Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 3540
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Finally I got my 9zero7, now I'm building it little by little (since I'm taking care of our new baby)

Only special detail so far the chainstay protector.
    Last edited by patineto; 11-15-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Fat & Single
    Looking good DJ.... some XT hydros would finish the bars off nicely, also has a side effect of dropping a decent weight of the BB7's.

Only 2 tyres.... not even a sneek peek
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Bad cat!
    RaceFace Turbine Cranks 100mm
    I have those on the way, thanks for the preview!

Laramie, Wyoming
    While riding last Sunday, the temperature went from 30 to 6 with winds over 40. My bottles in fifteen minutes were frozen. I stopped, melted some snow, made some hot chocolate, and thawed my bottles in some water but I don't want that happening again. I got online and ordered some anything cages and Outdoor Research Bottle Parkas in a couple different sizes.
    A road bike buddy commented, "You got out your stove?" "Yep, I carry a Jet Boil, just for instances like this."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    While riding last Sunday, the temperature went from 30 to 6 with winds over 40. My bottles in fifteen minutes were frozen. I stopped, melted some snow, made some hot chocolate, and thawed my bottles in some water but I don't want that happening again. I got online and ordered some anything cages and Outdoor Research Bottle Parkas in a couple different sizes.
    A road bike buddy commented, "You got out your stove?" "Yep, I carry a Jet Boil, just for instances like this."

We need a new thread for EXTREME FAT BIKING!

mtbr member
    RaceFace Turbine 100mm Cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    I have those on the way, thanks for the preview!
    QBP was out of stock in a few days. Hope you were 1 of the lucky folks that got a pair. Word has it the (red) cranks will be available soon. First come first serve with anything fat bike before it goes out of stock! These cranks are not the regular Turbines with a 100mm spindle. The Fat cranks only became available last week. RaceFace moved the chain line out so these are true fat cranks. Some frames are not compatible with these cranks. Running mine with a Bash/32/22 set up.
    Cheers
    Last edited by woody_8_5; 11-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Harrumph
    I used the "new" 2x10 Turbines all summer on the Race 29er, a nice product for the price. That said they are not nearly as awesome as the OG Turbines.

I can't tell are they the 3xX or 2xX version? It looks like the 3 chainring version, but the 2 ring would be pretty sweet if that's what was used.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Salsa Beargrease

Here is mine being assembled at the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Laramie, Wyoming
    UPS stopped again today. New Dogwood Poggies. (Wow, these are going to be the ticket for those days under 30 degrees.) New Revelate frame bag. Set up front tire as tubeless. (A test before doing the rear tire.)

Last edited by alphazz; 11-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    UPS stopped again today. New Dogwood Poggies. (Wow, these are going to be the ticket for those days under 30 degrees.) New Revelate frame bag. Set up front tire as tubeless. (A test before doing the rear tire.)

Nice photo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

... and if we just ... Big Fat Friend

Let me introduce you to my BFF...just waiting for some XT ice tech brakes,XO twisters, Problem Solvers front derailleur direct mount adapter,cables and some snow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-img954896.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Let me introduce you to my BFF...just waiting for some XT ice tech brakes,XO twisters, Problem Solvers front derailleur direct mount adapter,cables and some snow.
    Nice Carver!
    Last edited by Fat Bob; 11-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Carver yes indeed...

Good eye Bob ! the bead blasted logo is subtle... someone was asking for more detail so, here we go - no it's not a full fat Jones it's a Carver Chubby. Carver did have a custom frame
    on their website similar to a space frame, I asked if it could be made as a Fat Bike and my wish was granted.Yes it was made in China. I was sent a schematic prior to the build and was able to change the geometry to my liking with Carver's help and input. The welds are quite nice. I was told that this would be the only one made by Carver as Jeff has asked him not to produce anymore...

bike weenie
    First fatbike purchase... Muk3 frame, upgraded tires, drivetrain, cranks, bars, post, seat. Ridden twice so far, love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-dsc00478.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm new to this site, and have been stalking all the fat bike posts. I just ordered a surly neck romancer and it's coming as a complete in a box. No surly dealer anywhere near me. Wondering if any of you guys could tell me if the assemble is within the realm of a rookie bike mechanic. I don't have a clue how many pieces the thing is going to be in. I'm looking forward to it, but don't know if I need to be making a call to the LBS for an assembly quote. Also, I'm going to have a brand new never ridden 2013 redline monobelt for sale if you know any one interested. My wife got me the redline as a birthday present, but I wanted a fatbike. The monobelt is sweet with the reba, hydros, and new center track system, but I couldn't help myself. I figured I could peddle the monobelt to fund most of my new fatbike. I'll post a pic when I get the new pugsley (after it's assembled).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hrh00b View Post
    I'm new to this site, and have been stalking all the fat bike posts. I just ordered a surly neck romancer and it's coming as a complete in a box. No surly dealer anywhere near me. Wondering if any of you guys could tell me if the assemble is within the realm of a rookie bike mechanic. I don't have a clue how many pieces the thing is going to be in. I'm looking forward to it, but don't know if I need to be making a call to the LBS for an assembly quote. Also, I'm going to have a brand new never ridden 2013 redline monobelt for sale if you know any one interested. My wife got me the redline as a birthday present, but I wanted a fatbike. The monobelt is sweet with the reba, hydros, and new center track system, but I couldn't help myself. I figured I could peddle the monobelt to fund most of my new fatbike. I'll post a pic when I get the new pugsley (after it's assembled).
    Assuming it is as it comes from Surly, it will need the steerer tube cut for the fork, and then the brakes and derailleurs will need to be trimmed properly (both cables as well as the "trim" of the shifting). If these are something you are comfortable doing, then you will be all set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks a bunch for the info. I'll probably get it all assemble then maybe take it to the bike shop for the trimming. I need to get some stuff anyways up there(pedals, a new helmet, etc), so maybe they'll hook me up on the fine tuning.

mtbr member
    I picked up an extra tube and a chain-stay protector. If I could get rid of this damn sinus infection I could actually ride the thing again!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2015 GT Grade 105

29 TO LIFE
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Good eye Bob ! the bead blasted logo is subtle... someone was asking for more detail so, here we go - no it's not a full fat Jones it's a Carver Chubby. Carver did have a custom frame
    on their website similar to a space frame, I asked if it could be made as a Fat Bike and my wish was granted.Yes it was made in China. I was sent a schematic prior to the build and was able to change the geometry to my liking with Carver's help and input. The welds are quite nice. I was told that this would be the only one made by Carver as Jeff has asked him not to produce anymore...
    Did Blacksheep get asked to stop making their bikes? What a load of crap. Jeff did not invent the design. He shouldn't ask anyone to stop using a frame design the he copied himself. I think carver should put it into production.

Bad cat!
    RF turbine--my super cool LBS owner ordered them direct from RaceFace, 1x with bash.

And just put it all together, sorry for the boring garage shot...31.6 lbs as pictured...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-img_1234.jpg  

Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-img_1235.jpg  

Dinner for wolves
    That 907 is strictly the biz.
    Responds to gravity

Bad cat!
    Thanks Buddhak! Won't be able to find out how much biz is in it until after Thanksgiving unfortunately...

Ipso Facto

Is this an adaptor?

[QUOTE=All Seasons Cyclist;8835771]I just got my Pugs last week I made a lot of modifications, but the best was the Shimano Alfine SG-S501 8-Speed Internal Hub. A complete list of the modifications can be seen at:

Are you putting this 135mm hub in a 170mm frame? I'm trying to find a solution for this. Not sure how it would work if so giving that the hub is a bolt on. Unless that end is threaded. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Wil

mtbr member
    Tuff Rack for the car
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-imag0183.jpg  

Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_ben View Post
    RF turbine--my super cool LBS owner ordered them direct from RaceFace, 1x with bash.

And just put it all together, sorry for the boring garage shot...31.6 lbs as pictured...
    That’s a righteous setup. Looking forward to a Lefty on my 9:zero:7 someday for riding the technical stuff.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post

giving 11 speed a go eh?

mtbr member
    new Dogwood pogies charcoal colour. these are well made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-poggie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cat investigating the new noodle shaped object.

Human Test Subject
    I made my helmet better with spikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Serfas tool

I've had my Salsa Beargrease a week and the first thing I've purchased for it is this serfas ST-17i CO2 Inflator tool and a couple of 25 gr cartridges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-multi-tool.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I made my helmet better with spikes.
    And rockin' a Beardski too. Well played Sir!

mtbr member

First ever wheel build; Holey Rolling Darryl, Circus Monkey Lefty Hub, Sapim Laser Spokes with Chrome Brass nipples. Not the straightest, or most round, although most of the deviation is at the weld, and it's a single wall fatbike wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Where am I? Again.

I'm a Target Too.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSyncro View Post

First ever wheel build; Holey Rolling Darryl, Circus Monkey Lefty Hub, Sapim Laser Spokes with Chrome Brass nipples. Not the straightest, or most round, although most of the deviation is at the weld, and it's a single wall fatbike wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Darryls with even joints are VERY few and far between.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cendres View Post
    Darryls with even joints are VERY few and far between.
    I was truing my front wheel before installing my Bud last night. I got it very close to radially true on the left side but there was still a notable radial jog on the right side. Truing is enough of a hassle when the rims are actually straight to begin with.

I'm a Target Too.
    Quote Originally Posted by gecho View Post
    I was truing my front wheel before installing my Bud last night. I got it very close to radially true on the left side but there was still a notable radial jog on the right side. Truing is enough of a hassle when the rims are actually straight to begin with.
    I'm with you. I really am getting frustrated with the lack of QC applied to fat rims and tires. At least they're reasonably priced.

gone walk about
    I'm with you. I really am getting frustrated with the lack of QC applied to fat rims and tires. At least they're reasonably priced.
    compared to a truck tire sure

mtbr member
    Initially I was not happy with the variations in the rims, but these are for 4" tyres after all, and so the effect of a little inaccuracy in the rim isn't going to be noticed compared to say, a 700c wheel with a skinny tyre.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    Getting the tyre central on the wheel is the biggest issue, theres a 10mm wiggle on both my buds
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Getting the tyre central on the wheel is the biggest issue, theres a 10mm wiggle on both my buds
    That's the way I should have said it
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My latest fatbike purchase is... um... snowshoes...

We've had over 60cm of snowfall this November, compared to 50cm all last year. I think they are saying we broke the local snowfall record for this month.

After the first big dump a 2hr hike-a-bike brought home the reality that you have to walk before you ride. So I picked up my first set of snowshoes. It turns out snowshoeing isn't all bad. In fact it is kind of fun in its own way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-dsc01398.jpg  

Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-dsc01396.jpg  

Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-dsc01380.jpg  

Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-dsc01381.jpg  

gone walk about
    ^ ^ haha great stuff

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post

...can't wait to see it!

mtbr member
    There's a bear in my garage! Nothing better then buying yourself a early X-mas gift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-image.jpg  

2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29'er Carbon 1

2009 Cannondale Super Six Red

2013 Salsa Beargrease

2012 Surly Pugsley

gone walk about
    ^ nuthin like knowing what to get yourself

Fat & Single
    Very nice
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

the fat family

a few different kinds of fat...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-20121126_151859.jpg  

Your Latest Fatbike Related Purchase (pics required!)-20121126_152020.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Nice pair!

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDL View Post
    a few different kinds of fat...
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by b2b2 View Post
    I got sick of my shimano pedals icing up. I think these will shed mud and ice/snow better.
    Do you need special shoes for these or do they work with SPD compatible shoes?