Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Are You New To Fatbikes? Look Here.

There is a lot of new interest in fatbikes lately, which is great. I welcome more innovation and fresh ideas. There are a lot of new; bikes, tires, wheels, and gear...

Along with a heightened interest in the fatbike scene, there are the new or potential fatbike riders joining mtbr to gain more knowledge or ask more questions about the sport.

There is a PLETHORA of information on the forum about everything fatbike. My suggestion to new comers is to review the first 10 pages of the fatbike forum before creating a new thread, which may be asking for information that as already been covered (sometimes many times). If the data you are looking for isn't in the first ten pages, maybe consider creating a new thread.

Cliffs: If you are new, read the first 10 pages of this forum before creating a new thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been FatBiking for 2 weeks now. Loving the transition!

Re: Are You New To Fatbikes? Look Here.

Good post... this should be pinned for sure. I've realized that basically every question you could have on fat bikes has already been answered many times in this forum. Obviously not on some of the new stuff... but mostly.

mighty sailin' man
    You are assuming someone would read and obey this if it's stickied. Won't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Good point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I understand that a new user might not have the time to read that much, but at least they will know why I am getting ready to throw a snowball at them when they create a thread asking to see pictures of a moon lander.

I know that everyone is trying to foster a forum that allows people to feel comfortable to ask questions...which is great. But as with a newbie to any forum, they should take their time to explore and research before that go off blasting new threads.

Also, any chance to bump up the required amount of posts or membership time required before you can start a thread?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Also, any chance to bump up the required amount of posts or membership time required before you can start a thread?
    What happens when someone new comes here, takes an afternoon to read through hundreds of posts to get eddacated, and then has some valid questions to post? I think being able to post a question soon after coming here is fine.

For me, if I see someone post the mentioned "I'd like to see some Moonlander pics" thread, it's easy enough for me to just pass on by and not worry about it. Sometimes, forum rules are like trail signage - the less the better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    What happens when someone new comes here, takes an afternoon to read through hundreds of posts to get eddacated, and then has some valid questions to post? I think being able to post a question soon after coming here is fine.
    I don't know that asking to read hundreds of posts is reasonable, you are correct. I do think that reviewing the first 10 pages of information is reasonable though (i.e. look at the titles of the threads on pg. 1, now do the same on pg. 2, 3, 4, etc.....)

If none of the threads have a title that might fit your question, use the search function to get more in depth with your query.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Think about it this way. If every user created a thread for her/his question, there would be countless repetative threads on the same subject. So when I fella like me wants to do a search, either on here or google, I get pages and pages and pages of different threads, all with the same info in them.

It's a common practice similar to "naming convention". I am at work and want to find part "a", I search for part "a" using a certain criteria. Now if everyone who creates parts names them slightly different, or the information is entered in a slightly different way, IT WILL BE A MESS!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey, instead of acting like a bag of *****, here's a suggestion...MAKE A CONCISE FAQ FOR NEW RIDERS TO FOLLOW.

Nobody is going to take the time to read 10 pages of threads because there's not a lot of good, relevant information there. The fat bike FAQ is a start, but it's a bad one. It's not stickied, and it's not indexed either. You'll have to scroll through 4 pages of posts to find relevant info. For example, if I want to learn about BB options, I have to scroll to post 26, which is FROM 2009. Instead, you should have an indexed thread with a single post at the start listing a SEPARATE thread for each topic. then, you could have a thread discussing BB options from 2009, that would still be relevant today, because somebody could just post at the bottom of it with any new options that pop up. Since it would be indexed and stickied in a separate post, it would be really easy for anybody to find and reference.

People think posts like these help. "Do a search", "It's been posted", etc. All you're doing is cluttering up the forum and NOT HELPING ANYBODY ELSE OUT. If you can take the time to post "Do a search", then you can take the time to do a search and post the results.

mighty sailin' man
    Even the OP is guilty, just sayin

Let it go, do what you can to direct others to existing posts
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Hey, instead of acting like a bag of *****, here's a suggestion...MAKE A CONCISE FAQ FOR NEW RIDERS TO FOLLOW.
    Nice!! I remember when I was a tween on the internet acting tough.

Not going to take the time creating a thread like that when people are still just going to do whatever they want regardless.

Thanks for the neg rep btw.

People think posts like these help. "Do a search", "It's been posted", etc. All you're doing is cluttering up the forum and NOT HELPING ANYBODY ELSE OUT. If you can take the time to post "Do a search", then you can take the time to do a search and post the results.
    Actually, you have it backwards. What clutters up the forums is repetative threads.

This type of thinking is what is creating our "gotta have it now" society. I want it now, and I don't want to work for it. But I will sure as hell let someone else do the work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Even the OP is guilty, just sayin
    You are 100% correct. Never said I was an angel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice!! I remember when I was a tween on the internet acting tough.

Not going to take the time creating a thread like that when people are still just going to do whatever they want regardless.

Actually, you have it backwards. What clutters up the forums is repetative threads.

This type of thinking is what is creating our "gotta have it now" society. I want it now, and I don't want to work for it. But I will sure as hell let someone else do the work for me.
    yeah dude, that's me, a tween acting tough. It's not like I'm a moderator over on another forum, nor like I've ever put together one of these threads to held people condense information. No, it's far easier to call everybody stupid and tell them to spend the next 48 hours reading posts where people call each other stupid for not trying/trying tubeless or whether offset is good or not.

Making repetitive threads is bad, yes, but collecting and aggregating information in an easy to use reference is not that hard.

Nemophilist
    Ha;

I was just going to say that is far harder for one person to sit and grind out a really good FAQ - and keep it constantly updated - than it is to simply breeze past the junk threads you don't want to read. Now that I read that it is so easy, and you, sandwich, are so good at it, I vote that you actually do it. It would indeed be a good thing. Wonder how many of the noobs would actually use it?

I understand the OP for sure, but it is unfortunately just a pipe dream.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Creating a decent FAQ and intro sticky thread would actually go a long way to solve this problem.

Of course, there will always be some people who are not going to take the time to read the FAQ or will not take the time to read 10 pages of posts or will not take the time to use the search function.

Similarly, there are people who are "not going to take the time to create a thread like that".

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    yeah dude, that's me, a tween acting tough. It's not like I'm a moderator over on another forum.

No, it's far easier to call everybody stupid and tell them to spend the next 48 hours reading posts.
    Never suggested to read every post. Only to review the thread titles to see if a thread may already exist that would answer their questions.

Making repetitive threads is bad, yes, but collecting and aggregating information in an easy to use reference is not that hard.
    So you swear and yell at me for trying to help prevent repetitive threads, but then say that repetative threads are bad? I don't follow.

Regardless, I don't want to sound like a thread Nazi, nor do I intend to come across as a bag of ***** who is trying to act like I know something. Just thought it would be a good reminder that there is a lot of hard work and information already existing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ... you gotta watch yourself on the mean streets of MTBR ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Ha;

I was just going to say that is far harder for one person to sit and grind out a really good FAQ - and keep it constantly updated - than it is to simply breeze past the junk threads you don't want to read. Now that I read that it is so easy, and you, sandwich, are so good at it, I vote that you actually do it. It would indeed be a good thing. Wonder how many of the noobs would actually use it?

I understand the OP for sure, but it is unfortunately just a pipe dream.
    I'd be happy to! Except I'm one of the noobs who doesn't know anything. It's not hard to create a helpful FAQ, and add to it when a good topic comes along, but I just don't know enough about fatbikes to help yet. I'm trying to learn as much as I can at the moment, but I can't feel like OP's bitterness was directed at me. Google searching site:mtbr.com only goes so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    but I can't feel like OP's bitterness was directed at me. Google searching site:mtbr.com only goes so far.
    Not bitter at all. But when you pop in the thread and act a certain way, I reciprocate. I don't do well sugar coating things, and am very direct. Which makes me a good engineer, but sometimes misunderstood.

You are correct, google and the search function here won't always get you the exact answer.

I vote we stop the disputing, and carry on with our fatness.

Nemophilist
    Ahhh.......

He's got THE KNACK. That explains it.

Sandwich, fair enough. I suggest you get right on those ten pages of threads, post haste!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Useless threads wither and die. I never understood the whole thread Nazi thing. If you don't like it don't read it, or let the mods handle it.

mighty sailin' man
    let that be a lesson for you. Think about that the next time you try and be helpful

I'll hit you back +1 once I reload

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    ... you gotta watch yourself on the mean streets of MTBR ...
    Can be a "tough crowd"...

One thing I've noticed is it's not so easy or "fool proof" searching out old threads. The "search" system rarely turns up the thread I'm looking for. I often end up searching through page after page 'till I manually find it. Also, our ideas in fat biking differ and change allot as it evolves. FAQ threads are good, but rarely cover every aspect of someone's curiosity (and the answer(s) may change w/ the next "crop" of gear offerings)... what works for me in the sand & snow conditions I encounter, often doesn't work so well for someone in a different climate. With so many folks jumping on board, I'm afraid your stuck w/ lots of repetitive threads.

mtbr member
    reprep

Here's your FAQ info for the new people: Google your question and add MTBR at the end. Seriously, no one is trying to be a dick here, but for those of us who enjoy this forum... it gets SO SICKENING seeing the same question that was asked 2 months or less ago over and over and over again. Work the internets... it's not that hard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast