mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Anyone seen new Felt Solo 29er SS?

Has anyone out there seen or heard about the new Felt Solo 29er single speed? I'm considering the leap of faith from my current 3x9 29er to a single speed.

I sure like the price of the Raleigh XXIX, but am more than a little worried about a rigid front fork based on where I typically ride. So I looked around the various web sites and noticed Felt has a new SS with (seemingly) pretty good components.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard about them.

Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I haven't... but Chad @ Red Barn is a Felt dealer..so he might have the "inside scoop".. send him an email..he's pretty friendly and helpful

the bike looks cool

mtbr member
    WTF size coz is it spec'd with in that photo? Looks tiny like a 14T or something!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    WTF size coz is it spec'd with in that photo? Looks tiny like a 14T or something!
    It's spec'd with a 32 front, 19 rear. Not gonna climb pikes peak with that combo. If I end up getting this bike I see at least a 21 tooth in my future....

Birthday Collector
    Don't discount the rigid XXIX - I have one, ride some pretty rough conditions with it and the large 29" tires really do smooth things out well. If it is really rocky and lots of drops, etc... where you are, then a suspension fork may be well worth it. If not, rigid rocks. My other bike is a 6+ inch travel Ransom - that I hardly ride since I got the Raleigh... Try to demo one if you can. A friend of mine is on a SC Superlight and rode the XXIX and thought it rode almost as smooth as her FS...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ummm....I would be more worried about the radially laced front wheel with disc brakes. The rear appears to be a 1X lacing which is pretty dumb as well.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

Single Speed

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by tedsti
    Ummm....I would be more worried about the radially laced front wheel with disc brakes. The rear appears to be a 1X lacing which is pretty dumb as well.
    Agree, but it looks cool.

mtbnj.com
    I have seen one, I am in NJ and a dealer has one on the floor. What was the question again?
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

Witty McWitterson
    uh, guys....that 'pic' is a sketch/CAD drawing, and not a true representation of what the bike really is.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    uh, guys....that 'pic' is a sketch/CAD drawing, and not a true representation of what the bike really is.
    Good point. That has GOT to be some fictional representation. I'm ashamed to say I didn't notice the radial laced spokes on the front wheel, and I know better. I'm the only person to ever taco a DT Swiss TK7.1 rim according to my LBS and that was laced 3X.

I talked to my favorite guy at my LBS and he was going to ask his Felt rep to give him a demo that I can try. If this was a $300 beater I wouldn't be so particular, but since this costs more than my geared 29er, I need to get this right the first time.