mtbr member

2009 Solo 9 Eccentric Bottom Bracket

Really liking the new single speed (see thread below), but for the life of me I can't ajdust the eccentric bottom bracket. I brought it to the dealer, and it confounded him. He tore the whole thing apart and put it back together. Sometimes he could get it to adjust, other times it would stay frozen.

I've done all the tricks I've read on the net, and to no avail. I need to switch cogs for an upcoming race, and I'm

After loosening the adjustment allen bolt, and tapping it with a hammer, I can get the drive side of the split shell to loosen up, but not the non-drive side. I've tried prying it into movment using the crankarms, and it wont budge.

Any advice out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

felt BB

My bike mechanic used a bottom bracket tool to turn the bottom bracket. you can only turn it the way it tightens and the shell will turn. you can turn either side and the entire unit should turn (or unthread one side if you go the wrong way) . My guy wanted to dissassemble the entire unit and lube it, but I "felt" the tightness was a good thing and possibly intended so it didnt slip.

mtbr member

Creaking

I had my LBS loosen it and he did the same with the bottom bracket wrench. But now the thing was creaking like crazy, so I bought a bottom bracket wrench and completely dissasembled the thing. Even with the bottom bracket completely removed and the wedge removed, it was miserable getting out. It was really frozen in place.

Once I got it out and clean up, I realized that it's slightly out of round. That's likely from me cranking so damned hard on it with cheater bars trying to free it. I filed out the distorted area, greased the snot out of it, reassembled, and it creaks exactly like it did before.

I'm going to order a new one and hope for better luck. If that doesn't work, I'm going to start looking for a new frame.

At this point, I really wouldn't recommend that anyone get this bike.

Vegan Athlete
    I have the same bike. Once you get the set screws (two little guys on the bottom of the bb shell) loose it is easy to rotate the eccentric BB shell to tighten / slacken the chain using a pin spanner. Really simple. Sometimes I ride with a pin spanner and 3mm allen wrench in my jersey pocket. I've had the bike for 15 months and it's been pretty much maintenance free.
    However, one of my set screws is not stuck in place and the allen part is rounded out. I think I may have to remove it with an easy-out. Not excited about it as it's due to bad design. A bolt, facing down towards the mud and water, with a tiny 3mm allen head? That is poor design. Other than that the bike has been great!
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

mtbr member
    No the 09's don't have the two set screws it has a the tightening wedge. Turns out, a close inspection of the completely disassembled unit reveals that the EBB shell is malformed. I'm not sure if it was a manufacturing defect or from all the banging and torquing I'd done to it. Used a dremel tool to seriously take some high spots off. After a lot of metal removal, the thing works great now. It still creaks, but I can live with it. I've really decided I don't like this bike. It climbs like the wind but isn't a great descender. The paint scratches and chips like crazy too. Plus Felt was absolutely worthless from a customer service standpoint (same with the dealer). I must say though that the bike has made me significantly faster as my race times are WAY better than last year.

Vegan Athlete
    This bike: http://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalo...nine-solo.aspx

Has two set screws into the bottom bracket.

I called Felt and described the problem. They backed up my idea of easy-outing the screws, putting in a larger screw with some neoprene washers and replacing the EBB with wedge type. Nice guy at Felt, very lame customer service and I was not impressed with them backing up their product.

I get to spend half a day fixing it and buying a new BB because of a design flaw.

Vegan Athlete
    Had my local bike dealer call Felt to try to get a new ECC from them or a deal on one. They were NO HELP. In fact, they were rude. Felt customer service sucks.

mtbr member
    My EBB could be loosened by pounding the loosening bolt to dislodge the split shell, but now the loosening bolt has finally given up the ghost and the EBB is FROZEN in place. It really suck cuz I'm stuck with some crazy low gearing I use for a brutal hilly race. I'm at the point that I guess I need to replace the frame, but I'm pretty infuriated that I only got 1 1/2 years on a bike before the frame needs a sawzall taken to it.