mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2006 Felt Virtue 4 and 2005 Specialized Epic with upgrades

I have been riding road bikes for 3 years now but a total newbie to mountain biking.... looking for a bike for adventure racing and offroad triathlons. I am about 5'9", weigh about 160lb and my budget is about $1500.

My preference was to get a used bike through Craigslist and came across a 2005 Spec Epic which has been upgraded with Juicy 5 disc brakes, Easton handlebar. The owner is asking for $1400 which seems like a reasonable deal.

I also checked out my LBS and found that they are selling a new Felt Virtue 4 at a steep discount as it was a demo bike. With some further 20% off deal, I migth get the bike for about $1300.

I have ridden both bikes but can't decided on which one "feels" good. I have searched and read some reviews for the Epic but haven't found much on the Felt Virtue 4 as its a new line of bikes. I understand that I might have to do some upgrades on the Felt later. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Update: I test rode the Felt again today. Also talked to the store helper and turns out that I can not use a 20% off coupon on this bike. So the cost of this Felt Virtue 4 would be $1480 which still seems to be a reasonable price for the configuration.
    Last edited by catcherintherye; 08-12-2007 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was just browsing the forums, but I thought I'd give a quick reply.

I hope you went with the Felt! I have had mine for about a month now and have put it through all sorts of riding conditions short of chairlift/shuttle runs and it has exceeded all of my expectations. Recently, I have "discovered" some singletrack in the local area with some ridiculously rooty and off-camber uphill sections that I thought would make my rear tire slip. Nope, the Felt sucked it up and not even a hint of slip.

Cheers.

Felt Fat Tire Guy
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Only
    I hope you went with the Felt!
    Couldn't agree more, the Virtue is an awesome sace bike, and the slightly more relaxed Virtue 3/4 geo makes for a great ride on endurance events!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLimey
    Couldn't agree more, the Virtue is an awesome sace bike, and the slightly more relaxed Virtue 3/4 geo makes for a great ride on endurance events!
    This bike sounds great. I have always wanted a SACE bike.
    Happy Trails

Felt Fat Tire Guy
    Nov 2004
    didn't you give up sacing a long time ago?

S is the new R

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i'd have to aggree, given that choice, i think I'd go with the Felt.
    Especially since youre looking for a bike with an XC feel, and I've heard that
    the brain on those epics lessens small bump sensitivity. I've heard that the later
    versions of the brain are better, but still youre relying on a complex proprietary
    shock. I'd rather go with something where you can use any shock you want.