your brake pads. I use it to remove old grips, but that is all.

    If you hear a high pitch squeaking noise, it probably is originated from your rear disc brake. You can check for brake pad clearance. Contaminated brake pads also lead to noisy brakes.

    By the way, I am intrigued by the rubber bushing that you described. Your bike should not have any rubber bushing at the axle. Could it be a rubber seal? A picture could help.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    I wish you many years of happy riding on your new bike. Therefore, I would like to share an advice on WD40. It is not a good idea to use WD40 on your bike. This product is not intended to be used as a long term lubricant. Actually, it will dissolve and wash the grease and oil from your bike, resulting in premature wear of bearings and other parts. Moreover, the spray can contaminate your disk brakes and can ruin your brake pads. I use it to remove old grips, but that is all.

    If you hear a high pitch squeaking noise, it probably is originated from your rear disc brake. You can check for brake pad clearance. Contaminated brake pads also lead to noisy brakes.

    By the way, I am intrigued by the rubber bushing that you described. Your bike should not have any rubber bushing at the axle. Could it be a rubber seal? A picture could help.
    Thanks for the responce. Yes, I should have said seal, not bushing. It is not the brakes making the noise because I pulled the wheel off and the noise remained. WD40 was all I had in the truck, so I tried it. I realize now that was a bad idea because my brakes no longer work now either.

    I pulled the disc and pads and cleaned them both with alcohol, still no brakes. I'm leaned toward upgrading the rear to BB7s instead of fixing these. As for the noise, a dab of lithium grease fixed it. So is the the best solution? I'm afraid it will just collect dust.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    Brake pads are porous and absorb the oil and contaminants. You need new brake pads. You could remove the brake pads and use sand paper to renew the surface and clean the discs with alcohol. The brakes will work again, but not as good as new, and they will be noisy.

    The lithium grease will be fine. Just remove the excess of it. You can try a few drops of dry chain lube if worried about collecting dirt. Just try by all means to keep the brake discs clean.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    135
    I took some 220 grit to both the disc and pads, then cleaned again with alcohol. They seem to work almost as well as they did new. However, they do not make any noise (at least yet) and they did since new before. If they get weaker on me I'll use that as an excuse to upgrade. Thanks for your help.

  92. #92
    feltbicycles.com
    Reputation: wpcouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I made it out to the trails for the second time on my Felt Nine 80 this weekend. I had a great time, but I noticed a high pitch squeaking type noise coming from the rear of the bike. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rubber bushing that is on the chain side of the axle, but a shot of WD40 did not make it go away. Any suggestions?
    elopez already gave you some great answers, but I just wanted to reinforce two things that he mentioned.

    I recommend that you do not use WD40 as a lube (unless you are using their new bike lubricant. I have no experience with it though, so can't speak to it's usefulness.) The noise you're describing is normally most likely from the disc brake bads (you've ruled that out) or the rubber dust seal on the hub. A couple drops of chain lube on the dust seal will do the trick. Lithium works fine, as well. Just make sure you remove any excess so it does not attract dirt.

    Be careful of getting any type of lubricant/grease/etc on the brake pads as it will render them nearly worthless. Using rubbing alcohol and sandpaper will make them a lot better, but may not completely fix the problem. Make sure you are also cleaning the rotor with rubbing alcohol.

    Otherwise, get out there and ride! What do you think of the new Nine 80? It's a new frame for 2013, and I haven't had the chance to talk to many people that have ridden it yet.
    www.feltbicycles.com - wilcouchatfeltbicyclesdotcom - facebook

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    I recommend that you do not use WD40 as a lube
    I've learned my lesson. I normally would not have used it, but the noise was annoying and that was the only lubricant I had.


    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    What do you think of the new Nine 80? It's a new frame for 2013, and I haven't had the chance to talk to many people that have ridden it yet.
    I am enjoying it so far, but I have nothing to compare it to. The only bikes I have ever had were when I was a kid and they were all from Wal-mart. I did demo many sub $700 29ers in parking lots and the Felt seems to fit me the best.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1

    bike estimation

    I have a 2011 felt Q520 with less than 30 miles. I am trying to sell the bike on craigslist, and have had no luck. I am asking $395. I have a brand new set of IRC kevlar race tires still in package (offering to put on bike when sold), new bearclaw locking grips just put on bike. Have owners manual. Do you think $395 is too much or to little?
    ]

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    42
    I came across a Felt FRD full-suspension bike for sale, and my understanding is that these bikes are prototype bikes used for development and limited in quantity. What kind of use are these bikes subjected to? Should I stray away from these bikes in my bike hunt?

    Thanks in advance.

  96. #96
    sof
    sof is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Hi, I was hoping someone on here could give me some information regarding the Felt Shop (felt-stuff). I placed an order on 19th December for a new set of bearings for my 2009 Redemption 3, the order was accepted and money taken from my account but I've had zero communication since. The My Account page shows the order in "processing" and has done since day 1. I've emailed 3 times to try and get some information and had no reply.

    I realise Christmas has been, but an automated email to tell me there might be a delay would have eased my frustrations.

    The reason I need the new bearings is because a plated shoulder bolt had been used in my equilink bar and eroded itself and the needle roller bearings, I currently have about 4-5mm of play on the bar which is really noticeable when pedaling heavily. This whole situation is really putting me off Felt, which is a shame, because I love my redemption, I'm just not happy about he service. If I'd have known it was going to take this long I'd have spec'd the bearings myself and ordered them from a hardware store.

    Does anybody have any information regarding the felt-stuff.com shop and why they're not replying to communications?

  97. #97
    sof
    sof is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by sof View Post
    Hi, I was hoping someone on here could give me some information regarding the Felt Shop (felt-stuff). I placed an order on 19th December for a new set of bearings for my 2009 Redemption 3, the order was accepted and money taken from my account but I've had zero communication since. The My Account page shows the order in "processing" and has done since day 1. I've emailed 3 times to try and get some information and had no reply.

    I realise Christmas has been, but an automated email to tell me there might be a delay would have eased my frustrations.

    The reason I need the new bearings is because a plated shoulder bolt had been used in my equilink bar and eroded itself and the needle roller bearings, I currently have about 4-5mm of play on the bar which is really noticeable when pedaling heavily. This whole situation is really putting me off Felt, which is a shame, because I love my redemption, I'm just not happy about he service. If I'd have known it was going to take this long I'd have spec'd the bearings myself and ordered them from a hardware store.

    Does anybody have any information regarding the felt-stuff.com shop and why they're not replying to communications?
    Got in contact with them via phone today, parts were shipped yesterday so should have them in a few days. I'll repost if they don't arrive.

  98. #98
    sof
    sof is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    Felt are back in my bad books. The rebuild kit arrived.

    The bearing removal tool consisted of a nut and bolt and a couple cups - which if I'd known in advanced I'd have sourced myself (socket heads instead of the cup). The bolt head was TOO BIG for my equilink bar by a couple of mm and before I'd realised it'd stripped a mm width off a half cm length of the interior wall, a mate kindly lathed it down for me and removed the bearings but now I have to seat the replacements further into one end of the tube which I'm not happy about.

    The bearings where the chainstay meet the seatstay are completely different to the replacements I've been sent and in fact won't remove with the "removal tool" at all. They're essentially two bearings pressed together, with a ringlet inside the inner which we assumed was a seized spacer. I ripped one bearing apart on one side with the hope I'd be able to remove the spacer and therefore the bearing on the other side. Instead, it seems the spacer is actually integrated into the bearings and there's in fact a spacer built into the frame itself making it impossible to push the bearings out. Given that I don't have another tool option for removing them I've currently soaking it in penetrating oil in the hope I can shift the outer rings which are now stuck.

    The manual sent to me with the kit is absolutely useless and simply states:

    "assemble the bearing removal tool (as shown). Use an allen wrench and open wrench to draw the bearings out of the links. Once all the bearings have been removed..." It may as well just say good luck, figure it out for yourself.

    The customer service is equally shocking. I've not had a SINGLE REPLY from any email sent to them from the moment I placed my order till now. The only contact I've actually managed to get from them is when I had my gf (fortunately german) phone directly.

    It's such a shame, because I love my redemption, it's an insanely nice bike. But I'm honestly considering just buying a new frame from a company with better customer service so I can forget about this nightmare. If I do, I won't ever be buying anything felt again, I feel utterly let down.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trout_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    51
    When trying to contact Felt USA site through their website I (still) get a "500-Internal Server Error".

    Has anyone successfully replaced their bottom bracket on a 2009 Felt Nine Solo frame? I'm thinking a wedge style, maybe one made by Bushnell, but not sure of compatibility or what measurements I need to look for?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

  100. #100
    sof
    sof is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    56
    It's a truvativ GXP bottom bracket on there, so just make sure you get one that's compatible with GXP rather than shimano. The size will either be 68 or 73mm. Take your current bottom bracket out and measure the width of the hole in your frame. When you buy a new one, they're usually always compatible with both 68 and 73 with spacers to fill the gaps.

    I'll be replacing the one on my redemption 3 on monday with a Hope BB + GXP conversion kit. It's easy enough to do, you just need a BB removal tool - I believe the shimano ones will work on GXP but check that first.

    As for the wedge, I've never heard of them, so can't really help. But all I can find on google is for tandem bikes and the design of those wouldn't fit an MTB. You got a link?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. felt vs felt vs scott - best bang for buck
    By xianmacx in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
  2. Felt SS?
    By Mighty Matt in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 04:49 PM
  3. Thank You Felt!!!
    By justin51 in forum Felt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
  4. felt nine ltd.
    By gshock in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 02:32 PM
  5. I felt like a kid again!
    By rabidchicken in forum Passion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •