mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2013 Felt Nine 50… massive vibration during braking… bad frame?

Recently purchased a 2013 Felt Nine 50 Bike, Not long after I purchase the bike I’ve been experiencing a massive vibration throughout the whole bike during breaking at any speed.

Brought it back to the LBS where I bought it, they made some minor adjustments (basically tightening everything down) unfortunately this didn't help. After bring it back a third time, they contacted FELT, which FELT then recommended contacting the brake manufacture, SRAM. SRAM was kind enough to replace and upgrade the brake system to the 2014 Elixir 9 Trail Hydraulic Disc Brake (four piston), original brake system was Avid Elixr 1 hydraulic disc brakes, after a few miles of riding the problem came back. So I then replaced the rotors, original rotors Shimano with Centerlock. I purchased the Shimano Centerlock adapter and compatible SRAM Avid rotor for the Elixir 9, still the same problem. I then upgraded the wheels with a different hub, direct six bolt for rotor. And again same problem!

So conclusion has to be a bad FELT Frame!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just in case you are having the same issue as me check your rear chain stay, I have broken two (second one this morning). What this does is causes the tire to rack sideways and rub the frame causing a vibration especially under heavy rear braking or pedaling.