mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Anybody riding a Felt Nine Sport?

I'm thinking about getting one and going rigid with a Kona P2 rigid fork. Will the fork fit?
    How do you like the bike? Any upgrades?
    I'm 6'4''(1.95m) and planning to get a 21.5( XL)
    Thanks!

bmh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I picked one up about a month ago. I've wanted to try a 29er and since I already had a Virtue 3 I stuck with Felt. So far I like it what little I have ridden. The weather here has sucked for the past month and the trails have been too wet to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Long time biker, noobie mountain biker. Having never ridden a 29er and not riding a mountain bike in over 8 years, I decided to get into mountain biking. I went with the Felt Niner Trail. While it isn't the sport, it is great so far. Had it since October 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i got a felt nine sport about 2 mths ago. so far so good! The only thing im not used to is the weight. it seems much heavier then im used to. no upgrades yet. want to ride it for a little while and figure out where the best upgrades will be. I havn't been able to get away from work alot to ride but i what i have rode i've been pretty hard on it and its held up well. I would recommend the bike to others. let me know what yall think of yours and what upgrades your looking into.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My upgrades: vodoo zombie fork, deore FD and shifters, ergon GC2 grips, X7 180mm crank, old specialized saddle and tubeless conversion. It's heavy but it rolls fast. I race on it and it's fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    just out of curiosity, on the tubeless conversion what air pressure are u running? From what i've heard u have to run real high pressure or they burp alot and then they don't do u much good. did you have to get new tires or did your factory ones convert? if so what company did u go through for the materials? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm using the WTB Prowlers that came with the bike with a 29er Stans no tubes kit. I run about 30psi.. I wish the rims were a little wider ( they are 17mm inside ), but so far so good.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox View Post
    i got a felt nine sport about 2 mths ago. so far so good! The only thing im not used to is the weight. it seems much heavier then im used to. no upgrades yet. want to ride it for a little while and figure out where the best upgrades will be. I havn't been able to get away from work alot to ride but i what i have rode i've been pretty hard on it and its held up well. I would recommend the bike to others. let me know what yall think of yours and what upgrades your looking into.
    What size is your frame and what's the weight of the bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Size 21.5
    Weight 13kg

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhox View Post
    What is your initial opinion of the Tektro hydraulic brakes? Also, what tires came on your bike?

bmh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    What is your initial opinion of the Tektro hydraulic brakes? Also, what tires came on your bike?
    So far I'm happy with the Tektro's. I ride a 21.5in frame and weigh 240. They slow me down and I haven't had any fading issues going down hill. The only thing I have to compare them to are the Deore's on my Virtue 3. They make more noise and require more pressure to use but I still only use one finger.
    Standard tires on the 2011 Sport are the Prowler's. So far they have done great in everything I put them through except wet leaves. Then again, I haven't found many tires that do. They slip some going over wet logs but I still get up and over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm happy with the Tektro's too, they have been troble free so far. Bike came with WTB Prowlers too.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh View Post
    So far I'm happy with the Tektro's. I ride a 21.5in frame and weigh 240. They slow me down and I haven't had any fading issues going down hill. The only thing I have to compare them to are the Deore's on my Virtue 3. They make more noise and require more pressure to use but I still only use one finger.
    Standard tires on the 2011 Sport are the Prowler's. So far they have done great in everything I put them through except wet leaves. Then again, I haven't found many tires that do. They slip some going over wet logs but I still get up and over.
    That's good to hear about the brakes (thx dlorga too for your input). Haven't found too many reviews on the Dracos but the mechanics at my lbs like them for servicability. They're probably not the lightest brakes around but apparently they are far easier to bleed and service than higher-end brakes. What kind of pads to they come stock with? Semi-metallic?

mtb enthusiast
    I ordered a 2012 about 4 w and keeping up weeks ago and am really looking forward to riding it (not here yet). I'm also glad I found this thread so we can all compare notes on the bikes as we use them more.

BTW, how long did it take to get your bikes if they were not in stock at the lbs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine took about 3 months to come in. 2012 nine comp.

bmh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine was pretty quick, it took like two weeks.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by topperge View Post
    Mine took about 3 months to come in. 2012 nine comp.
    Ugh, I might be facing the same timeframe. Ordered it 5 weeks ago and when I did Felt was at 'very low' stock which I confirmed with multiple bike shops. I know the big boys like Trek and Specialized can crank them out pretty quickly but I was hoping Felt wouldn't be too far behind. You must have been going nuts waiting three months for your new steed.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlorga View Post
    I'm using the WTB Prowlers that came with the bike with a 29er Stans no tubes kit. I run about 30psi.. I wish the rims were a little wider ( they are 17mm inside ), but so far so good.
    Do you remember the width of the rimstrip you ordered from Stan's? Could you provide a link, if possible? Looking to do this to mine as well but I was somewhat discouraged by the narrow rim. Knowing it was a successful conversion for you, I'm willing to take the plunge now.
    Last edited by torreyaz; 01-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How do you feel descending on it? I test road a felt nine sport and loved it, just wish that the terrain wasn't mostly flat. I am nervous about that 72 degree HA, but my 2006 Trek has a 71 degree HA with 26s. I am not sure if relative to wheel size it is about the same HA. Also, what is the BBH?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Crank swap???

Quote Originally Posted by dlorga View Post
    My upgrades: vodoo zombie fork, deore FD and shifters, ergon GC2 grips, X7 180mm crank, old specialized saddle and tubeless conversion. It's heavy but it rolls fast. I race on it and it's fine.
    Hey: what's the size on the bottom bracket on the 9 Sport? I've got a set of XTR 180mm cranks (Hollowtech 2) - need to get a BB for it and want to make sure we've got the right size when I get one. Also- have you had any issues smacking the crank arms/pedals off rocks, roots, trough sides because of the longer cranks? The 180's are currently on my '07 BMC Trailfox and I'm always smacking stuff, even when I've got the DT Swiss shock locked out.

mtbr member

Anybody riding a Felt Nine Sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-Frankenbike View Post
    Hey: what's the size on the bottom bracket on the 9 Sport? I've got a set of XTR 180mm cranks (Hollowtech 2) - need to get a BB for it and want to make sure we've got the right size when I get one. Also- have you had any issues smacking the crank arms/pedals off rocks, roots, trough sides because of the longer cranks? The 180's are currently on my '07 BMC Trailfox and I'm always smacking stuff, even when I've got the DT Swiss shock locked out.
    I put 180 XTs on mine and I did smack the trail a tad more often, but changed my pedaling style when going over large obstacles. It wasn't that bad really. I also had to switch out the BB from the stock 'boat anchor' BB and I think it was a 68. The kicker is that my lbs had to chase the BB threads because Felt was too cheap to machine the threads long enough for an external BB. I was only charged $30 to do this, but I have a really great lbs.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.