Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ask FELT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Hey Felt!

You guys should bring back the Compulsion and Redemption in North America. Maybe even Jumpshot or whatever your DJ bike was. I'm loving my old Compulsion...

So My friend also wants to buy a compulsion (he likes mine so much) and has to buy used. If he buys a used one off craigslist, rides it for a year, then it breaks, you won't warranty that right?

Some picture lovin' for ya. Thanks for the sick bike Felt.

Attachment 689406

Attachment 689407
    Hey Moosey your in luck. I just saw on the home page of this site that Felt has rolled out thier 2013 line up a couple of days ago. Holy Cow! The new Compulsions look awesome. I was very happy to see they haven't abandoned the AM bikes or 26 inch bikes, and they are available in carbon fiber or a more affordable aluminum version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi,

I have just bought a new Felt Trail 29er.

I have noticed a few rings of oil on the stanchions.
    Are the seals leaking?
    Surely this can't be the case as it is literally a brand new bike.

Regards,

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Noob Questions

I just bout a '12 Nine Flow and love it. However, I am looking to change the pedals and seatpost clamp. What size is the pedal thread and what is the diameter of seatpost clamp?

Certifiably Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourstringsquire View Post
    I just bout a '12 Nine Flow and love it. However, I am looking to change the pedals and seatpost clamp. What size is the pedal thread and what is the diameter of seatpost clamp?
    34.9 on the seatpost clamp.
    Standard size pedals.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2012 Felt Nine Race
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    For any questions, I would contact Felt directly, or your LBS that carries Felt. No one from Felt has answered a question here since March, and several questions just simply went unanswered before that.

I had pretty good luck getting questions answered through their website though.

If I were a manager at Felt, I would kill this thread as it just makes them look bad. I don't think they are this bad with customer service. There was probably just an over-zealous employee who started a thread and then didn't, or couldn't, follow through, for some reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourstringsquire View Post
    Hi Fourstringsquire;

Thanks for the question, and for buying a Felt!

You will need "standard" 9/16 pedals for your Nine Flow. A vast majority of pedals out there are 9/16, so you should have no problems finding a pair

Also, a 34.9 seatpost clamp will do the trick.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Hope this helps

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchman610 View Post
    Hi,

I have just bought a new Felt Trail 29er.

I have noticed a few rings of oil on the stanchions.
    Are the seals leaking?
    Surely this can't be the case as it is literally a brand new bike.

Regards,
    Hi Watchman,

The oil you are noticing on the stanchions is completely normal, and helps keep your fork working smoothly throughout it's travel.

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by c_mack9 View Post
    i have a question regarding my felt road bike. it's a 2011 AR5. can i use a specialized romin evo pro saddle on that seatpost? here's what specialized's website says about it:

NOTE: Oversized 7x9mm carbon rails are not compatible with seatposts equipped with side-load clamp mechanisms for 7mm round rails.

honestly i don't know what that means. i know this isn't mountain bike related but i figured this was the easiest way to contact you. thanks Dave!
    Hi c_mack.

The AR1 uses a top load clamp, so you should have no issues with the Romin saddle.

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by trout_smith View Post
    For any questions, I would contact Felt directly, or your LBS that carries Felt. No one from Felt has answered a question here since March, and several questions just simply went unanswered before that.

I had pretty good luck getting questions answered through their website though.

If I were a manager at Felt, I would kill this thread as it just makes them look bad. I don't think they are this bad with customer service. There was probably just an over-zealous employee who started a thread and then didn't, or couldn't, follow through, for some reason.
    Hi trout_smith

Thanks for the follow up, and sorry for the recent delays. As you surmised, my duties at Felt have changed, leaving me with less time to follow up on this thread. I will, however, be sure to keep on top of it as time warrants.

PMs through mtbr.com now go directly to my inbox at Felt, so I can always be reached there.

Thanks again,

Wil

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by somexiridemybike View Post
    I have the q620 and it has about 50 miles on it. Any recommendations as to what should be "tuned up?" thanks! Loving the felt btw.
    Thanks for buying a Felt, and I'm happy to hear that you are loving it!

Your LBS is the best avenue for a tune up and repair recommendations

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I made it out to the trails for the second time on my Felt Nine 80 this weekend. I had a great time, but I noticed a high pitch squeaking type noise coming from the rear of the bike. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rubber bushing that is on the chain side of the axle, but a shot of WD40 did not make it go away. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I wish you many years of happy riding on your new bike. Therefore, I would like to share an advice on WD40. It is not a good idea to use WD40 on your bike. This product is not intended to be used as a long term lubricant. Actually, it will dissolve and wash the grease and oil from your bike, resulting in premature wear of bearings and other parts. Moreover, the spray can contaminate your disk brakes and can ruin your brake pads. I use it to remove old grips, but that is all.

If you hear a high pitch squeaking noise, it probably is originated from your rear disc brake. You can check for brake pad clearance. Contaminated brake pads also lead to noisy brakes.

By the way, I am intrigued by the rubber bushing that you described. Your bike should not have any rubber bushing at the axle. Could it be a rubber seal? A picture could help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    I wish you many years of happy riding on your new bike. Therefore, I would like to share an advice on WD40. It is not a good idea to use WD40 on your bike. This product is not intended to be used as a long term lubricant. Actually, it will dissolve and wash the grease and oil from your bike, resulting in premature wear of bearings and other parts. Moreover, the spray can contaminate your disk brakes and can ruin your brake pads. I use it to remove old grips, but that is all.

If you hear a high pitch squeaking noise, it probably is originated from your rear disc brake. You can check for brake pad clearance. Contaminated brake pads also lead to noisy brakes.

By the way, I am intrigued by the rubber bushing that you described. Your bike should not have any rubber bushing at the axle. Could it be a rubber seal? A picture could help.
    Thanks for the responce. Yes, I should have said seal, not bushing. It is not the brakes making the noise because I pulled the wheel off and the noise remained. WD40 was all I had in the truck, so I tried it. I realize now that was a bad idea because my brakes no longer work now either.

I pulled the disc and pads and cleaned them both with alcohol, still no brakes. I'm leaned toward upgrading the rear to BB7s instead of fixing these. As for the noise, a dab of lithium grease fixed it. So is the the best solution? I'm afraid it will just collect dust.

mtbr member
    Brake pads are porous and absorb the oil and contaminants. You need new brake pads. You could remove the brake pads and use sand paper to renew the surface and clean the discs with alcohol. The brakes will work again, but not as good as new, and they will be noisy.

The lithium grease will be fine. Just remove the excess of it. You can try a few drops of dry chain lube if worried about collecting dirt. Just try by all means to keep the brake discs clean.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I took some 220 grit to both the disc and pads, then cleaned again with alcohol. They seem to work almost as well as they did new. However, they do not make any noise (at least yet) and they did since new before. If they get weaker on me I'll use that as an excuse to upgrade. Thanks for your help.

www.feltbicycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I made it out to the trails for the second time on my Felt Nine 80 this weekend. I had a great time, but I noticed a high pitch squeaking type noise coming from the rear of the bike. I thought I had it narrowed down to the rubber bushing that is on the chain side of the axle, but a shot of WD40 did not make it go away. Any suggestions?
    elopez already gave you some great answers, but I just wanted to reinforce two things that he mentioned.

I recommend that you do not use WD40 as a lube (unless you are using their new bike lubricant. I have no experience with it though, so can't speak to it's usefulness.) The noise you're describing is normally most likely from the disc brake bads (you've ruled that out) or the rubber dust seal on the hub. A couple drops of chain lube on the dust seal will do the trick. Lithium works fine, as well. Just make sure you remove any excess so it does not attract dirt.

Be careful of getting any type of lubricant/grease/etc on the brake pads as it will render them nearly worthless. Using rubbing alcohol and sandpaper will make them a lot better, but may not completely fix the problem. Make sure you are also cleaning the rotor with rubbing alcohol.

Otherwise, get out there and ride! What do you think of the new Nine 80? It's a new frame for 2013, and I haven't had the chance to talk to many people that have ridden it yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    I recommend that you do not use WD40 as a lube
    I've learned my lesson. I normally would not have used it, but the noise was annoying and that was the only lubricant I had.

Quote Originally Posted by wpcouch View Post
    What do you think of the new Nine 80? It's a new frame for 2013, and I haven't had the chance to talk to many people that have ridden it yet.
    I am enjoying it so far, but I have nothing to compare it to. The only bikes I have ever had were when I was a kid and they were all from Wal-mart. I did demo many sub $700 29ers in parking lots and the Felt seems to fit me the best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

bike estimation

I have a 2011 felt Q520 with less than 30 miles. I am trying to sell the bike on craigslist, and have had no luck. I am asking $395. I have a brand new set of IRC kevlar race tires still in package (offering to put on bike when sold), new bearclaw locking grips just put on bike. Have owners manual. Do you think $395 is too much or to little?
    ]

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I came across a Felt FRD full-suspension bike for sale, and my understanding is that these bikes are prototype bikes used for development and limited in quantity. What kind of use are these bikes subjected to? Should I stray away from these bikes in my bike hunt?

Thanks in advance.

sof
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi, I was hoping someone on here could give me some information regarding the Felt Shop (felt-stuff). I placed an order on 19th December for a new set of bearings for my 2009 Redemption 3, the order was accepted and money taken from my account but I've had zero communication since. The My Account page shows the order in "processing" and has done since day 1. I've emailed 3 times to try and get some information and had no reply.

I realise Christmas has been, but an automated email to tell me there might be a delay would have eased my frustrations.

The reason I need the new bearings is because a plated shoulder bolt had been used in my equilink bar and eroded itself and the needle roller bearings, I currently have about 4-5mm of play on the bar which is really noticeable when pedaling heavily. This whole situation is really putting me off Felt, which is a shame, because I love my redemption, I'm just not happy about he service. If I'd have known it was going to take this long I'd have spec'd the bearings myself and ordered them from a hardware store.

Does anybody have any information regarding the felt-stuff.com shop and why they're not replying to communications?

sof
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sof View Post
    Hi, I was hoping someone on here could give me some information regarding the Felt Shop (felt-stuff). I placed an order on 19th December for a new set of bearings for my 2009 Redemption 3, the order was accepted and money taken from my account but I've had zero communication since. The My Account page shows the order in "processing" and has done since day 1. I've emailed 3 times to try and get some information and had no reply.

I realise Christmas has been, but an automated email to tell me there might be a delay would have eased my frustrations.

The reason I need the new bearings is because a plated shoulder bolt had been used in my equilink bar and eroded itself and the needle roller bearings, I currently have about 4-5mm of play on the bar which is really noticeable when pedaling heavily. This whole situation is really putting me off Felt, which is a shame, because I love my redemption, I'm just not happy about he service. If I'd have known it was going to take this long I'd have spec'd the bearings myself and ordered them from a hardware store.

Does anybody have any information regarding the felt-stuff.com shop and why they're not replying to communications?
    Got in contact with them via phone today, parts were shipped yesterday so should have them in a few days. I'll repost if they don't arrive.

sof
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Felt are back in my bad books. The rebuild kit arrived.

The bearing removal tool consisted of a nut and bolt and a couple cups - which if I'd known in advanced I'd have sourced myself (socket heads instead of the cup). The bolt head was TOO BIG for my equilink bar by a couple of mm and before I'd realised it'd stripped a mm width off a half cm length of the interior wall, a mate kindly lathed it down for me and removed the bearings but now I have to seat the replacements further into one end of the tube which I'm not happy about.

The bearings where the chainstay meet the seatstay are completely different to the replacements I've been sent and in fact won't remove with the "removal tool" at all. They're essentially two bearings pressed together, with a ringlet inside the inner which we assumed was a seized spacer. I ripped one bearing apart on one side with the hope I'd be able to remove the spacer and therefore the bearing on the other side. Instead, it seems the spacer is actually integrated into the bearings and there's in fact a spacer built into the frame itself making it impossible to push the bearings out. Given that I don't have another tool option for removing them I've currently soaking it in penetrating oil in the hope I can shift the outer rings which are now stuck.

The manual sent to me with the kit is absolutely useless and simply states:

"assemble the bearing removal tool (as shown). Use an allen wrench and open wrench to draw the bearings out of the links. Once all the bearings have been removed..." It may as well just say good luck, figure it out for yourself.

The customer service is equally shocking. I've not had a SINGLE REPLY from any email sent to them from the moment I placed my order till now. The only contact I've actually managed to get from them is when I had my gf (fortunately german) phone directly.

It's such a shame, because I love my redemption, it's an insanely nice bike. But I'm honestly considering just buying a new frame from a company with better customer service so I can forget about this nightmare. If I do, I won't ever be buying anything felt again, I feel utterly let down.

mtbr member
    When trying to contact Felt USA site through their website I (still) get a "500-Internal Server Error".

Has anyone successfully replaced their bottom bracket on a 2009 Felt Nine Solo frame? I'm thinking a wedge style, maybe one made by Bushnell, but not sure of compatibility or what measurements I need to look for?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

sof
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's a truvativ GXP bottom bracket on there, so just make sure you get one that's compatible with GXP rather than shimano. The size will either be 68 or 73mm. Take your current bottom bracket out and measure the width of the hole in your frame. When you buy a new one, they're usually always compatible with both 68 and 73 with spacers to fill the gaps.

I'll be replacing the one on my redemption 3 on monday with a Hope BB + GXP conversion kit. It's easy enough to do, you just need a BB removal tool - I believe the shimano ones will work on GXP but check that first.

As for the wedge, I've never heard of them, so can't really help. But all I can find on google is for tandem bikes and the design of those wouldn't fit an MTB. You got a link?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast